Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2,987 Posts
All the “finishers/assemblers” are the same, some had lower standards to finish or appearance.. Steyr the worst, Gustloff too poor, Sauer low quality finish, thin, polished even early on (one of the reasons its less popular with collectors- high quality workmanship but thin finish and weak markings due to polishing.. find a nice one and it’s a plus!).
Top quality is what you seek? Seek out Mauser Oberndorf or the occupied Czech makers; they had the highest quality across the board.

No one beat Mauser Oberndorf on quality (34-45), and the Czechs were next by far, they were in house and top quality.

As to metal quality- not an issue, they all received blanks of equal quality and no differences of note to worry over, these rifles were “accepted” by a standard set of controls, and they all met the standard or they would not be “acceptanced” or finaled... Its finish and QC that you should look too if that is your thing.. typically the most common are the best made (byf/dot) but they are all essentially the same material wise.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
rc's are a barreled receiver, a refinished barreled receiver.. they are nothing more, they are, err well, err garbage. From a collectors pov they are junk.

I know they deserve respect, they were at Stalingrad etc.. but they are still junk.

If you want a re-enactor piece, something to hold during re-runs of "Band of Brothers" (a Garand would be more appropriate through..) or you can't find a swjXE, 35/ERMA or 35/Borsigwalde then ok, but otherwise you are a sucker and will be sorry when you sell.

Tough love Bro, they are junk- All Caps JUNK.. avoid them if you can.. buy a bolt m/m for $100 more?

When looking at RC K98k's, look at the overall condition of the metal, and the condition and appropriateness of the stock. The current condition of the metal is probably more significant than which contractor originally made it. Earlier stocks had flat buttplates. Cupped buttplates started appearing in 1940.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Bill, Diatribe or not they are junk, and I do think they are the poorest of themes to collect- they have almost no merit in any collection.

I have been offered and even turned down $400 bolt mismatches.. bought a few even for less, - if you take the time to make “collector” friends you can find nice bolt m/m for much less..

We do agree on one thing, they are what they are- and in this case Russian rifles made from a German rifle base; they should not be "restored" as they really can't be.

Most you can do is make them "representative" of what you need- and unless its something nearly unattainable- swjXE, 35/Brosigwalde or 35/ERMA (all nearly impossible to find "original/matching") then its a wasteful diversion best avoided.

(A 37 BSW in original trim, matching is a little rare, an rc is common, - most are rc's that exist today- either way no BSW is an 35 Borsigwalde or 35/ERMA, even though when 98k rarity is discussed BSW is so revered.)

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Steyr/bnz by midwar are generally the worst finished, sloppy is a good description.. Steyr are popular I suppose for the sinister reputation they have?

All the rifle makers "essential" standards were the same- steel, fit and interchangeability (none were any better than the other I suspect, 100% parts interchangeability was never achieved) but "finish and appearance" Steyr (imo) is the least quality.

You must remember few of the rifle mfg were "only" rifle makers, they all had other lines, and Steyr more than the rest this was true.. they were bigtime makers of the 98k but they made the widest array of products and probably was the largest of the firms in the total sense (either by themselves as a diverse company or by who owned Steyr- the largest of the large in nazi dirtbag Germany)

Anyway, Steyr is not popular for its "quality" of a finished product, (early in the war they were high quality- look at the gorgeous 29o) as they were the first to use slave labor and had the best ss connections they were also the first to lower finish standards. I suspect they had a lot of rejected parts too and probably played a part in the later ss production.

Steyr is a fascinating company though, both before the war and till the very end.. this subject is covered in some depth in Bruce's and Mike's new book.

However, I have a question about the BNZ code mausers. Are they really considered any better than any of the others? Or are they just more expensive because of their supposed production in concentration camps? Also, does the Totenkopfgruppen mark make them any more valuable?

· Registered
2,987 Posts
I understand your opinion as well, and no argument for the most part- your money buy what you like.

People in this country are buying obama coins so nothing surprises me anymore.. considering the accepted standard of excellence in this country the rc standard is quite normal.

I understand your opinion, but it is a little like arguing over what is tastier...Caviar or shrimp....some will like one or the other simply as a matter of taste, some can afford only to enjoy shrimp...some canl enjoy both.

No matter what side of the argument a person falls into...both sides are just agrguing over a subjective opinion...there is no real right or wrong answer as set forth by God, Alah, Buddha, Mars or whoever....so in the end it comes down to "bung" holes....like opinions we all have one.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Mauser used S42, 42 and byf, all are the standard for the year they are made.. earlier are better but year for year its my opinion they are the consistent highest quality.
Czech are dot and dou for the 98k, they too were owned by the same 'corporation’ or rather ‘conglomerate’ that owned Steyr, and when they were disinvested by this concern they too remained under the same umbrella management firm (in this case Speer's Ministry, though Steyr was slightly different and had special management)

If you want top quality, buy an early rifle, pre-39 is best, pre-42 is good, after this time frame standards dropped by order of the Adolf, but year for year I would stick with byf or dot for top quality- consistent top quality.

If your salesman said that bnz rifles are mostly made in concentration camps I say he is a liar.. if he said they were largely made with slave labor he is less a liar. Steyr at Radom was very heavily involved in slave and forced labor (and most components came from Radom for Steyr assembly)- the most extreme of existence short of a concentration camp. In Austria Steyr was the first to take advantage of slave labor and they used it extensively but the many things are not clear as to where or what parts of Steyr used this labor first (Steyr was a corporation of many parts) or how and where it was developed.
I wrote an extensive piece on Steyr history, Mike wrote one on the aspects of Steyr latewar, wait 6 months and hopefully you can read what we discovered in our research.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
When some one is telling you rc's aren't junk and they are collectable it is merely an opinion.. one derived by lack of experience. Fact is all hobbies have standards, members of that hobby set those standards, I have collected the 98k since 1984 and know many in the hobby, and very few "collectors" I know have a high regard for the rc (none actually).. from a collectors pov rc's have no merit, they are below the standard most experienced collectors (of German rifles- Russian collectors probably marvel at their quality as these are soviet rifles) have set. As coin collectors, antique collectors or collectors of cars will tell you originality is the standard, anything refinished, restored are heavily de-valued and if bad enough is worth what the item is (a used chair or a drivable car or for parts) same here a rc is a rifle, for shooting, jumping around in mud holes dressed up like Kiska, or hunting..

Anyway, the reality is some here know nothing of the subject they discuss or post about. Some have 180 posts, many probably in this forum and have never had an opinion that should be taken seriously. All opinions should be taken with two things in mind (imo) the level of experience on the subject and motivation.
I don't sell rifles publicly, am not heavily invested in an rc collection, and have experience in the hobby, know most experienced collectors, many face to face. Others either sell, have sold, or are heavily invested in the rc, and have almost no experience outside of Backbone and their collection of rc's/misc junk they have accumulated over the months they have collected the rc.

Of course take all information available to you and form your own opinion, that is the purpose of forums. They give you the information to form your own opinion.

Listen up, theres good info here on the boards, but when someone tells you something is junk and not collectible, you need to have the ability to discern what is reality and what is mearly an opinion... .....

· Registered
2,987 Posts
From someone who can't even quote properly calling others an idiot is, well idiotic..

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit I see but you might note I didn't say I set the standard, but "collectors" do- you by the way are not a collector, you are an rc idiot.

Anyway, the German military rifle hobby is nothing to get a big head over, its something I take serious because I have the time and inclination, but I only tolerate stupidity such as you spew daily to further my studies on this little hobby of little significance to the world.

When some one is telling you rc's aren't junk and they are collectable it is merely an opinion.. one derived by lack of experience. Fact is all hobbies have standards, members of that hobby set those standards, I have collected the 98k since 1984 and know many in the hobby, and very few "collectors" I know have a high regard for the rc (none actually).. from a collectors pov rc's have no merit, they are below the standard most experienced collectors (of German rifles- Russian collectors probably marvel at their quality as these are soviet rifles) have set.[END QUOTE]

sorry you dont set the standard for what is collectible in the mauser world, and frankly sound like an Idiot for saying you do... you are not one of very few elites who set the standard, your just a guy who knows a decent amout about K98's and fell victim to BIG HEAD syndrome... R/C's are as collectible as any other gun anyone wants to collect... some statements simply have the ring of truth, and then we have what you say.......

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Award, take breather.. the car analogy is not the one I used- if you want to critique my opinion do it properly?

"As coin collectors, antique collectors or collectors of cars will tell you originality is the standard, anything refinished, restored are heavily de-valued and if bad enough is worth what the item is (a used chair or a drivable car or for parts)"

The above is my comment, -restored are devalued, if bad enough you have a car or parts.. the rest of your comments are playing the same theme you came up on your own...

i guess all old muscle cars that are in original conditon, including original paint, are in fact the only cars that collectors seek out? wait, i think that is wrong. collectors don't pass on muscle cars that were repainted, repaired from a crash or that have a replaced part(including engines, transmissions, EXHAUST, fenders, quarter panels, seat covers, carpet, etc., etc., etc.)

they don't pass on model t autos either. they cobble them together from other cars and they have a following for what they are. they are valuable.

the rc comment is getting old and is repeated too often, it is laughable. it is SO self absorbed it actually is funny. ok, yes, most of us seek original condition rifles and have to settle for less(kind of like car collectors and what is commonly available?), but anything less than original is still collectable. if rc k98s were not collectable then they wouldn't be selling? there are highly regarded members here that not only have bought them, they also have a different opinion than you, paul.

old colt pistols that have a cylinder replaced are absolutely collectable are they not? what about winchester rifles?

what about spanish gold coins from the bottom of the sea? all covered in one thing or another and someone cleans them. are they valuable for what they are?

what about that original parts condition k98 that some soldier put motor oil on the stock to repel the water? not original condition and no collector value?

i don't think gew98 ww1 rifles are collectible. the reason? well, they are too long and ah, er, i think they are junk at best. of course i don't really feel that way, but did it strike a nerve? that is how your rc opinion, which is expressed too often, affects others? paul, i am not jabbing you but just trying to get you to lighten up on the comments is all.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Put a grocery bag on your head and breath deep for about an hour.. if you pass out do it again.

What's to know about you? You are meaningless to the hobby, this forum or even rc collecting (such as it is?) If you hadn't made your 180 posts to this forum would anything have been lost? Have you contributed anything to this forum?

Well there.. I didn't think so..

bla bla bla simon stool, as stated your opinion that R/C's are worthless junk is meaningless, and you need to get over yourself you did not create or influence the standard in the collecting community. That is left to the buyers and sellers, and for the record you know little to nothing about me, but then again thats about par for the course for your rather meaningless posts on what is accepted in your ((((self claimed small elite community of collectors)))) who have the strict authority to say what is and what is not a collectible.... HAH... to that i say HOGWASH.............LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Well then the grocery bag worked??

From a quick overview you look to have it down properly.. I agree with everything I wrote.

Maybe you are only half the idiot I judged you to be long ago..

AHHH bow everyone for the k98 god has spoken and set forth these rules and laws that now govern the K98 mauser colleting universe and here they are, direct from the source for your collecting guidance and pleasures concerning the R/C K98:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) rc's are a barreled receiver, a refinished barreled receiver.. they are nothing more, they are, err well, err garbage. From a collectors pov they are junk.

2) Bill, Diatribe or not they are junk, and I do think they are the poorest of themes to collect- they have almost no merit in any collection.

3) they are what they are- and in this case Russian rifles made from a German rifle base; they should not be "restored" as they really can't be. Most you can do is make them "representative" of what you need- and unless its something nearly unattainable- swjXE, 35/Brosigwalde or 35/ERMA (all nearly impossible to find "original/matching") then its a wasteful diversion best avoided.

4) your money buy what you like. People in this country are buying obama coins so nothing surprises me anymore.. considering the accepted standard of excellence in this country the rc standard is quite normal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final words of wisdom from the MASTER:::::

When some one is telling you rc's aren't junk and they are collectable it is merely an opinion.. one derived by lack of experience. Fact is all hobbies have standards, members of that hobby set those standards, I have collected the 98k since 1984 and know many in the hobby, and very few "collectors" I know have a high regard for the rc (none actually).. from a collectors pov rc's have no merit, they are below the standard most experienced collectors (of German rifles- Russian collectors probably marvel at their quality as these are soviet rifles) have set. As coin collectors, antique collectors or collectors of cars will tell you originality is the standard, anything refinished, restored are heavily de-valued and if bad enough is worth what the item is (a used chair or a drivable car or for parts) same here a rc is a rifle, for shooting, jumping around in mud holes dressed up like Kiska, or hunting..

Anyway, the reality is some here know nothing of the subject they discuss or post about. Some have 180 posts, many probably in this forum and have never had an opinion that should be taken seriously. All opinions should be taken with two things in mind (imo) the level of experience on the subject and motivation.
I don't sell rifles publicly, am not heavily invested in an rc collection, and have experience in the hobby, know most experienced collectors, many face to face. Others either sell, have sold, or are heavily invested in the rc, and have almost no experience outside of Backbone and their collection of rc's/misc junk they have accumulated over the months they have collected the rc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF AFTER ALL THIS YOU BUY OR COLLECT A R/C --- THEN YOU SHOULD----

Put a grocery bag on your head and breath deep for about an hour.. if you pass out do it again.
You are meaningless to the hobby
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND now hence forth you now have the appropriate guidence set forth by SimsonSuhl concerning the R/C K98......

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Sarge has to be the longest winded blowhard on any of the forums (never contributes a worthwhile “original” thought or advice), worst he is probably the world record holder for collecting the 98k and not having a clue to the subject at hand.. He has by his own admission been at it 3x as long as I have and is a total incompetent-

As to an expert status, you might note I have never claimed such, and no one I know ever has. This title of “expert” and “elitist” is a derogatory title lame dickcheeses like Hannah and “sarge the nincompoop” use when they have no back up to their argument.

Sarge just outlined why his position on the rc has no merit, he by his own acknowledgment states he is a longtime rc turdmonger, and often posts his “findings” of his study of the rc to the forums (usually on GK where there is no one to challenge his nonsense since Hambone and most experienced collectors left), often in high comedic fashion.. his infamous G29o Israeli 98k befuddlement (he went on about Law/Backbone over this rifle being proof of a 1938 Steyr 98k- of all the problems with Backbone he chooses something that is accurate!) is legendary as is his nearly as comical approach to the “X Depot” only found on the rc..

Seeing as Sarge wants to play who knows what I will actually take some time to ridicule “sarge” on his latest foray into stupid land regarding the “X” depot.

On another thread-

Weelll, I missed out on the start of this and have just spent over 60+ min reading thru it all. :eek:
This argument/disagreement among those so far involved - and now me - is an ongoing, never changing one!!! :rolleyes:

I have not made enuf posts to please these "expertz," so of course I'm Not a bonifide collector of anything WW2, especially German! I don't qualify for that title since I didn't buy my first K98k untill the summer of 1953 from an uncle who had brought it back from Germany at the end of WW 2, and I used it to hunt deer with for the next 5 years. I quit using it because I had bought a K 43 and liked it better. By about this time I also had a couple of other 98ks, 2 MP 40s, an MP 44, a Thompson, a Luger, 5 or 6 P.38s, an M1 Carbine, a Garand & an 03A3.
I have original, matching, vet bring back & not so, non import marked k98ks.
I would have more, but the ex wife & boyfriend stole 36 rifles, pistols & shotguns in 1971 - mostly K98ks & G/K 43s. Since that time I have replaced what few I could find and afford, which wasn't many!

When the imports began to come in in the 80s I bought a lot for resale. I always sorted thru and kept some really nice nearly matching ones for myself. When the RC X marked stuff began to come in I got a few of them.
Then about 3 yrs ago I fell into a deal where I got the pick of 400 disassembled K98ks, mostly RCs, for very good prices. I also got to pick thru the parts bins to get factory matching parts, even found some matching numbers. The end result is that I now have over 50 rifles that have the X & import marks or import marks with no X and a some with neither from that pile. I tried to find rifles I wanted without the X and if possible w/o import marks. I found some, maby 1/3 of what I bought.
The one thing they have in common is that ALL of them have All matching factory acceptance proof marks on every part that should have it.

On the other hand if I had bought Only matching original, non import marked K98ks in that time period for the money I spent on these 50+ "non collectable" rifles I would probably have 5 or MABY 7 rifles if I had gotten lucky and none of them would be S/27G, S/42G, S/243G, bsw 37 or 38. I have ALL the S/27 & S/243 variants except the Ks. I do have an S/42K. I also have 25+ 660/bnz marked rifles.
Unfortunately NONE of these rifles are "collectable" according to the self styled "expertz" who have so vocaly expressed their opinion on the subjekt.
I would like for any of them to quote me the dictionary by title, year & page nr that defines collectable items in a manner that excludes the RCs!
What is not collectable to them, and perhaps their small circle of friends has NO bearing what is truly collectable - in ANY catagory! It merely defines what THEY consider collectable! AND what they would like to convince everyone else should be so - But "AIN'T!"
Of course there is also the value thing repeatedly jumped on be it refurbed cars or well worn coins with the inference that some think the RCs have as high a value as a bring back. NOT SO!!! and NO One on this thread who favors RCs has claimed anything of the sort! Altho value has been going up!
The RCs do however allow both the beginning collector or those at the next step or 2 up the ladder to buy rifles with certain mfgr code & date they are interested in for a price they can afford. Very few on this or any other gun board can afford to spend $2000+ for an all matching pristine K98k. They have other obligations that even prevent them saving up that amount of $$$ to beable to buy one in the next couple of years. For them their only immediate hope of owning a WW 2 German rifle, especially one of the early/rare codes/dates is to buy an RC. My thought is GO FOR IT!!! Some years down the line when you can afford $2+K for an nice matching original, buy it too!
Sarge

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Your bag fall off? Burst a seam?

Sarge is a longtime idiot and your reality check is that if you find yourself on the same page as Sarge you need to pucker up, double bag and re-evaluate quick.

you are soo "laughable" must be lonely at the top, seems to me like you like to say ((("never contributes a worthwhile “original” thought or advice"))) about anyones opinion that disagree's with your own. you like to play lord of the mauser, and act as if you set the standards and all must fall in-line... well the masses have spoken with their $$$$$$ .... R/C K98's have gone up in value since first introduced a few yrs back. I am glad this urk's you as much as it does, they ARE german manufactured K98's and are fully functional weapons made from the best actions and parts ever made. The fact that you call them junk just goes to show how little you understand about the appreciation of fine firearms. Seems you like wall hangers to just look at with all your matching little parts that you will never shoot. Your shooters probably come from WAL-MART as you wont own a R/C and i highly doubt you would take out your all matching guns for a leisure shoot or hunt... R/C k-98's are fully functional as well as collectible guns, even your so called friends who say they agree with you OWN THEM>>>>>> HAH!!!!!!!!!!! FIGURE THAT ONE OUT THERE TURBO..........they probably dont want to upset you, so they speak in code.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Plenty of good stuff in the US, and BiO could do a testimonial about his experiences I am sure.. it takes effort and a willingness to participate in the hobby.

It’s like a good job or a wife, if you sit at home waiting for either to knock on the door or an ad to show up on Gunboards you will probably find neither.

Anything worthwhile takes an effort, you have to meet people and participate in the hobby. You want to meet a woman, go to Church or get a good job, hobbies women like or go to college at night.. you want a rifle make friends and participate in the hobby.

Some advice, try and make friends in the hobby, make it known what you want and in the beginning what you are willing to pay for it- don't be a cheapskate.. If a real collector offers you something that is interesting and reasonably priced- take it and don't haggle or be a pest (don’t worry over squeezing the best deal possible). Later other rifles will be upgraded and you will be on his list, if you were hassle free or a non-idiot he will very likely go back to you (I know if I sell a rifle to an idiot and he haggles or makes things complicated- guess what I don't deal with him again)
Or go to a show and set up a table, just for display if you have nothing to sale. Some work the doors, or do pre-opening trades.

In the end it takes effort. - or you can buy rc's and take your chances on the trader? (with a thousand other guys- just like going to bars hunting for women outside Camp Pendleton with a high & tight- good luck..)

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Well said, I agree with much you wrote, - and a few others- they have a narrow purpose in the hobby, even for me.. I use their data to further my work.

Try finding a VERY few 98k's? 35 ERMA or Borsigwalde are nearly impossible to find original, even I can understand that decision. For the most part they are mud puddle guns and rifles for sporting though and I wouldn't own one for any other purpose.

Ahhh, what the hell, I'll jump into this fray with my $0.02...

Look for a begining collector now a days, the pickins' are generally slim, and prices have dramatically shot up. If you want to dip your toes into the 98k waters, a RC is a good choice, they are relatively around, and are relatively cheap.

The analogy to muscle cars is pretty good....sure, there are lots of rebuilt/repainted/refurbed muscle cars around, where only some of the body, the frame and some interior are original. Many of them are pretty, a lot of people would love to own one. Someone starting out wanting to collect/drive muscle cars will most likely start with one of these....but as time goes on, and knowledge is gained, and research is done, and you watch the markets many who stick with the mania will realize the real good stuff are the original, unmessed with cars. Sure they ain't cheap, but they rise in value much quicker, and are always highly desireable, and there is something about an factory original 68 Mustang that is way different to the car lover than any souped up umteenth rebuilt super pimp Mustangs....

SimsonSuhl may be blunt, but he is right on. Nothing wrong with cutting your teeth on an RC, nothing wrong with buying scarce code RC's to fill a hole (the one RC I regret not buying was a full Gew 98 conversion....). Look, the world of real quality, original 98k's isn't for the faint of heart...a lot of money (unless you luck into them, which I have been lucky enough to do, it helps when you have a network, and 98k values are depressed in your area), and A LOT of humpers and carnival barkers...easy to get burned unless you know your stuff.

I started collecting 98k's not long after SimsonSuhl, about 1987/88...I have been VERY lucky with my buying, and have a lot of nice rifles. I personally would not buy an RC, unless it is something I really want to use to fill a hole. I d have one RC, but its one of the IO LSR sniper repros....and I do kick myself not buying that Gew conversion. I could say that the romantic notion that a particular rifle was captured at Stalingrad, but really, how many RC's were captured in overrun arsenals and depots, and sent to Mother Russia for the RC treatment?

IMHO (and its just that, strictly my opinion) I find no real collector value in RC's, and I wouldn't buy one except under extraordinary circumstances...but they DO have a place, especially with begining collectors. They have been a two edged sword though, while driving up collector interest, and consequently the value of the rifles in my collection, it also makes it tough to score that matching bringback for $250!!!!

Good luck with it, have fun. Buy Law's Backbone of the Wehrmacht for a great overview and a lot if decent info on 98k's, but realize it has many problems/gaps, and it is NOT a bible. Buy a nice RC, take it apart, love it, learn about it. If you get a little crazy, strip and redo the stock, and start searching for "correct" parts. Be forewarned....you will have the desire to start getting different codes, different years, and the drive for the perfect matching specimen will start! I started out with one, got Laws book to research it, now have over 30...they are more addicting than crack! I have skipped many a electric or gas or whatever bill to buy that next specimen....don't say no one warned you!!!

· Registered
2,987 Posts
"refinished, reblued, electro-penciled original German manufactured parts" assembled in no apparent order or purpose.

Some are defaced or scrubbed, some with little prep work before re-blue in typical soviet fashion..

By your standards, a woman is a virgin again after a shower?

as R/C K98's are "made from all original german manufactured parts", .

· Registered
2,987 Posts
The average rc went through more history than 10 original rifles as all rc's are made up of more than 10 "original" rifles.

When some enterprising huckster gun seller says the rifle was from Stalingrad or Kursk or whatever he is not far from the truth as the rifle is made up of so many parts who's to say where each part came from?

This doesn't change the fact these are put together rifles poorly refinished and the collection of parts have no collective history before the soviet assembly.

Besides the negatives (poorly refinished accumulation of parts, poorly assembled and shellacked, and lack of any originality- the standard of all collectables) they are great rifles!

In other words they are junk from a collectors pov.

the rc went thru the same war as non rc's and probably alot more since most of them have shot out bores.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Well for one, I answered his questions, several of them.. his questions were on Steyr and quality of the mfg to one another which were answered in more detail than any new collector could have expected to have on a public forum.

Second the originator of a thread does not set the agenda of the thread. Nor do the people who answer (or try to answer) the questions.

Introducing new collectors to the hobby, well for me it is telling them the truth. In a year when your friendly new guy finds out he has 6 rc’s of no appreciable collector value and soon realizes he could have had 3-4 bolt m/m with patience and initiative he will leave the hobby because goody two-shoe “I don’t want to be a meanie” collectors didn’t let him know a better path.

As others have said, buy what you want, every man has to set his priorities.. if I had a son in college I would place his education and welfare first, as would most. For me that is not owning a low quality rifle of no collector value-

This will vary on the individual- as this thread has shown.

Why does this type of action come up every few months? Some new collector post on this board asking for help and what does he, or she, get? A whole load of crap! Thats what they get, not answers to the questions they need. What a poor way to introduce someone to this hobby which is under attack from the left!

We need to stop looking down on those who find it ok to collect the "junk" of the RC 98's. Or even those who think those who only want the all original vet bring backs that cost thousand. I for one look to the history of a piece, or for that matter pieces. If they could talk! I will admit that a pristine matching number 98 or for that matter any other type of rifle is a thing of beauty but how many of us have a super model for a partner? Huh, did you acept a second stringer?

Maybe someday I will be able to find and purchase the "holy grail" of 98 (and I think we all agree that Mitchell's doesn't sell them), but right now sending my son to college so he can have a better life than me is at the top of my list. Of coarse having heat and lights here in maine means a lot too!

Now as for the questions that need to be answered, lets get together and answer him. We can leave the fighting for those who wish to take away every RC and Vet bring back there is out there!

Just my 2 cents!

rick

Oh by the way, 9 mausers and 6 are k98s and how many are RC's I've forgotten! But as I said they meet my criteria so they are all important to me.;)

1 - 19 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.