Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 158 Posts

· Copper Bullet member
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'd like to just squeeze inbetween the argument there for a moment and say that I managed to find a BYF 41 marked 98k in a pawnshop today with a pricetag of $275. Problem was: #1 all nazi markings were filed off, #2 the bolt was a forced match with electropencil (for the wrong serial number I might add), #3 the wood was in deplorable condition and seemed to be shelacked into hell, and #4 someone had brilliantly tried to remove the X that denotes an RC with some kind of weird as hell marking that looked like an eagle stamped over it. That poor gun was a mess, and I had all to do but take it home and give it some much deserved TLC. The one redeeming grace was that the bore was mirror bright with no counterbore whatsoever. Thanks to all ya'll I know now that the it was the code I should be looking for. I love it when that happens lol

· Registered
1,096 Posts
When some one is telling you rc's aren't junk and they are collectable it is merely an opinion.. one derived by lack of experience. Fact is all hobbies have standards, members of that hobby set those standards, I have collected the 98k since 1984 and know many in the hobby, and very few "collectors" I know have a high regard for the rc (none actually).. from a collectors pov rc's have no merit, they are below the standard most experienced collectors (of German rifles- Russian collectors probably marvel at their quality as these are soviet rifles) have set.[END QUOTE]

sorry you dont set the standard for what is collectible in the mauser world, and frankly sound like an Idiot for saying you do... you are not one of very few elites who set the standard, your just a guy who knows a decent amout about K98's and fell victim to BIG HEAD syndrome... R/C's are as collectible as any other gun anyone wants to collect... some statements simply have the ring of truth, and then we have what you say.......
Now Hannah,
Are you saying that An RC is for Underachievers with Lowered Expectations, sort of like going to the "Ghetto" to Cherry Pick a 1980 Chevrolet Caprice 4 Door for their car collection?

· Registered
336 Posts
below is what i said, all else was a quote i was answering to...........

sorry you dont set the standard for what is collectible in the mauser world, and frankly sound like an Idiot for saying you do... you are not one of very few elites who set the standard, your just a guy who knows a decent amout about K98's and fell victim to BIG HEAD syndrome... R/C's are as collectible as any other gun anyone wants to collect... some statements simply have the ring of truth, and then we have what you say.......

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Well its simple people who can't afford the REAL DEAL try to justify the RC rifles, because they are cheap much like the MN 91/30. Quantity does NOT dictate quality. Buying 100 rifles for 79.99 each DOES NOT mean an AWSOME collection, it means you had money to WASTE. You need to be looking for the pre1968 examples or NON refurbish rifles for a GOOD collection of MN 91/30's. buying 199-250 RC doesn't mean there collectable. there just a good priced item for some one looking to get a piece of history from one of the biggest ENEMY's of all time who had there hands into EVERYTHING. Between the new & old movies and video games, Nazi memorabilia is at a all time high with NEW collectors.

RC has 1 purpose. They are used to see if you like what they REPRESENT. There a sample or example that you can examine HANDS on to see if this type of firearm appeals to your taste buds. if the answer is yes i like it you sporter, resell, re-enactments, or wait for that semi Bolt MM or full matching example and move on to better pastures and sell that RC. Pouring several hundred dollars in to a 200.00 gun make NO sense, if you have several hundred to spend get a real example as your just throwing money down the toilet with no chance to break even later.

For your info I can't afford k98k's all matching and RC are JUNK. Like simson said mint or used, untouched, un-messed with, no fakery of any item is the most correct piece to get in ANY hobby. K98's ARE NOT the exception of the rule.

Later
Vaughn

· Registered
4,719 Posts
i guess all old muscle cars that are in original conditon, including original paint, are in fact the only cars that collectors seek out? wait, i think that is wrong. collectors don't pass on muscle cars that were repainted, repaired from a crash or that have a replaced part(including engines, transmissions, EXHAUST, fenders, quarter panels, seat covers, carpet, etc., etc., etc.)

they don't pass on model t autos either. they cobble them together from other cars and they have a following for what they are. they are valuable.

the rc comment is getting old and is repeated too often, it is laughable. it is SO self absorbed it actually is funny. ok, yes, most of us seek original condition rifles and have to settle for less(kind of like car collectors and what is commonly available?), but anything less than original is still collectable. if rc k98s were not collectable then they wouldn't be selling? there are highly regarded members here that not only have bought them, they also have a different opinion than you, paul.

old colt pistols that have a cylinder replaced are absolutely collectable are they not? what about winchester rifles?

what about spanish gold coins from the bottom of the sea? all covered in one thing or another and someone cleans them. are they valuable for what they are?

what about that original parts condition k98 that some soldier put motor oil on the stock to repel the water? not original condition and no collector value?

i don't think gew98 ww1 rifles are collectible. the reason? well, they are too long and ah, er, i think they are junk at best. of course i don't really feel that way, but did it strike a nerve? that is how your rc opinion, which is expressed too often, affects others? paul, i am not jabbing you but just trying to get you to lighten up on the comments is all.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
From someone who can't even quote properly calling others an idiot is, well idiotic..

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit I see but you might note I didn't say I set the standard, but "collectors" do- you by the way are not a collector, you are an rc idiot.

Anyway, the German military rifle hobby is nothing to get a big head over, its something I take serious because I have the time and inclination, but I only tolerate stupidity such as you spew daily to further my studies on this little hobby of little significance to the world.

When some one is telling you rc's aren't junk and they are collectable it is merely an opinion.. one derived by lack of experience. Fact is all hobbies have standards, members of that hobby set those standards, I have collected the 98k since 1984 and know many in the hobby, and very few "collectors" I know have a high regard for the rc (none actually).. from a collectors pov rc's have no merit, they are below the standard most experienced collectors (of German rifles- Russian collectors probably marvel at their quality as these are soviet rifles) have set.[END QUOTE]

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Award, take breather.. the car analogy is not the one I used- if you want to critique my opinion do it properly?

"As coin collectors, antique collectors or collectors of cars will tell you originality is the standard, anything refinished, restored are heavily de-valued and if bad enough is worth what the item is (a used chair or a drivable car or for parts)"

The above is my comment, -restored are devalued, if bad enough you have a car or parts.. the rest of your comments are playing the same theme you came up on your own...

i guess all old muscle cars that are in original conditon, including original paint, are in fact the only cars that collectors seek out? wait, i think that is wrong. collectors don't pass on muscle cars that were repainted, repaired from a crash or that have a replaced part(including engines, transmissions, EXHAUST, fenders, quarter panels, seat covers, carpet, etc., etc., etc.)

they don't pass on model t autos either. they cobble them together from other cars and they have a following for what they are. they are valuable.

the rc comment is getting old and is repeated too often, it is laughable. it is SO self absorbed it actually is funny. ok, yes, most of us seek original condition rifles and have to settle for less(kind of like car collectors and what is commonly available?), but anything less than original is still collectable. if rc k98s were not collectable then they wouldn't be selling? there are highly regarded members here that not only have bought them, they also have a different opinion than you, paul.

old colt pistols that have a cylinder replaced are absolutely collectable are they not? what about winchester rifles?

what about spanish gold coins from the bottom of the sea? all covered in one thing or another and someone cleans them. are they valuable for what they are?

what about that original parts condition k98 that some soldier put motor oil on the stock to repel the water? not original condition and no collector value?

i don't think gew98 ww1 rifles are collectible. the reason? well, they are too long and ah, er, i think they are junk at best. of course i don't really feel that way, but did it strike a nerve? that is how your rc opinion, which is expressed too often, affects others? paul, i am not jabbing you but just trying to get you to lighten up on the comments is all.

· Registered
336 Posts
bla bla bla simon stool, as stated your opinion that R/C's are worthless junk is meaningless, and you need to get over yourself you did not create or influence the standard in the collecting community. That is left to the buyers and sellers, and for the record you know little to nothing about me, but then again thats about par for the course for your rather meaningless posts on what is accepted in your ((((self claimed small elite community of collectors)))) who have the strict authority to say what is and what is not a collectible.... HAH... to that i say HOGWASH.............LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

· Registered
1,096 Posts
Are you "BLUEING" that Muscle Car or "Painting It" ??? That RC K98, are you PAINTING it "Sassy Grass Green or Hemi Orange" to cover the X that has to be rewelded over that the Gunsmith Reblue Job won't hide???

Don't forget that the repro Muscle Car Fenders and Quarters are coming from India and China. Keep your GM all GM. Even so, if a Muscle Car is Mismatched, it's priced accordingly like an RC to an Original. A No-Brainer.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Put a grocery bag on your head and breath deep for about an hour.. if you pass out do it again.

What's to know about you? You are meaningless to the hobby, this forum or even rc collecting (such as it is?) If you hadn't made your 180 posts to this forum would anything have been lost? Have you contributed anything to this forum?

Well there.. I didn't think so..

bla bla bla simon stool, as stated your opinion that R/C's are worthless junk is meaningless, and you need to get over yourself you did not create or influence the standard in the collecting community. That is left to the buyers and sellers, and for the record you know little to nothing about me, but then again thats about par for the course for your rather meaningless posts on what is accepted in your ((((self claimed small elite community of collectors)))) who have the strict authority to say what is and what is not a collectible.... HAH... to that i say HOGWASH.............LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

· Registered
4,719 Posts
paul, possibly you can help identify a setup that i purchased today. it is over on the commercial and military sporting arms forum. any help would be appreciated, big guy.

· Registered
4,719 Posts
Are you "BLUEING" that Muscle Car or "Painting It" ??? That RC K98, are you PAINTING it "Sassy Grass Green or Hemi Orange" to cover the X that has to be rewelded over that the Gunsmith Reblue Job won't hide???

Don't forget that the repro Muscle Car Fenders and Quarters are coming from India and China. Keep your GM all GM. Even so, if a Muscle Car is Mismatched, it's priced accordingly like an RC to an Original. A No-Brainer.
ah, is repainting a car altering it? changing parts altering it? ah, yes. you have "zero" logic in your comparison. simply put, just a smart a$$ response is all. btw, i never EVER see you post a photo of ANYTHING. are you just a troll who reads and posts comments as such just to gain favor of a few here? what is your contribution anyway? please show us photos of what you have regarding k98s...and ah, err, junk restored cars also if you will.

the simple fact of the matter is that you are missing the logic wc. the price on the non-original muscle cars has always been dictated by supply and demand. wow, imagine if some foreign country could import 100,000 old muscle cars that were pimped out(no, not mexico, they couldn't afford them in the first place). do you think there would be people snapping them up until they were gone? do you think current owners of said cars would be pissed because it would be driving the price of their cars down in price? uh, yes.

rc's may just be a fad because they are available and when the suppliers are out then maybe the rc interest will be also, maybe not though....it is still to be determined.

your comment about fenders and whatever else coming from china, etc. well, do you honestly think that ford makes the replacable fenders for the mustangs? i think not. once they are installed on a resto project car and painted does it matter to the next buyer? i think not, or said buyer would not pay ... um....$7000 - $15,000 for a 64 1/2 convertible mustang(with foreign made sheet metal).

· Registered
2,742 Posts
Oh, most bnz's are not made in a concentration camp.. like the Stalingrad rc, its a creation of creative salesmen selling rifles to the novice with more money than sense.

Legitimate ss markings greatly enhance a rifles value, - it also greatly increases the rate of humpers trying to cash in on the foolish.
We know that a certain place in Kalifornia has been hyping their collection of over priced reworked (faked?) SS concentration camp Mausers for several years now. I'm not interested either. The next 98K I'll buy must be a S/42 or S/42G so that it matches my Mauser made 1938 Luger pistol...

