Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I was at my local gunshow this weekend and my favorite dealer had a rifle I just couldn't pass up. A numbers matching 1943 Savage Enfield with a mint 2-groove barrel.

My question concerns all of the bands and other little bits on the gun. I always thought Savage didn't make all the small parts, but every piece on my gun that has any marking has a little "s" stamped on it. Is it common to find guns like this?

Also, my gun has an odd straight stacking hook added to the front band, where did it pick that up? The gun has not been to India, is has no Ishy screw in the beautiful walnut stock :).

Took it out to the range yesterday and was rewarded with an honest 1" group @ 100yards with the simple flip rear site. Granted it took me about 25 rounds to get a real feel for the gun, and the sites are off a bit, but I'm pretty darn impressed by my latest purchase. I've seen the prices of Savages climbing, so I think I did alright for $200 :)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
The stacking hook is a Turkish addition. It would appear that the Brits sent quite a few new or like new rifles to the Turks, as I have a '43 Maltby from the Turkish batch that is in unissued condition.

Sounds like you have a keeper there.

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
YSN,
I too have a Savage with all the parts stamped "S", so I have to assume that they made all of the own parts. That is not to say that they did not, from time to time, run low on some part and use a Long Branch, or other manufacturer, produced part.

I believe that the straight "stacking hook" is a Turkish modification, showing that your Savage spent some time in Turkey.

Shoot it often and enjoy. Warning: Enfields are sociable things and they will always pressure you to get more Enfields for them to talk to.

Peter in CA

·
Registered
320 Posts
OOPS! Forgot to mention that I also have a Savage N°4Mk1 with the little squared S marks on almost all of the parts.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha ha ha,

Its too late for me, I'm absolutely obsessed with Enfields, they are just too damn good.

I've even branched out a tad, I have a Remington Pattern 14 and a Ross Mk. II.

Only the threat of total financial ruin prevents me from getting a MLE and ShtLE Mk. I :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
More, more, more

YSN,
I understand the too late concept. What with MLE's, Martini Henry's, Martini Enfields, Sniders, and darn near everything else British, that I can lay my hands on.

It really is a sickness.

I do not want the cure.

Peter in CA

·
Registered
901 Posts
YSN,
I understand the too late concept. What with MLE's, Martini Henry's, Martini Enfields, Sniders, and darn near everything else British, that I can lay my hands on.

It really is a sickness.

I do not want the cure.

Peter in CA

Hahaha!

I started off hoping to find a nice '40s dated Lithgow. "That's all I want", I said with certainty. Well! I didn't find one straight away, but I did find a WWI Lithgow. Got it home. Commercial replacement barrel, pity the receiver was twisted. Handed in the receiver, became my first parts rifle.

Then an Aussie HT sniper rifle found me. Thirty bucks for a permit to acquire, twenty buck transfer fee. Only driven to church on Sundays, one careful owner since demob. He was delighted that I'd take care of it for him, he knew his kids and grandkids weren't interested.

Then I needed a No4. I don't really like the look of them, hey they can't be much good if the Aussies didn't make them! Oh well, here's one from a farm shed. New mag, she's good to go. Registered and all legit.

Two 1941 Lithgows filled the initial aim. I called a gunshop in Sydney, they had two which fitted the bill. Which one? Ah, they aren't going to get any cheaper, might as well take both!

No5? Yes please! Not a steal, but didn't break the bank. Well restored and shoots like a dream.

Oooh, there's a Siamese Smiling Tiger rifle for fifty bucks. Needs a new barrel, but I've got a couple of those. Thankyou! Had to strip a thick layer of crud from the wood, but it'll go back together some day now that the new barrel has been spun on.

Volley sights? One day I'd own a Lithgow with volley sights. One day! Not much luck initially, but this 1917 BSA with the forestock dished to accept the plate, fills an historic gap. Volley sight wood but rifle assembled after they were dropped. The rifle looks tired but I can't go wrong for $80. Hey, whadya know? A good clean and fifty rounds gave a mirror-bright bore with sharp rifling.

Hooray. A $150 all-matching 1912 BSA fills volley sight gap. Tired barrel, but all matching and non-FTRed.

A friend owns a 1915 Liithgow with volley sights. Oooh, thinking, thinking. I don't want to be forward but any chance of making an offer? I made an offer, and he very kindly accepted. A gem! Thankyou sir, you know who you are!

Hmmm, people keep talking about No4 Mk2s. Hey, here's one. $650 AUD. Well, I've done well on most of my rifles, it's a fair price for a near-new example of the last of the line. It does shoot well too!

Another gentleman downsizing his collection. Hey, he has some fascinating examples. Do I really want to go earlier than the No1 MkIII? Hell yeah! Don't get giddy, stay calm Matt! Deep breaths! How about a Lee-Metford, Long Tom and a P14? Done!

A 1940 and 1943 Lithgow from my friend with the 1915 Lithgow? Two terrific examples of the progression of wartime Lithgow production. A bargain! One in the safe, one on the way!

The enemy? Representative examples of other arms? Lovely K98k here, how could I say no?!

Hey, I have a Maltby No4 MkI, and a Faz No4 Mk2, how about a Savage? Done! I'm still looking for a Shirley and a Longbranch.

How far back do I want to go? Well, the man downsizing realised that I am a collector with a keen appreciation for history and one who will treat the weapons with care and respect. Trade pattern Brown Bess musket, 1853 three band Enfield, 1866 Snider-Enfield conversion and an 1879 Martini-Henry MkII on the way. Thank you kind sir!

Found a Martini-Enfield at a shop down the road. On the rack, my name on the tag.

So, that's my collection...for now!

There is no cure, I won't be lining up for the antidote any time soon!

Sigh!

Cheers,
Matt

Do

·
Registered
189 Posts
More, more, more

Matt,
You are my kind of collector. Sounds alot like me, but I am a little light on WW1 rifles. I seem to have picked up quite a few No4's. I only wanted one, but I think I have 6 or 7. Yikes.
Even the K98 is part of my collection.

I need help!!!

Peter in CA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts