Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a knowledge of small arms used by the South Manchuria Railway police/soldiers in the 30s? I came across a German-made (not a Chinese copy) C96 with a logo on it that looks very similar to the SMR logo. Does anyone know if they procured Mauser pistols, or if this might be something else entirely? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 7.55.19 AM.png

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Following. Quite an interesting idea, though I wonder if there were railways that the Germans controlled that had stamps too?

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Some pics with sources shown. Multiple images of Chinese soldiers using Mausers. SMR was in China, and the various railways had their own police/soldier guard units. So it's definitely within the realm of possiblities that one of the raiways (there were more than just SMR) stamped this weapon.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
I don;'t know what was used by the South Manchuria Railroad; but doubt that that is a SMR stamp. The outer part of the SMR logo is a stylized M, not a circle. I doubt that an error like this would be made in preparing a stamp.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Agreed. I've posted the question at NMB and Wehrmacht-awards, and haven't found anyone who recognizes it, but general consensus is that it's not SMR. Most likely one of the many other rail lines in China.

Here's the SMR logo

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
While not exact, the similarity is striking, especially considering that the die for the stamp may have been made by someone not familiar with Western alphabets (common among skilled workers in that era). How many railroad companies used a cross section of a trestle for a logo? I think that a great MAYBE should be in order.

The South Manchurian Railway had extra-territorial rights over terrain all along the rail lines, and also operated as an intelligence agency. Manchuria suffered from endemic banditry going back to the Chinese Imperial days. Although the Japanese Kwantung Army provided security along the lines, the SMR may have had a police force as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts