Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, about three weeks ago, I found a New England Westinghouse on GunsAmerica.com, and I TRIED to buy it. Before I sent funds and an FFL, I asked the seller to describe it to me. I got a rambling response and no pictures.

I waited too long to make a decision, and I lost. Another board member picked it up, and the rifle turned out to be a mint, matching NEW..... :mad:

Ok, ok, lesson learned. Next time I see what I think MAY be a good deal, I should just go with my gut instinct, and buy the damned thing.

At least the NEW went to a board member, and a good home (not Bubba's home :eek:)

Well, a week later, while surfing the 'net, I found what I think may just be the "mother load" for me.

I found a K98 Mauser for sale, which had only one very poor, out of focus, dark picture. The stock looked very glossy, like a Bubba polyurethane job.

I thought, "Wow, I don't know, should I go for it? Looks like it may have some potential. $475 seems kind of high"

I took the risk, and emailed the seller, and told him, "I'll take it!" In my email I gave him my phone number.

About an hour later he calls me and tells me it's mine, and then asks me if I would be interested in another old German Mauser as well. We negotiated deal, and I end up buying both of his "old Mausers". He told me that the first mauser didn't have any blue left, and the other had surface rust.

A week later, one box shows up with two rifles stuff into it. When I opened the box, I damned near had a heart attack.:eek:

I found a mint matching bcd-4, with sling and an ASW44 bayonet, and an excellent condition matching G33/40 with sling! :D:D:D

The bcd-4 was absolutely covered in thick polyurethane. The G33/40 was, well, black with dirt, grease, and mild surface rust.

It has taken me two weeks to very carefully clean and restore both rifles to their former glory. I used paint stripper to get the polyurethane off, and I have NOT oiled, stained, sanded, or otherwise screwed with the rifle.

Neither rifle has any import marks, and neither has the dreaded "duffle-cut". Both are 100% legit and matching examples.

The bcd-4 is a late-war (1944), with a clear phosphate finish. The gun looks virtually "un-fired", as in brand new right off the assembly line. It has a bys '43 dated barrel. The bore is a pristine mirror. The bolt is completely dry without any oil or grease. The chamber is spotless. I doubt that this rifle has ever fired a round, except for the firing proof.
The stock has "chatter" marks along both sides, which would be correct for late war rifle. Strangely, the stock is polished, which I thought was done only to earlier years.

The G33/40 is dated 1940 (first year), and I had a hell of a time removing the light surface rust from the exposed surfaces. I used light oil and super fine steel wool, gently rubbing the light rust off without damaging the blue. The rifle was filthy! The rear sight was frozen solid. I used mineral spirits to clean the wood and found a solid one-piece walnut stock with beautiful tiger stripping. The rifle has a MINT bore and is 100% matching. I am only missing the correct (and hard to find) cleaning rod. I also noticed some deep scratches on the G33/40 side plate, presumably from the crampons on the Mountain Troops boots!

Please take a look and tell me if I did ok with this purchase? Not bad for a couple of nice "vet" bring-backs. Hope I didn't get "hosed".:D

Kind regards, ARG

·
Moderator & Gaseous Substance Inspector
1,121 Posts
Do did well with these!

G33/40 looks extremely nice! Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Congratulations on an outstanding find and a fantastic job of restoration!! Would have loved to see before pics but I sooo understand the urge to dive in and get to work. I don't keep abrest of Mauser prices anymore but I think it's safe to say you did VERY well!! As I've gotten older I've come to belive in karma and the fact that when one window of opportunity closes another opens. You learned well from your previous experience. Those of us who tend to take a leap of faith can sometimes get burned but can also be rewarded!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I hate you!

Nice score on the rifles. The G.33/40 holds the most interest for me. If it ever bores you or wants to escape your collection let me know! I know I have some rare stuff that'd gladly go away to make room.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ARG, that is one the best member find I've seen on these boards in the many years I've been here. What a collector's dream. Had it been me a smile would permanently be frozen on my face. A big congratulations!!

Rob

·
Sponsor
1,003 Posts
Wow, that is awesome! Let's see here. You paid $475 for the "good" one and then worked out a deal for the "rusty" one. I'd say you most likely paid $800 shipped for the pair. Am I right? The G33/40 is most likely worth $1000-$1300 and the other is probably worth $700-$900. Yup, I'd say you did very well indeed!

Regards,
Eric

·
Silver Bullet member
1,134 Posts
I don't know the first thing about Mausers but I do know I'd love to own either!! Very nice rifles...congrats!! :D

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Very nice rifles!! - A fellow I used to work with had some M98 Mausers his dad brought back from WWII, I got to shoot some of them a few years ago. He wanted me to try a couple of them out for his Daughter. He gave one of them to his daughter in Alaska so she could hunt Caribou and Moose with it. She did hunt with the rifle, I saw pic's of animals she downed with it!

Pahtu.

·
Registered
240 Posts
With luck like that, you should be playing the lottery, or going to Vegas! I am very envious, especially of that 33/40. Congrats!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
898 Posts
Nice Rifles, Nice Pictures, Nice Job Cleaning

I would say you did outstanding! Those are both very highly collectible rifles, and in beautiful condition (after the elbow grease) and you should be very proud. You have to tell us how much more you had to give for the "rusty" rifle...don't worry, none of us will tell on you!!

Thanks for sharing.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well, I got both for $850.00 shipped. That damn near broke the bank for me. I'm used to $69.00 Mosins and such.

The K98 is an original late-war clear phosphate finish. I've read about clear phosphate, but have never seen one in person.

I'm pretty happy with both. Right now I'm looking for a correct cleaning rod for the G33/40.

Thanks to all for your wonderful comments!

Regards, ARG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.