Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my copy of the March 2021 edition of the American Rifleman magazine and a must read for any Japanese rifle collector is the article on the Type 4 by Mr. Fred Honeycutt. .

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,291 Posts
Thanks for the comment, Dale. Got my copy yesterday also, and of all things the magazine is damaged. Rifleman editors asked for the article probably 3 or so years ago. So, I got serious that time (editors had asked for a similar article 40+ years ago, and I drug my feet ‘til the Garand article). Anyway, I saw an opportunity to expand awareness of and interest in the collecting of Japanese rifles. That’ll work. And, amazingly, Garands have kept coming outta the woodwork for the past few years.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,305 Posts
Good job Fred! I got to examine one of these at Langley’s place some years ago when we used to hold our AZ shoot.near Congress, AZ. I missremember who owned it

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,291 Posts
Thanks again for the kind comments. To try answering the questions, 1) biff, the IJA program did use the 6.5mm round, and they experienced cartridge/chamber sticking throughout the program, usually starting around 100 fired rounds. I was told they didn't wax the cartridges; 2) pmanton, we'll have to see if more Garands come outta da woodwork. I've totaled cataloguing around 40 Washino rifles now, so that leaves some unaccounted for. Naturally, I'm not the last word, plus I think most of the remaining rifles in work were completed for souvenir purposes, so that adds even more to the 50 number reported. I've always felt they were held back for officers but can't prove that. Each would make a desirable souvenir. The vet who brought back #6 field evaluation rifle found it in a stack of rifles on a pier at Yokosuka to be dumped at sea. That tells you what happened to some. How many have been thrown in the trash? Heard horror stories about that. 3) Dawgs, the one at Jim's belonged to Bob. Nicest specimen I've seen except for maybe #6. Jeepers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.