Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All matching metal, (have not checked the wood), lots of issues, fits right in with my collection of culls, cast-offs and non-collectibles.

My first impression was that the finish had been stripped from the stock, now I'm not so sure.

Kaiser Alexander Garde-Grenadier-Regiment, Ersatz Bataillon

$500 at John Wall's favorite TX gunshop

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi John,
Love your wheel-away gun security case in Pic # 7! Great idea co-locating your pet wolverine with your Mausers! Is that his tooth mark in Pic 4?

BTW, was there anything I can't live without at my "favorite TX gunshop"???
Regards,
John

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing to interest you unless you need some mosin 91/30s
That is the bed for my attack ducks, they keep the area cleared of all kinds of varmints.

However it appears that they may be conspiring with one of the vicious bunny wabbits that hang around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have one in a little worse condition, at least externally. No bluing left at all. Picked it up at a gun show about threee years ago. I was astounded when I inspected it at the show to find a near-perfect bore. It is one of my best-shooting military rifles!

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,752 Posts
All matching metal, (have not checked the wood), lots of issues, fits right in with my collection of culls, cast-offs and non-collectibles.

My first impression was that the finish had been stripped from the stock, now I'm not so sure.

Kaiser Alexander Garde-Grenadier-Regiment, Ersatz Bataillon
View attachment 765271 View attachment 765272 View attachment 765273 View attachment 765274 View attachment 765275 View attachment 765276 View attachment 765277 View attachment 765278 View attachment 765279 View attachment 765280

$500 at John Wall's favorite TX gunshop

Yo Jeb & John,

Look's more like a leopard rather than a wolverine? Perhaps this rifle ended up with the Schutzetruppe and the poor Askari who carried it was mauled by a leopard or two???

While I ONLY use it in rare circumstances where enough harm has already been done and there's little or nothing to lose, I have different types of flexible fine and ultra-fine sanding/polishing sponges covered with abrasive on one side. We've used them in the foundry and forging industries for years. I'm pretty sure I still have your address Jebber? If not I'll PM you.

Personally, I would use ultra-fine steel wool and your choice of oils on the blued portions of the rifle, however I would very carefully remove the worst of the leopard scratches and rust from the receiver, bolt and any other pieces that are finished in the white with the sponge pads. I'd probably apply it to the butt-plate tang as well with damn near all the blue gone already.

If the rifle was simply covered with patina, I'd never recommend this approach, however after the leopard had at that poor Askari I think the rifle needs a touch of "restoration" rather than simple TLC!

I'll be home tonight and can pop the pads in the mail for you. You can experiment with each grit on a rusted garden tool or two so that you have a feel for the individual finish that each of the different pads is capable of creating. If you have any questions when you have experimented with them, we can chat on the phone if you have any questions.

The great thing about these pads is that they don't drag out or thin out the markings!

Otherwise, nice find! Not bad at that price either.

Warmest regards,

John

PS - Damn!.......That stock looks mighty thirsty???

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx John!

I'd sworn off project rifles but I couldn't let this one sit there. It'll never be mint but I figure I can make it presentable again. I only looked it over & thought it over about five times before I finally bit the bullet.

I'd like to try the sponges, I'll put my dremel back in the cabinet....

Hopefully before it gets to be full-on summer I'll have a chance to tear it down, right now I can't even get in my gunroom.

JS - pm inbound & HUGE thanx!

I did remember to look at the bore when I got it home - almost perfect?

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,509 Posts
Even a bottom feeder (like me) occasionally finds a waterlogged acorn. ;)

Regards,
Bill

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,752 Posts
Noted Jebber!

I'll confirm when they go out with the mail.

She'll clean up to be presentable and remain a good shooter. Nice find at that price!

Warmest regards,

John

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,509 Posts
I still can't believe the previous owner used sandpaper on the metal - but not on the wood!??!
Keep thinking "matching, matching, matching . . . "

Regards,
Bill

·
Gold Bullet member
11,647 Posts
Nice find, Jebber. I am increasingly fond of the IG Mod 71 and Mod 71/84 rifles. The quality and workmanship that went into them is top-notch, particularly when they show up in excellent condition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts