Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread about the Vostok Biathlon rifle has got me thinking...
Has anyone really ever investigated the potential of building a rifle out of a U-Fix-Em or otherwise unserviceable Mosin action? Barrel blanks are easily available, and just a cursory glance at Midway found some suitable barrels in the range of $80+ that would work well with the 6.5x54R wildcat and such like. We have (readily available thanks to Ted) the technical specs of the M-N action (thread angles, TPI, length, diameter) but the only variable is has anyone DONE it?

I for one am VERY intrigued...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, next question: who has actions for sale? :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you find any of the actions let me know. I'm considering doing one in 45-70 or one in .308 but chambered for 54R.
If the serial number on the Mosins is on the barrel and you re-barrel it, how does that work with the BATF?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Current issue of Combat Arms has a cropped photo of one chambered for .300 Win. Mag. in a custom stock (p.85).

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Centerfiresystems had barreled recievers in thier mail cat.' It's not listed on thier website, or I just couldn't find them...

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
If the serial number on the Mosins is on the barrel and you re-barrel it, how does that work with the BATF?
Absulutely nothing. The reciever is the firearm, numbers/markings on any other part is nothing to them.
It will not be a C&R anymore.
Since your basically manufacturing a firearm and it is for yourself, serial numbers and markings are not needed.

Just to double check, go on the AK/SKS forums and ask there.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I did recently have a Hungarian receiver re-barrelled with a Russian tube,to save it as a shooter.I am a big fan of the polish mosin's I feel they are the nicest receivers quality wise,I think if I were to have a custom type rifle made on the Mosin action I would look for one of those to have fitted with a barrel.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But where to find one that's got a workable receiver, yet otherwise unserviceable? I don't want to ruin a collectible, but I do want to build a good rifle.

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
Think expensive.

You can order a barrel from several manufacturers, threaded to your specifications, or have it threaded.

Bore out a shot out barrel and have it re-rifled, I did this about 25 years ago. Cost $200 in 1982.

Have a barrel liner installed in a smaller caliber, the only way to reduce the caliber without replacing the barrel.

You still have to have the chamber reamed for the caliber you want.

It would be much simpler to stay with the basic case dimension of the original cartridge, or you will have to make some serious bolt head modifications.

Total cost? probably in the $600-$1000 range not including the cost of the gun to begin with. A simple rebore would probably be the cheapest. This is what the Finns did. You bore the old barrel smooth, about .320 depending on the condition of the bore, then cut the rifling in the new bore. I think they used a 8.3 MM bore, because that was the smallest they could use and be able to smooth bore the worn out barrels.

regards
badger

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I fully understand that this would not be a "budget rifle" by any stretch of the imagination. However, I would love to have a rifle chambered in either the Finnish 6.3x53r Wildcat or the Russian/Soviet 6.5x54r Biathlon cartridges. Also, since they are derived from the original M1891 cartridge, they can be used with the original magazine and bolt, and with minimal alteration to the feed ramp. Essentially, I would just be re-barrelling the M-N with a .257" or .264" bore. Nothing terribly fancy, just different.

Of course, for the 6.3 the 6.5, the basic chamber shape is the same (for the most part), just necked down and reshouldered to either the .257" or .264" groove depths. Either of these calibrations are readily available through barrel suppliers in blanks that can be threaded and turned down to fit the M-N action. They even start in the ballpark of $80+ from what I've seen. You're spot-on though that getting the chamber cut would be another fairly hefty expense, as well as finishing the barrel itself (like fitting for sights, blueing, etc.) once it is mated to the action. Of course, there is also the expense of the stock fitting, bedding and floating to consider. Again, I'm not considering doing this to "save money." By the time I'll finally be able to go ahead with this project, I doubt money will be as grave a concern for me, anyway.

I know also that there are far less expensive rifles in easily available calibrations that are far less expensive than what I've proposed. But, none of them have the appeal to me that the aforementioned wildcats do.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Just take a regular 91/30, there's hundreds of thousands around now, and have it rebarrelled for whatever caliber you want. Add a stock, bent bolt, scope. There you go.
Gonna cost an arm and a leg, maybe. Be much cheaper to buy a target rifle in another caliber.
The days of cheap wildcatting is long gone, the costs of rebarrelling a rifle to a custom caliber is way expensive.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
I won't go into particulars right now, since I don't have access to it right now. But...

I have had one price and have a place that will do it and by the time you get it back:

1. Chambered to anything you want
2. Shilen barrel as choice of barrel
3. Installed
4. Headspaced
5. Turned to your specs
6. Test fired

My final price was going to be about 650. I still have the quote and can give you all the information if you would like.

*** Price might also include refinishing, but Im not sure.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Okay... Now that I have the quote in front of me,

1. Low Tech barrel....................... $225.oo
2. Install, chamber, test fire.......... $200.oo
3. Install sights........................... $50.oo
4. Blue....................................... $40.oo
5. Return shipping........................ $25.oo
Total out the door....................... $540.oo

So I was a little under what I said. But Im sure you can add if you wanted a different type of barrel. Also, you could save money if you didn't want sights.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks, Sean. I appreciate the data. About the sights, I would like to have a sort of modified PU style scope mount that can accept both a universal 1" scope and an aperture rear sight assembly for target shooting. The only sight I'd like installed on the barrel is the front sight, in the style of an Anschutz or such like with inserts that can be changed for different styles of shooting.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
16,461 Posts
But where to find one that's got a workable receiver, yet otherwise unserviceable? I don't want to ruin a collectible, but I do want to build a good rifle.
I might be able to help.

View attachment 11574

Let me know. I suppose it could be put back together. It's a 1941 Izhevsk. Not an ex-sniper. Totally stripped except for the rear site base that the seller could not get off. The rear pin is still there. Barrel still has life.

Gary

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gary, I'm guessing that by "stripped" you mean no bolt either, right? How much (out of curiosity) would you be asking? That would probably be perfect for the foundation of the project I'm wanting to build.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts