Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You Joel and Peter. I have just done some research and You both would seem to be correct.Webley wedge frame revolver 1857-1859 and not a Deane & Son.I will now change My title on My first post!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Heres a little update on this revolver.I have replaced some of the modern screws on this with some new ones turned on the lathe cutting the correct imperial threads.It was missing the Kerr rammer so machined one on a cnc milling machine.I made cardboard templates and cut them to shape untill I was happy it had the correct bend to force the rammer along the groove.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Where did you get the Whitworth die? Or did you single tool the threads in a Lathe? My father was an old Machinist(he retired just as CNC was coming in) and did a lot of making old screws from drill rod when you could not buy any. Of course the net makes things much easier to get parts these days.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Looking Webley Revolver

Thanks Guys.Old taps and dies to cut imperial threads are not too difficult to find in the UK.Of course metric are more often found.Car boot sales are a good way to buy old tools these days.There is also a second hand tool shop a man and His wife run near to Me which is an Alladins Cave .Its eyesight thats the main problem:)!!I will put some more photos up as things progress.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I really do not need any, as I Took the "Model Engineer" for years and built three Live Steam Loco's. I sold the Loco's when I moved(no track in my new state)but my tool box is full of ME Thread sets, and all of them are Whitworth, excepting the british BA ones..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Whitworth die came from the shop I mentioned (so did a nice little tap).Some of the guys I know who work on vintage British motorbikes run into a few problems.You can find allsorts of problems with the threads on the nuts and bolts on these!!!!

·
Administrator
9,612 Posts
Attention: Webley screws may be "Withworth Form" ( 55 degree) but they are NOT Withworth Pitch! !!

Ie, what may be thought to be a 36tpi is actually a 37, and a 32 is actually a 33...These were "trademarking" the screws so that only original replacement Webley screws could be used ( ie, Gun Control amongst the Colonials and Natives and anticompetitive trading)

This carried over from Commercial Manufacture to the Military as well...try getting dies to make Webley Mark VI screws!!!

Lathe Cutting with special gear trains is essential. ( very Empirical Machining, go back to the 1890s!!!!)

The "specific" Thread arrangements on many British Products all point to a Belief that this stopped "Copying" by "Furriners". ( ie British Cycle tread, Model Engineering Thread, Opticians Thread, etc, etc.).

Doc AV

Doc AV

1 - 15 of 15 Posts