Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've sold and shipped about 30 rifles this year. Packaged them all the same way. Wrapped the gun in bubble wrap, took the bolt out and warpped it in bubble wrap then taped it to the rifle in some place so if the box gets torn open the bolt will not fall out. Sold an S40 to a guy and it got mashed and the bolt handle mashed a dent on both side of the finger groove. He complained and said I did not know how to pack a rifle (maybe so). I offered his money back plus all the shipping both ways. Says he will not buy from me agian and maybe next time I sell something I will know how to pack it, but says he will keep the rifle. Has written twice complaing. Wrote him back just now told him to either send the rifle back for a refund or apologize for his mouth. riceone.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
You just can't please everyone.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,175 Posts
And you said you liked UPS!! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Unfortunate accident, and you did all you could to make it right.

I have run into a number of real fragile people via this internet stuff.
Deficient daylight and fresh air.

Ifn' he said he would acccept it, he should suck it up and keep quiet.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,175 Posts
From my experience UPS has had an ongoing "unfortunate accident" is OK kinda mentality. I honestly don't understand why anyone doesn't use USPS Priority Mail??? It's a few bucks more than UPS ground, and look at what you get - UPS, one f**king week to anywhere! USPS Priority 3 days max! The less time the item you're shipping spends in the hands of careless people - the better!

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hey Adogs :
Don't forget that someone has to pay so that Dale Jarret can drive the UPS truck at the race track, at 110 mph at Talladega that ole truck is making tracks, packages got to get banged around . Yes I have had much better service with the Post Office than with Dale / UPS or Denny / FedEx .
Vicasoto

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sour Buyer

Hell, as slow as he is these days, there should not be a crease in the box. An I'm a die hard FORD fan! Always use USPS with no hassel.

·
Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
If he keeps complaining, you have his address, mail him a fish or something as a way of compensating him for his disappointment with the stock dents.:p

Steve

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
USPS

I made and sent a fellow some dies and sent them USPS Priority. He got the box they were in. Emailed me and asked me what I was going to do. Wrote back that I would make some more and send him. Used priority to send a peice of pottery to a friend in California. He send me a picture of the pottery in six peices. I don't think any carrier is fool proof, they all break stuff. UPS is very convenient for me to ship and receive. riceone.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Used to work in the computer industry and watched how the UPS monkeys manhandled clearly delicate boxes - I wouldn't choose them to ship unless there was no other alternative. Whenever I ship something out, I just assume the Samsonite gorilla is on staff regardless of the carrier I use so I pack assuming abuse. None of the carriers will be perfect.

Maybe you could offer to ship them in one of those El-Cheapo Doskosport cases inside cardboard for the additional cost of the case. I bought one rifle and the seller insisted on this, and paid for the case himself! Lucky me, free case!!

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
Moved

I moved this thread here, since it was not a WTS or WTB.

Good thread though.

I think If I had to ship a $1000 rifle, I would invest in a case too. Then put the case back in its box and ship.

Always use tracking or insure; it seems to get a little better treatment.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sour Buyers Response...

Well Roy,

I was not going to go any further with the Jinsen Series 40 fiasco but since you decided to use the boards as your wailing wall I think I'll let the members hear my side of the story and let them judge this one for themselves:
While cruising the trader board a few weeks back I spotted a nice S40 rifle being offered by our fellow board member RICEONE, I quickly viewed all of the posted photos and saw it was a real nice (as Jinsen's go) matching rifle with a surprisingly nice stock so I quickly responded with the ever popular "I'll take it" message... I soon heard from Roy and had the payment & FFL in the mail the following day... After 4 or 5 days I again heard from Roy stating the payment had arrived and here's the tracking # ...The gun arrived on 10/9 and by all external appearances it looked like it survived the journey fine however as soon as I picked up the box I realized the rifle was loose inside and when I opened it I found each end stuffed with only 3 crumpled sheets of newspaper and the rifle wrapped in only ONE layer of small bubble bubblepack, on top of that the bolt was of course removed from the receiver and was wrapped in one sheet of newspaper and pressed tightly against the left side of the rifle and then the bubble pack was wrapped around the rifle and taped tight... Needles to say that with the gun loose in the box every time it was moved, dropped, pushed, pulled etc. the bolt was grinding it's way right in to that very nice stock... When I removed the bubble pack and bolt I found 2 alarming things that any serious Japanese rifle collector would cringe at and that was that the bolt did indeed grind itself in to the side of the stock and on top of that (and I did not even mention this until this moment) I found a post-it note with the word "japkrap" scotch taped to the wood buttstock with 2 3" pieces of scotch tape pressed on to the wood so when I tried taking it off quite a bit of finish came off on the tape... For me and I think I can speak for many collectors out there this is not the way to treat, pack or ship a rifle and I am going to add that this is not UPS's fault at all, had the rifle been properly packed and protected from IT'S OWN BOLT! the gun would have arrived in fine condition so I'll say it again Roy: I will never buy another rifle from you as you don't know how to pack one to survive the shipment and on top of that it's my opinion that you really don't care about this or any rifle you ship out as long as you get rid of it... Unfortunately I did not take a pic of the damage before I removed all the splintered wood and applied a matching stain to the damaged areas but one can clearly see the damage from both the bolt handle and the bolts locking tabs... After viewing these shots go back to the Japanese trader board and find the S40 posting and have a look at the picture of the left side of the gun, there you will see the gun I bought and paid $350.00 for but did not get... Roy, I really don't know where you get off complaining about my reaction to all this when you and your negligence are the root cause of it all...
Rick

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
Why didn't you send it back?

Rick,
I can see why you were unhappy; but why not just return it and lose nothing?

Well, except a little time to re-pack it.

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
yeah, id return it since it was the sellers fault. its a nice rifle, but its not worth taking a hit on it because it sure isnt worth $350 now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I sold a super nice t-99 stock and handguard to one of the board memders and i shipped it out ups and he never got it,checked tracking and found that it got lost in ups hub they never found it.ups only pay out $100.00 so i losted $40.00 on that deal, i payed back the board member in fill.

next,the same week i won a nice t-99 stock on ebay to restore one of my rifles and the
seller shipped it out usp and when i got it the box was in two pieces and the forend was
missing, ups pay out in fill for it but that do'not help me at point they killed a 65 year old stock that made it through a war.
I think ups $uc$s and i will not be using them anymore.

CAN I US USPS TO SHIP A FIREARM? I DID'T THINK YOU COULD SHIP FIREARMS USING USPS LEGALLY.

Frank.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
You can use USPS to ship long arms as long as the recipient is a license holder (like anywhere else), handguns as I understand are verboten. Your best bet to avoid confusion is to just pack the thing up, say nothing and act as if you ship really long boxes every day. The people at the counter have long lists of rules to observe so I hate to have to see their heads spin as they try to determine if what you are doing is legit (it is but don't bet any money that they know that, or that their managers do either) It is also a bargain to boot. Priority mail has never let me down, or anyone I know either, as a matter of fact, roy's experiences were the first negatives I have ever heard of. I have shipped rifles from PA on saturday morn, and had them in texas monday! 2 days is the norm. My average shipped priority insured, and tracked cost is about $23

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
USPS and pistols

Only ffl dealers can ship pistols between themselves by USPS.

Go figure!

Frank,
you can buy more insurance from UPS if you want to.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,180 Posts
You bet

I moved this thread here, since it was not a WTS or WTB.

Good thread though.

I think If I had to ship a $1000 rifle, I would invest in a case too. Then put the case back in its box and ship.

Always use tracking or insure; it seems to get a little better treatment.
I just got a nice, REAL NICE rifle, and the buyer offered to send the rifle in a hard PVC case. ONLY WAY TO GO. If he hadn't offered, I'd have sprung for it, (I did, in a manner of speaking, anyway ;),
and assume that a gorilla is going to toss the box the length of a semi, because that's what happens! :mad:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts