Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I got a Spanish 1916 bayonet on the cheap, because it was rusty and the scabbard had black electrical tape holding the leather to the top metal piece. I've gotten all the rust off I'm going to, and sewed the top 1/2" of leather back together (seam came apart), but I can only find holes for one staple on the front of the metal and leather. How'd they hold the leather and metal together at the back?

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
David,
In some cases some countries used some sort of glue in addition to staples. " fish glue " is mentioned in a couple of sources. I have a 1913 Spanish bayonet that shows signs of some sort of glue for the scabbard tip as well as the usual staple. Depending on the storage and/or care history of similar leather scabbards shrinkage would often break the thin bond of the glue which of course results in a loose fit of the metal to the leather. Similar glues were also called " hide glues " and are very close to " Casein glue " which is dry flaky glue that when mixed with water to the right consistency makes a bond almost as strong as modern epoxy. Just takes a while to cure ( about 24 hrs.) when I used it as a kid. Joe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts