Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
2,873 Posts
rc's... they are, err well, err garbage. From a collectors pov they are junk.... but they are still junk..... but otherwise you are a sucker and will be sorry when you sell.... they are junk- All Caps JUNK.. avoid them if you can.. buy a bolt m/m for $100 more?
In his own harsh way Simson makes a good point...but it is hard to see through his diatribe against RC's.....

If you are looking for an investment, and something more collectible...save a bit more money and buy a bolt only mismatch rifle....(400-800 range).

This option will hold its value more, and increase in value more.

An RC is an RC...some "German use only" collectors see them as an abomination...Others have come to accept them for what they are...post war reworks... Some buy them thinking it is a low $$ entry level way to get a German 98k...(IE: I'll buy one cheap and spend more money and time making it look real and this will get me a real German 98k) That said...don't waste the money buying an RC and then trying to re-germanize it...refinish, adding and mix and matching stocks and parts etc etc.... If you want an RC buy an RC....If you want a german 98k then save more money and buy a bolt mismatch as an entry level rifle. You will be happier in the long run.

· Banned
2,873 Posts
....they are junk, and I do think they are the poorest of themes to collect- they have almost no merit in any collection.
I understand your opinion, but it is a little like arguing over what is tastier...Caviar or shrimp....some will like one or the other simply as a matter of taste, some can afford only to enjoy shrimp...some canl enjoy both.

No matter what side of the argument a person falls into...both sides are just agrguing over a subjective opinion...there is no real right or wrong answer as set forth by God, Alah, Buddha, Mars or whoever....so in the end it comes down to "bung" holes....like opinions we all have one.

· Banned
2,873 Posts
If you want top quality, buy an early rifle, pre-39 is best, pre-42 is good, after this time frame standards dropped by order of the Adolf, but year for year I would stick with byf or dot for top quality- consistent top quality.
Being you are a bit of a newbie I want to expand a bit on the above "Father and Son".....any year and any maker you come across will be fully serviceable for the purpose they were intended....warfare... The quality standards that declined as mentioned by Simson were mostly related to fit and finish as the war went on, and the related manufacturing short cuts intended to increase production. So don't rule out a nice 44 or 45 dated rifle as completely unshootable. Just realize that the earlier rifles will tend to have smoother actions, and a better fit and finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.