Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to get my first Spanish 1916 short rifle and wanting one that hasn’t had the national emblem scrubbed. I’ve been looking on Gunbroker, and a few other vendors. Most the of the ones I have seen are in rough condition and are being sold for more than what they appear to be worth, many having rust and pitting. Should I hold off on blind buying one of these rifles? I found a vendor that sells them for around $200 but you’re not able to pick which rifle you get. I’d hate to order one and not be able to use it. Is it worth it to blind buy, or should I keep looking on the big vendor’s websites and watching gunbroker, or just blind buy from the vendor selling for $200 and hope to get a decent example? I know some have been converted to .308/7.62x51, is that something to worry about or were the conversions done well?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd steer away from the $200 gunsmith specials, regardless of make, model or caliber, In my experience, some of it painful, you get less than what you pay for when the seller "chooses" one for you. Sure, you'll likely pay more for a Spanish M1916 on GB or some of the other bigger volume sites, but they are not rare and you can always ask for more pics and details. And when a seller says he can't provide more pics or info, for any reason, run and don't look back!

I know people who own and shoot the 7.62 converted 1916s but I have steered clear of them. Besides the 7x57 Mauser in which most are chambered is a fantastic round and it had the distinction of being available at our local gun shops all through this crazy COVID-induced ammo supply chain mess. And if you reload, there are plenty of bullets in .285 that will help you tune things up if you wish.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We are at the 'bottom of the bottom of the barrel' phase of the military surplus market I'm afraid. I just laugh at what people ask for some 16's on GB. No matter how you go about it you're likely gonna find lug setback of varying degrees. I agree that if you go the Hobson's Choice route there is a strong probability of regret. If you can afford to spend the same as you would on a new gun you can always wait for Larry Eisel (gray blanket man) to show one and bid against people who have waaay more money than you do! The thing about GB is, one has to be relentless and patient. If just want to shoot, buy one that's been hashed into a sporter with just the stock goobered that over time, you can correct.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have several. I would recommend you buy something else. Really. Get one later as a 3rd rifle to play with or just look at, but for something to shoot, I seriously doubt there are any decent shooting 1916's out there on the market today, certainly not in the sub $300 range. Except for the ones converted to 308. I bet they shoot just fine, as the conversion was done post war and they were not shot out. All the 7x57's and going to be junk, but fun to look at.

Now, the Turks, yeah, if you get one of those that is in decent condition, they are going to be good shooters.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I offered my little saddle ring carbine (7 x 57) for $375.00CDN, a while back, but the dude put me up on trial for less...told him to take a metric hike. Mine is tight as F*&ck and shoots well at 100 mtrs. A safe queen for just nigh on 50 years.

Truck gun of your dreams...but scrubbed.

·
Registered
A Collector of Military rifles 1865-1970
50 Posts
I would highly recommend avoiding the $200 option, having done so only a few months back, I was disappointed with the end result. But there’s a reason they go for $200 in today’s market, they aren’t great. I had a 7x57 1932 Oviedo, it was a Franco refurb with a horrendous bore and a bolt that was immensely sticky, even after cleaning it thoroughly twice. I sold it to make up for some of the loss.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The main reason I want to get one is the history they carry with being part of the Spanish Civil War, I just find the that conflict really interesting

·
Registered
28 Posts
great rifles, but like everyone said stay away from the $200 examples. I played around with several of these. If you need stocks keep an eye on apex gun parts. They listed 10 a few weeks ago sold out in a day.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I’m looking to get my first Spanish 1916 short rifle and wanting one that hasn’t had the national emblem scrubbed. I’ve been looking on Gunbroker, and a few other vendors. Most the of the ones I have seen are in rough condition and are being sold for more than what they appear to be worth, many having rust and pitting. Should I hold off on blind buying one of these rifles? I found a vendor that sells them for around $200 but you’re not able to pick which rifle you get. I’d hate to order one and not be able to use it. Is it worth it to blind buy, or should I keep looking on the big vendor’s websites and watching gunbroker, or just blind buy from the vendor selling for $200 and hope to get a decent example? I know some have been converted to .308/7.62x51, is that something to worry about or were the conversions done well?
Get these Spanish M16 as long as they're available. They won't decrease in value...
Spanish_1916_Serials

If any remains of receiver crest is visible: If receiver crest year matches to the Serial # year, then get her!!!

Chris

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up getting one with the fasces on the receiver and one dated 1921. Going to sell one of them, on the lookout for one of Spanish Cavalry Carbine

·
Registered
246 Posts
Will be very interested to hear how you make out. As one who got sucked into buying a beat-up Ethiopian M30 carbine because of its cool history, I can certainly understand your fascination with the history of firearms used in the Spanish Civil War

1 - 14 of 14 Posts