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Bill, Diatribe or not they are junk, and I do think they are the poorest of themes to collect- they have almost no merit in any collection.

I have been offered and even turned down $400 bolt mismatches.. bought a few even for less, - if you take the time to make “collector” friends you can find nice bolt m/m for much less..

We do agree on one thing, they are what they are- and in this case Russian rifles made from a German rifle base; they should not be "restored" as they really can't be.

Most you can do is make them "representative" of what you need- and unless its something nearly unattainable- swjXE, 35/Brosigwalde or 35/ERMA (all nearly impossible to find "original/matching") then its a wasteful diversion best avoided.

(A 37 BSW in original trim, matching is a little rare, an rc is common, - most are rc's that exist today- either way no BSW is an 35 Borsigwalde or 35/ERMA, even though when 98k rarity is discussed BSW is so revered.)
I have been around since Tuco's trader and I can count on two fingers the times I have been offered a mismatch. BIO is the only one. I'll get my mailbox cleaned out so all these offers will have room to pour in. Good parts make good rifles. Rifles were made to shoot. Pictures are made to look at. All the best. Sunfish

· Registered
336 Posts
Put a grocery bag on your head and breath deep for about an hour.. if you pass out do it again.

What's to know about you? You are meaningless to the hobby, this forum or even rc collecting (such as it is?) If you hadn't made your 180 posts to this forum would anything have been lost? Have you contributed anything to this forum?

Well there.. I didn't think so..

AHHH bow everyone for the k98 god has spoken and set forth these rules and laws that now govern the K98 mauser colleting universe and here they are, direct from the source for your collecting guidance and pleasures concerning the R/C K98:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) rc's are a barreled receiver, a refinished barreled receiver.. they are nothing more, they are, err well, err garbage. From a collectors pov they are junk.

2) Bill, Diatribe or not they are junk, and I do think they are the poorest of themes to collect- they have almost no merit in any collection.

3) they are what they are- and in this case Russian rifles made from a German rifle base; they should not be "restored" as they really can't be. Most you can do is make them "representative" of what you need- and unless its something nearly unattainable- swjXE, 35/Brosigwalde or 35/ERMA (all nearly impossible to find "original/matching") then its a wasteful diversion best avoided.

4) your money buy what you like. People in this country are buying obama coins so nothing surprises me anymore.. considering the accepted standard of excellence in this country the rc standard is quite normal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final words of wisdom from the MASTER:::::

When some one is telling you rc's aren't junk and they are collectable it is merely an opinion.. one derived by lack of experience. Fact is all hobbies have standards, members of that hobby set those standards, I have collected the 98k since 1984 and know many in the hobby, and very few "collectors" I know have a high regard for the rc (none actually).. from a collectors pov rc's have no merit, they are below the standard most experienced collectors (of German rifles- Russian collectors probably marvel at their quality as these are soviet rifles) have set. As coin collectors, antique collectors or collectors of cars will tell you originality is the standard, anything refinished, restored are heavily de-valued and if bad enough is worth what the item is (a used chair or a drivable car or for parts) same here a rc is a rifle, for shooting, jumping around in mud holes dressed up like Kiska, or hunting..

Anyway, the reality is some here know nothing of the subject they discuss or post about. Some have 180 posts, many probably in this forum and have never had an opinion that should be taken seriously. All opinions should be taken with two things in mind (imo) the level of experience on the subject and motivation.
I don't sell rifles publicly, am not heavily invested in an rc collection, and have experience in the hobby, know most experienced collectors, many face to face. Others either sell, have sold, or are heavily invested in the rc, and have almost no experience outside of Backbone and their collection of rc's/misc junk they have accumulated over the months they have collected the rc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF AFTER ALL THIS YOU BUY OR COLLECT A R/C --- THEN YOU SHOULD----

You are meaningless to the hobby
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND now hence forth you now have the appropriate guidence set forth by SimsonSuhl concerning the R/C K98......

· Registered
1,731 Posts
I think anything collectable is in the eye and pocket book of the beholder. It is human nature to want to collect things. One mans trash is anothers treasure.
That we have different opinions on what is valuable or collectable shouldnt be ridiculed but embraced. We are all K98 admirers or we wouldnt be here. Enjoyment and monetary gain is to be had from both sides of the K98 fence, I think we should be thankful that we live in a country where we can still collect what ever our economic situation allows. Just some thoughts for what its worth.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Well then the grocery bag worked??

From a quick overview you look to have it down properly.. I agree with everything I wrote.

Maybe you are only half the idiot I judged you to be long ago..

AHHH bow everyone for the k98 god has spoken and set forth these rules and laws that now govern the K98 mauser colleting universe and here they are, direct from the source for your collecting guidance and pleasures concerning the R/C K98:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) rc's are a barreled receiver, a refinished barreled receiver.. they are nothing more, they are, err well, err garbage. From a collectors pov they are junk.

2) Bill, Diatribe or not they are junk, and I do think they are the poorest of themes to collect- they have almost no merit in any collection.

3) they are what they are- and in this case Russian rifles made from a German rifle base; they should not be "restored" as they really can't be. Most you can do is make them "representative" of what you need- and unless its something nearly unattainable- swjXE, 35/Brosigwalde or 35/ERMA (all nearly impossible to find "original/matching") then its a wasteful diversion best avoided.

4) your money buy what you like. People in this country are buying obama coins so nothing surprises me anymore.. considering the accepted standard of excellence in this country the rc standard is quite normal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final words of wisdom from the MASTER:::::

When some one is telling you rc's aren't junk and they are collectable it is merely an opinion.. one derived by lack of experience. Fact is all hobbies have standards, members of that hobby set those standards, I have collected the 98k since 1984 and know many in the hobby, and very few "collectors" I know have a high regard for the rc (none actually).. from a collectors pov rc's have no merit, they are below the standard most experienced collectors (of German rifles- Russian collectors probably marvel at their quality as these are soviet rifles) have set. As coin collectors, antique collectors or collectors of cars will tell you originality is the standard, anything refinished, restored are heavily de-valued and if bad enough is worth what the item is (a used chair or a drivable car or for parts) same here a rc is a rifle, for shooting, jumping around in mud holes dressed up like Kiska, or hunting..

Anyway, the reality is some here know nothing of the subject they discuss or post about. Some have 180 posts, many probably in this forum and have never had an opinion that should be taken seriously. All opinions should be taken with two things in mind (imo) the level of experience on the subject and motivation.
I don't sell rifles publicly, am not heavily invested in an rc collection, and have experience in the hobby, know most experienced collectors, many face to face. Others either sell, have sold, or are heavily invested in the rc, and have almost no experience outside of Backbone and their collection of rc's/misc junk they have accumulated over the months they have collected the rc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF AFTER ALL THIS YOU BUY OR COLLECT A R/C --- THEN YOU SHOULD----

You are meaningless to the hobby
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND now hence forth you now have the appropriate guidence set forth by SimsonSuhl concerning the R/C K98......

· Gold Bullet Member
2,909 Posts
Are RC's collectible? I bought mine a year and a half ago for $220. You are now hoping to find one for $350. That is an accurate price for today.

Yes, they are worth collecting. I tend to only get one of any type of gun though. They're also worth shooting. Given that they are a mix-up of parts you've got a good chance at least one party came from a rifle that saw action. They are refurbed, yes, but by a military power post WWII and at one point it served in the wehrmacht. Getting a real nazi rifle would not do me a bit of good because they're mechanically the same. Unless you want to hardcore get into K98 collecting, get an(1) RC and enjoy it.

· Registered
1,816 Posts
RC 98k's are "Shooters", and should be valued as such. I don't like to fire my two collectables for fear of possible damage, so the Russian refurbs have a place for me. Just don't expect an investment piece!

21 - 40 of 158 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.