Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the opinion of these Norinco k98 rifles in .22?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have the 33/40 and the kkw and have to say that I like them although they arent close to the good German stuff. But it is a cheap alternative to German trainer. It is fun to watch people at the range hold thier ears or expect a loud bang only to hear a pop.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked through the old threads but nothing came up.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
I've always wondered that myself, particularly re their KKW knockoff. Any reviews or detailed pics?

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
I've tried some, all are quite accurate, but, IMHO, collectibles no

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've tried some, all are quite accurate, but, IMHO, collectibles no
If allowed to import anymore you are correct. But if the number is limited I think people will collect although they will never be as disirable as a kkw or 33/40. But I Have no idea how many are in the US at this moment if that number is greater than I assume, your are right and the collectability is very low if at all.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Norinco KKW

They seem to be popular on the online auction sights. I have seen multiple bidders every time a Norinco kkw goes up on auction. The reason might be that real kkw's seldom are seen online. The real deal dsm 34 examples are more often found online, and they fetch a pretty penny. So that might be why the Norinco's are popular, as they are all that is available for those who want a kkw trainer. So in a way the Norinco kkw is collectible as the only alternative. I would stick to original DSM 34 examples of German trainers as I get a real German trainer that is for sure collectible. That is just my preference.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought the TU 33/40 just for fun and I must say I kinda enjoy shooting it.
It's not so bad looking, shoots pretty accurate and is not as expensive as a genuine trainer.
Are they collectibles?? That's a matter of opinion. To me, yes to a certain level because no one in my club has one and you don't see them often around here...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought one from Lever Arms, in Vancouver, during their Chrismas sale last year for $99. I didn't have high expectations but when it arrived I was surprised. It was a nice little rifle, bluing was deep and uniform, wood was good as was fit and finish. I only had it for a couple of months, a friend offered me a lot more than I paid for it so... and of course now I am sorry I sold it.

OMMV
Kevin

·
Copper Bullet Member
12,156 Posts
I have one and it is one very heavy duty .22. I think that the finish is a bit rough but overall well made. Plan to put a scope on mine as I can't see the iron sights anymore.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,408 Posts
Many of these TU-KKW's were imported by Navy Arms. There were two different models, well maybe three types. There is a standard length rifle, and a shorter "G33/40". In addition some of the rifles have a left side scope rail in addition to the scope grooves in the receiver. These were called " sniper trainers"

Neat little rifles. I sold many of them "back in the day". I still have a Full size TU-KKW and a TU-33/40 carbine. Strangely enough the short carbine has the left side mount type scope rail, the longer rifle does not.

Here are two scans from sales catalogs showing these rifles.

This is from a January Navy Arms 1993 sales catalog.

This scan is from Federal Ordinance sales flier dated September 1994.

·
Copper Bullet Member
12,156 Posts
Mine does not have the side rail and i'm glad it doesn't. Its a tru-er kkw copy without it imho. I was able to talk on several occaisions with Val Forgett Sr. Mentioned once I had one of his kkws and liked it. I remember he liked them as well. Amazing man I miss him.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Was there a bayonet ever offered with these? A k98 bayo fits perfectly but I always wondered if the kit included a factory bayo.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Collectible/Not Collectible? (A Pointless Question)

I totally agree Bob but for some people RC's and Norinco are more affordable than the 'real thing'.
I absolutely agree with you, U-96.

It irks me, and at the same time, reminds me somewhat of the 'effete snobs' of the Nixon era, when I hear some people snif at the TU-KKWs and say, "No. They aren't collectible." That is simply an opinion; everyone is entitled to theirs, but it's certainly not an official declaration of status. (Remember, opinions are like XXX-holes: We all have them, and they all stink! :p )

So if someone wants to collect TU-KKW's, then the TU-KKW IS, prima facie, a collectible. My opinion (see previous paragraph) is that it's immature and quite disingenuous to diss any collector's enthusiasm; we should all be astute enough to recognize that collecting, shooting, and enjoying a handy rifle with historic ties, however tenuous, is a good thing for current and future generations! (...Duh! :rolleyes: )

On the other hand, a positive aspect of the head-in-the-sand attitude is that it also means fewer competitive bidders on the auction sites. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts