Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of paying $20 for 100 bullets for name brand bullets. For my .45, I can get much better prices from small bullet shops but, they don't seem to be making rifle bullets.

Anyone have a good suggestion on a .303 bullet maker that has better prices than 20¢ per bullet? I'd REALLY like to get down to less than 10¢ per bullet (without having to buy $500 worth of bullets).

Also, what's the consensus on pure lead rifle bullets?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've shot ONLY cast bullets through my Brits for 20+ years -tho not "pure lead". I cast them from a mixture of surplus wheel-weights and some type metal. There are a lot of different loading techniques for cast bullets, and you can PM me for a more detailed description if you're serious about it at all, but the most stringent requirement for good cast bullet shooting is that you remove as much of the copper/metal jacket fouling as humanly possible before you start. Otherwise, you will get leading at any speed and pressure.

I like cast bullets because I get greater accuracy than with Jacketed bullets due to my ability to match the bullet to my rifles throat diameter. (I have a LOT of molds) My No4MkII will shoot MOA with target loads. Most guns will shoot as well as I can hold. For "field" use I can load a heat treated 210 grain, .314" bullet at maximum speeds for that bullet weight. It will take deer handily.

My cast bullets cost me about $2.75 per hundred. ~Andy

·
Copper Bullet member
696 Posts
Golden West out of California has 125 and 150 grain .311 bullets at a reasonable price.

I ordered 500 of the 150gr. .311 bullets over a year ago. They shot fair in some of my Enfields and good in the rest. Wish they made them in .312 dia. Over all a good plinking bullet.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts