Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a clone and was thinking of looking for a Troy but all I've seen have M4 feed ramps and a 1/7 twist. Anyone make something more correct?

I've also heard the handguards are of poor quality, anyone make retro 6 holes that feel like the real deal? Not Brownells modern dull plastic.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Looking to buy a clone and was thinking of looking for a Troy but all I've seen have M4 feed ramps and a 1/7 twist. Anyone make something more correct?

I've also heard the handguards are of poor quality, anyone make retro 6 holes that feel like the real deal? Not Brownells modern dull plastic.
You can make a legal one with a M4 barrel and the long flash supressor, as for parts? I don't know if they were ever parted out, if they were, it's hens teeth.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You can make a legal one with a M4 barrel and the long flash supressor, as for parts? I don't know if they were ever parted out, if they were, it's hens teeth.
If someone wants a barrel that DOESN'T have M4 feed ramps and 1/7 twist, that's not really useful advice.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,396 Posts
When I built mine I went with Brownells and used USGI hand guards I bought. After looking around at that time it seemed like the best option…

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I built mine I went with Brownells and used USGI hand guards I bought. After looking around at that time it seemed like the best option…
They sell the barrel and flash-hider separate, I'd have to get it pinned & welded. I've heard they're longer than the Troys too.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I actually have one I put together in the early 70's. Numrich Gun Parts had surplus barrels for a long time back then. Nobody wanted them. From what I can see, the extension was silver soldered on via a small hole in the extension, the same way the barrel/chamber extension was soldered. I still hunt with it sometimes. With heavy clothes and a heavy pack it is very handy to have an adjustable stock and "Shorti" barrel.
Hunting Grass Recreation Soldier Hat

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Is there a reason you don't want M4 feed ramps and a 1/7 twist? Those are both functional improvements that significantly improve the usefulness and reliability of the rifle and have no negative impact on the correct external appearance of a clone.

·
Registered
19,020 Posts
I sympathize with the OP's frustration ...asks a direct simple question and no one listens to his needs. Staying on subject / Staying on point is a failing with respondents who mean well and want to be helpful. I am sure the guy in orange camo means well although entire input is totally irrelevant and useless to the OP.

Here is a focused answer : I do not know of any source of parts other than Brownells, NoDakSpud which might have what the OP seeks. If anyone here knows of a source, please post that so the OP can build a repro rifle and accomplish his objective. I know the OP would appreciate that assistance.

Long shot is call Troy and see if they have any XM177 parts still on hand.

Truth be known, I built a XM177E1 and due to "realities" had to use a barrel with M4 feed ramps and 1:7 Twist and am very happy to have done so as it is a better shooting solution for my current needs. Yes, my XM177E1 Colt in absolute 100 percent original configuration remains a safe queen and less attractive for range work, its there because I carried one just like it in Viet Nam and nostalgia about owning a XM177E1 totally blinds me so I am fine with it. I have it "Because".

I suspect the OP wants an accurate reproduction of the XM177 for the same rationale...."Because".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a reason you don't want M4 feed ramps and a 1/7 twist? Those are both functional improvements that significantly improve the usefulness and reliability of the rifle and have no negative impact on the correct external appearance of a clone.
Because I don't want them on a clone. If I had an A2 I wouldn't want anything other than a 1/7 Government Profile.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suspect the OP wants an accurate reproduction of the XM177 for the same rationale...."Because".
I like things as correct as possible. My current SHTF rifle is a Colt SP1 from the 70s I INTENTIONALLY DOWNGRADED by replacing the A1 parts with earlier to make it look like a 602, only thing left to find is a Chrome BCG without forward assist serrations. Looked at Brownells but their's are a dull grey instead of correct shiny silver.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
57,842 Posts
I may have what you are looking for,
may, as in I'll look tomorrow when I am back in the shop,

I have a few takeoff/ odd ball barrels from an estate I picked up full of odd ball built AR's,

if not, I'll let you know,

did you try folks like Tony's Custom or any of the smaller makers/ parts shops?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I may have what you are looking for,
may, as in I'll look tomorrow when I am back in the shop,

I have a few takeoff/ odd ball barrels from an estate I picked up full of odd ball built AR's,

if not, I'll let you know,

did you try folks like Tony's Custom or any of the smaller makers/ parts shops?
No, I haven't called smaller makers. Holding off on buying a rifle until I know I can make it what I want unless I find a good enough deal to pounce immediately.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I sympathize with the OP's frustration ...asks a direct simple question and no one listens to his needs. Staying on subject / Staying on point is a failing with respondents who mean well and want to be helpful. I am sure the guy in orange camo means well although entire input is totally irrelevant and useless to the OP.

Here is a focused answer : I do not know of any source of parts other than Brownells, NoDakSpud which might have what the OP seeks. If anyone here knows of a source, please post that so the OP can build a repro rifle and accomplish his objective. I know the OP would appreciate that assistance.

Long shot is call Troy and see if they have any XM177 parts still on hand.

Truth be known, I built a XM177E1 and due to "realities" had to use a barrel with M4 feed ramps and 1:7 Twist and am very happy to have done so as it is a better shooting solution for my current needs. Yes, my XM177E1 Colt in absolute 100 percent original configuration remains a safe queen and less attractive for range work, its there because I carried one just like it in Viet Nam and nostalgia about owning a XM177E1 totally blinds me so I am fine with it. I have it "Because".

Hardly irrelevant. I described what an authentic barrel assembly should look like and where I got it. That is what he is looking for, not some half assed throw together. I doubt seriously that anyone who has posted so far would know a "Real" barrel assembly laying in a pile of throw togethers.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,451 Posts
Perhaps you could get an old pencil barrel / sp1 car upper and get a slipover flash hider ?
Since you have to go the legal length anyway, the slipover does give some to the illusion of having a shorty.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Perhaps you could get an old pencil barrel / sp1 car upper and get a slipover flash hider ?
Since you have to go the legal length anyway, the slipover does give some to the illusion of having a shorty. View attachment 3881671
I'd may as well just look for an SP1 carbine at that point.

If someone's got a Troy for sale I'll take it, I'd just prefer a more correct twist rate & rifle feed ramps. It's not a deal-breaker.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts