Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
did he actually build this monster from a kit or did he just add assessories to an already built AK. if he built it from a kit, he did good, except i really dont care for the bastardbuttstock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Built it from a Romanian parts kit. Reciever made from a TAPCO flat.

I didnt think I would like the parker and black two tone but it surprised me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Looks nice. A pretty impressive project for a guy to undertake, especially starting from a flat.

What is your impression of that type scope mount? Looks high enough to use the irons. Is it wobbly?

Is that an Ultimak on the gas tube? Your impressions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can see the iron sights fine. The side rail mount is solid and is a mil spec type for the ak. The front handgard, pistol grip and but stock and adapter are all Leapers products.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
UTG, gotta love em. Did he get one of those tapco flats for $10 that were off drilled? If so even more impressive. Nice gun, wanting to do something like that for a norinco SKS I have but gotta find a good chromed 20.5" pinned barrel first.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No it was not one of the discount flats at TAPCO.

My son put one of those Leapers fiber stocks on his Yugo SKS and looks pretty good.

Good luck finding a new barrel. I wouldnt know where to tell you to look first as I have not searched for any. Midway would probably be a good place to start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tend to be more of a purist, so I don't care for the tactical look, but otherwise it looks great.

What sort of finish was chosen on that receiver? I have tried bluing and painting but all mine look real nasty. I wouldn't mind doing a similar finish on an AMD-65 I just built.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We used the dura coat finish. Its non bake and applied with an air brush. Its some of the toughest stuff I have ever used. If you look at the side the safety lever has made only a slight mark through the finish. I have used some bake on finishes and others and the safety scrapes through them about the second time you slide it. It hangs really good on the rails too.

That color is called parker.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good looking rifle!! I built one very similar last spring. I like the American tactal look on an AK.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ACR, the stock adapter is from Leapers as well as the butt stock, pistol grip and front grip rail. I believe he got everything from Copes. The adapter puts the butt stock in a more correct place and angle and seems to reduce the muzzle lift.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts