Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a Spanish 1916 short rifle in original 7x57 and I have a few questions. Will try to post pix soon.

First off, it has a cleaning rod, which I dont think is the right one. The one I have now bulges near the end where you would put your patches and actually doesn't fit in the barrel. This one also doesn't have a groove cut midway down the rod to click into the rifle which I think is how the 1916 was supposed to work, Does that sound right?

Second anyone know of a good source of stripper clips for this rifle (or 5 round ones that would work)?

Finally its a scrubbed reciever, no crest no date. Does have matching serials and no import mark. Serial 1584 matching on the receiver and bolt, the reciever also has a Q or maybe its and O with a nubin sticking out at the 5'oclock position in front of the serial number (Q1584?). I was wondering if anyone had a book that could tell me when this rifle was produced by the serial number?

Thanks for any information. Pics soon I hope.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Spain scrubbed and re-numbered almost all their rifles during reworks shortly following the Spanish Civil War. The only marks that survived the scrubbing were an occasional stamp on some minor parts, such as bands.

I ran across a website a few months ago that told about when what serial numbers got refurbed, but I can't find it now. You might try Googling '1916 Spanish Mauser Serial Numbers' and see what comes up.

There is a guy at a local 'monthly' gun show I go to that has been selling good, clean, 7mm stripper clips for 50 cents apiece. I bought about a half dozen of them last month to use with my Type 99 Arisaka (they work well in them, too).

If you can't get any anywhere else and if you are interested I can try to buy some next month and make some sort of mutual arrangement to send them to you.

This guy may have about a dozen of these clips left. Not really sure.

PM me if you are interested and let me know how many you need. I am sure we can arrange something.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
So I just got a Spanish 1916 short rifle in original 7x57 and I have a few questions. Will try to post pix soon.

First off, it has a cleaning rod, which I dont think is the right one. The one I have now bulges near the end where you would put your patches and actually doesn't fit in the barrel. This one also doesn't have a groove cut midway down the rod to click into the rifle which I think is how the 1916 was supposed to work, Does that sound right?

Second anyone know of a good source of stripper clips for this rifle (or 5 round ones that would work)?

Finally its a scrubbed reciever, no crest no date. Does have matching serials and no import mark. Serial 1584 matching on the receiver and bolt, the reciever also has a Q or maybe its and O with a nubin sticking out at the 5'oclock position in front of the serial number (Q1584?). I was wondering if anyone had a book that could tell me when this rifle was produced by the serial number?

Thanks for any information. Pics soon I hope.
First off put up some pics.The type of rear sight can help identify your rifle.From what I've read if you have the earlier rear type sight
(Lange visier) there is a registry of S/Ns to date it.If it has the later tangent rear sight I see no way to date it.They all were made between 1939 and 1960.

Some of these

include 1893 long rifles that were cut down to the short rifle model.It can be a bit confusing.But mausers in general can be a bit daunting.I bought a great reference book,Mausers-Military Rifles of the World 5th edition (about $18 on Amazon.com).There is a world of info there about all the varieties.Seems like they're like fly's,they're everywhere.But it's fascinating reading,with a ton of
illustrations.
If what I posted is wrong someone please correct me.Dont want to mislead anyone.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I looked again and I seem to be getting contradictory info from Spanmauhome and MausersMRotW.Spanmauhome seems to list the S/Ns and in the ones with a Q prefix they seem to have been made in around 1926.
In Mausers the section with Spanish mausers says the 7mm 1916s with scrubbed recievers were produced from 1939 to 1960.
I bet if John Wall reads this thread we'll get the correct info.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The only Model 1916's that can be positively dated are the ones that have a date on the receiver crest. Yours was refurbed, and there is no way to tell what the original manufacture date was, or even what type of rifle (Model 1893 or 1916) that it started as. When it was refurbed, it was reserialed as well, so you cannot find the date of manufacture from that. The original dated Model 1916's were made with both lange vizier and tangent rear sights.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The only Model 1916's that can be positively dated are the ones that have a date on the receiver crest. Yours was refurbed, and there is no way to tell what the original manufacture date was, or even what type of rifle (Model 1893 or 1916) that it started as. When it was refurbed, it was reserialed as well, so you cannot find the date of manufacture from that. The original dated Model 1916's were made with both lange vizier and tangent rear sights.
My researialzed 1916 still has the original S/N on the barrel.It dates to 1925 build.The new S/N is the OT prefix,of which there were supposedly only 50K done over in 7.62 Nato or Cetme.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.