Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a Vz-23 mauser listed online.It was expensive and the seller went on and on on the details.The main thing that was missed was it was not in a Vz-23 stock.Ok thats typical but it should have been mentioned.It did have the German style stock cut out for sling,and numbered triggerguard and FP.Ok too the Germans seem too have ended up with Vz-23 and I have one that is Waa marked in stock and firing proof on barrel.The seller continued with info othat these were cut down from Vz-98/22 rifles.
I dont buy that. I thought Vz-23 were new mfg.
To me the Vz-23 should have the correct stock with the bands close together.
I dont remember if he mentinoned that it had Waffen proofs in stock or was Proofed under handguad on barrel.
I guess some people either dont know the truth or just make things up to make their rifle correct to sell to someone why may not have the proper Knowlege.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Evidently in war period was used probably what was avialable i have a Vz.24 metall in a Vz.23 stock with new barell and german fireproofs. best regards,Andy
certainly its not so worth as matching Vz.23 rifle.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
I saw a Vz-23 mauser listed online.It was expensive and the seller went on and on on the details.The main thing that was missed was it was not in a Vz-23 stock.Ok thats typical but it should have been mentioned.It did have the German style stock cut out for sling,and numbered triggerguard and FP.Ok too the Germans seem too have ended up with Vz-23 and I have one that is Waa marked in stock and firing proof on barrel.The seller continued with info othat these were cut down from Vz-98/22 rifles.
I dont buy that. I thought Vz-23 were new mfg.
To me the Vz-23 should have the correct stock with the bands close together.
I dont remember if he mentinoned that it had Waffen proofs in stock or was Proofed under handguad on barrel.
I guess some people either dont know the truth or just make things up to make their rifle correct to sell to someone why may not have the proper Knowlege.
Hi Keith,
There may be an explanation for this rifle. In 1935/36, with the rearmament of the German Army going on just over its northern border, the Czechoslovak Army realised that it was potentially short of rifles, and gave Brno permission is boost Vz.24 production by allowing the factory to build up rifles using a large number of receivers that had been previously rejected for cosmetic reasons. As a result, many vz.24's were built up around old Vz.22 or vz.23 receivers, and Vz.24 receivers that had been mistakenly manufactured with the unique Vz.33 side rail address. Every one of these Vz.24's that I've observed has been a rifle that was later sold to the Russians for use in Spain in 1938. However, if one of these rifles stayed in Czechloslovak possession and later passed into German hands, it could well have been modified by the Germans for the side-mounted K98k sling. Such a rifle would be a very interesting and valuable collector's piece.

Another possibility is that it is a very, very early transitional Vz.24, manufactured in the Vz.24 configuration but before the introduction of the "Ceskoslovenska Zbrojovka Brno" 3 line address crest.

Regarding the rifle being a cut-down vz.22, I have never heard of or seen such a rifle. I suppose it could exist, but I doubt it.
Regards,
John

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John,thanks for the reply.the rifle on line had the early curved address on receiver ring-like a vz-23 that I have.I have seem a couple of transitional Vz-23/24's with the bottom sling swivel that pivots but also with the standard vz-24 band spacing and still have the early style address.I also understand that as stocks failed in use a vz-24 would be a likely replacement.Finally the German use and re-issue can reslut in many different variations.The "cut down Vz-22"just didnt fly with me or anything I have read.It alway seems to sound good to those knuckleheads.Oddly the rifle seemed to me to be a German re-issue of vz-23 in German modified vz-24 with sling cut out and tube and washer-which to me is a dead give away for German/Nazi issue in WW2.I usually dont get bothered by made up internet auction descriptions but this got to me for some reason.The seller seems to have a dozen or so rifles on an online auction and all seem to be in the over 500 to 1500 range.Relisted over and over.
Bernd thanks for posting the pictures if what I call a "transitional" vz-24.does the butt sling swivel pivot left to right about 30degrees each way?? could be Spanish or export sales from early 1930s

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
John is right on this is not a transitional piece, only some older reserve parts were used in 1934/5 for Vz.24 production. Majority of the piece were delivered later as help to Spain, payed by USSR. best regards,Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.