Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to the great work of the Russian researcher Ruslan Chumak, several of the repair markings found on refurbished Soviet weapons have now been positively identified. I have translated his table (for the most part and poorly), and any mistakes are mine alone. See the attachment below, for some reason the board keeps shrinking the image inside the post. A big thank you also to forum member Ratnik for forwarding me the information!

Important: the "/1\" has been definitely identified as the marking of the 1871st ABV in Liski, Russia. It is not at all connected to East Germany. The "DDR Mosin" myth is now completely busted, if I haven't busted it enough already. The words "DDR" and "Mosin" should not even be used in the same sentence. Ever.

ABV (АБВ) = Aртиллерийская База Вооружения, Artillery Base for Ordnance
GRAU (ГРАУ) = Главное ракетно-артиллерийское управление МО, Main Missile and Artillery Directorate of the Ministry of Defense

For those of you who read Russian, Ruslan's full article can be located here: http://www.artillery-museum.ru/assets/files/conf-2014-4.pdf. The last two arsenals in the table were not fully identified before the article was published, but Mr. Chumak posted an update to his table on guns.ru which Ratnik generously forwarded to me.

*Update: I completely missed the changes to the symbols of two arsenals in the latest update: 40th Arsenal and 1827th ABV. Fixed.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,829 Posts
Most excellent.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,599 Posts
Thank you for posting this!

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Link does not work. Just a "404" notice.

Thank you RyanE for posting this. Great work. You may have been debunking the /1\=DDR myth but the Mosin-Nagant and the NVA or KdA can be used in the same sentence insofar as the DDR did field some WWII-vintage Soviet small arms, particularly the Shpagin SMG. You may "have busted it enough already" but finally we have documentation. :cheers:

In light of the new info, I'll go ahead and update my Mosin-Nagant data sheets to reflect which particular facility "refurbished" the rifle. I have one Liski Moscow district rifle. :thumbsup:

Question: Solnechny and Alatyr, e.g. ABV Turkestan and 5th Grau are quite similar. I have several "refurbs" that bear simply a diamond/trapezoid shape with no other additional lines. Is this mark still another facility awaiting another article, or is it associated with one or another of the Solnechny and Alatyr plants?

Question 2: It would seem that Blakleya did vast numbers of stocks while No. 7th at Riga in Latvia/Lettland did vast numbers of the hot-dipped re-blued refurbished barreled actions, no?

Again, thank you for the translation. I've saved the table and this weekend it will be great to add this terrific new information. :clap:

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Link should be fixed. Yes, all of this is meticulously researched by Mr. Chumak, who served I'm the GRAU, on the archives.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
I get:
Ошибка 404

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
While folks will be very furiously going over the revelation about the true meaning of the /1\ marking, I'd like to point out--although I'm sure very many folks have already done so--that the /9\ mark appears here too... So this is also a boon. In fact, the single nicest Soviet refurbished 91/30 I own is from that very spot.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I wonder how many people are going to keep saying its DDR haha. Sticky this!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Question: Solnechny and Alatyr, e.g. ABV Turkestan and 5th Grau are quite similar. I have several "refurbs" that bear simply a diamond/trapezoid shape with no other additional lines. Is this mark still another facility awaiting another article, or is it associated with one or another of the Solnechny and Alatyr plants?
No, probably not. There are probably dozens of these markings at a minimum. The ones in the table are only those which Chumak has positively identified. He may identify more markings in the future.

Question 2: It would seem that Blakleya did vast numbers of stocks while No. 7th at Riga in Latvia/Lettland did vast numbers of the hot-dipped re-blued refurbished barreled actions, no?
No idea. I don't pay much attention to refurbs. As a German collector, my interest was only in smashing the DDR myth lol.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
I look forward to it!

I'd say that you have, indeed "busted the myth" of the DDR markings... Great stuff! Oh yes. STICKY.
As for my refurbs--which I spend a great deal of attention on:
If this information is correct, then my Mosin-Nagant rifles were refurbished at the following facilities:

1924 РСФСР Tula at 1st GRAU Balakleya
1928 CCCP Tula at 7th GRAU Riga
1927 Izhevsk at 1st GRAU Balakleya
1930 Izhevsk at 7th GRAU Riga
1941 no maker at 5th GRAU Alatyr or ABV Turkestan Solnechny or an as yet undisclosed facility
1929 Tula /1\ at Moscow, Liski [yes, I bought it as a "DDR mark" but it is still quite nice...]
My 1944 Tula remains unknown with the [l] mark that will hopefully be identified
My 1941 Izhevsk hex bears the <> that could be either 5th GRAU Alatyr or ABV Turkestan or still another facility.
My third 1941 Izhevsk hex at 2nd GRAU Kiev
My 1939 Izhevsk at Serbdosk

I'm pulling out my magnifying glass to give some others a going over, including my 1921 Izhevsk! :thumbsup::cheers:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts