Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every board should have a humor section where you can spill your guts about your latest screw-up. Well, here's mine:
I've got a decent 1940 k31 I'm refurbishing/rebluing. I reload, so I thought that since it was in pieces I'd take the time to do a chamber casting with Cerrosafe.
This stuff is some funky bismuth alloy that melts pretty low, no stink and gives you a perfect copy of your chamber's dimensions. You can check for damage, odd dimensions, throat erosion, etc. Great stuff.
You have to get the barrel clean, locked upright and the barrel plugged with a long rod you can use to tap the casting out; the end has to be sealed, more or less, but masking tape will do the job fine wrapped around the end. You mark the rod for the proper depth, say an inch below the chamber (to check the rifling a bit), insert the rod and you're ready to pour.
So I poured. Not full yet. Poured some more. Weird. Poured a bit more. Gawrsh, sometin's funny. A little more. What the Hell?!
Turns out I taped the wrong end of the rod- the short end!
Now I've got a beautifully accurate barrel with 13 inches plugged! Tap tap. No good. Bang bang. Stuck solid. Freeze it! Cerrosafe will shrink more than the barrel I.D. Whack whack. Nothing! I can throw a pretty good imitation of a spoiled brat tantrum, I can tell you.....
The situation was saved with some vodka, cogitation and a low-temp torch. The barrel was unhurt, thank Browning. I could hear the voice of my Grandfather's ghost with some sage and infuriating quote about fools and machinery............
Moral of the story? Never let me work on your stuff!

·
Gold Bullet member
2,116 Posts
Good story, glad it worked out OK for you, and the rifle!;)
When I use cerrosafe, I just stuff a patch in the barrel from the muzzle end, to an inch or two in front of the chamber. It is sufficient to seal the barrel, and peels right off of the cerrosafe.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've had some real bone-headed maneuvers strike me in the past, as well. Take comfort in knowing that you are not the only one :D I am glad that it worked itself out (with some Arkansan Engineering™), and I hope you at least got a semi-accurate chamber cast!

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
I had a bonehead momment with a 9x19 dummy cartridge and a Makarov once. Took me awhile before I solved the problem of how to get it out without ruining the handgun or cartridge.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,981 Posts
I once picked up the wrong ammo can, and went to a pistol match, where I discovered I had several hundred rounds of .223, instead of the .45ACP I had intended to shoot.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Had some extra 7.62x25 going to a buddy on firing line security at Knob Creek.
Proudly handed it to him and my grin turned VERY red as he told me it was 7.62x39 and wouldn't fit his CZ52!
The boxes were both look alikes (Meteka ?) next to each other and of course I grabbed the wrong ones.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
X-threads....

Well, this is a shared blooper, so I can only take 50% of the credit.

Two of us at a vintage arms shoot a few years were each shooting hexagonal bore Whitworth rifles - and of course, the bullet is also hexagonal to fit.

I cleaned up and carefully loaded my first shot for a sighter - a low 8 - and then set about doing it all over. Sadly, the shorter-than-usual bullet that I was trying out 'cross-threaded' about 8 inches down the bore on loading the second shot, effectively putting me out of the shoot for the rest of the day. My pal was laffin' himself fartless at my expense and meanwhile loadin up his very first shot.

It cross-threaded about 8 inches down the bore...

We sat and spotted for the rest of the guys that day.

tac

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
LOL

...Sadly, the shorter-than-usual bullet that I was trying out 'cross-threaded' about 8 inches down the bore on loading the second shot, effectively putting me out of the shoot for the rest of the day. My pal was laffin' himself fartless at my expense and meanwhile loadin up his very first shot.

It cross-threaded about 8 inches down the bore...
tac
on the intarwebz, we call that "pwn3d." :D

(partly gun blooper, partly "brain-fart") A couple of years ago, I was shooting with an amigo of mine on another friend's property. I decided to do some prone shooting with his brake-equipped .270 Win. The max-loads I was shooting had a fairly impressive muzzle blast, not on par with an M44, but still a decent bark. So, I grabbed the rifle and headed off to the side to a place where I could stretch out on the ground, hopefully to score some nice, tight groups. The bottom rows of ports for the brake were at about 5 and 7 o'clock, essentially blowing the gas straight down and back.

Had I paid more attention, I woulda seen the fire-ant hill about 3 inches past the end of the forearm. You can imagine what happened after the first shot, and consequent blast from the brake. Since I was laying prone, the ants went down my shirt, front and back. I used my fair share of Calamine lotion that next week...

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
Nothing so interesting. went to the range to shoot my .455 Webley and grabbed the wrong ammo. The gun I took was a shaved Webley which required. .45 AR ammo.
Or the time I took out my P54 enfield, but again grabbed the box of snider bullets instead of enfield bullets. The slug went down the bore a half inch and STOPPED. Needed an auto body dent puller to get it out.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,804 Posts
I don't have any stories to share but I sure do enjoy reading about everyone else's... :eek:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Well, I didn't OOPPSS out with my K31 today; I got thru the postal match OK. Even managed to do pretty good, considering I am out of practice off-hand.

But then I went to the pistol line to try out half a dozen different loads for my P35 & P38, to decide on the ammo & which pistol to use for next weekends match. I pulled out the can of ammo then realized I had left BOTH of the pistols at home - an hour & a half away!!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
No Swiss screw ups but I do stuff like this too. Take a semi tricked out Ruger 10/22 to the range only to discover I brought no magazines. Had to use it as an akward single shot.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I haven't had any real screwups, but I have forgotten to bring ammo, targets, and a magazine on different occasions. I saw a guy accidentally load a .45 ACP with a .40 S&W. Didn't hurt the guy, but the casing blew up.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,610 Posts
I have a couple Rugers in both 44 mag and 357 , Took a whole can of 44 to the range with a GP100 in 357 caliber, no fit.

Took my two M1 Carbines to the range with the proper ammo but no mags.

Went to sight in a couple Garands one time and forgot the spotting scope.

·
Registered
129 Posts
303 Miscue

Had a squib round with my Enfield Jungle Carbine one cold day at the range. The bullet stuck in the barrel but appeared just forward of the chamber. Couldn't get it out with my flimsy aluminum sectioned rod at the range so when I got home I tried to punch it out with a wooden dowel from the muzzle. Gave it a few punches and it proceeded to stick. Couldn't pull it out so proceeded to whack it harder. Shattered the end and then I had a mess stuck in there - so bad Kroil oil wouldn't even go through the mess. The gunsmith had to clean up this mess and I sheepishly handed him his $75. Moral of story - never use wooden dowell - use a steel rod!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Had a squib round with my Enfield Jungle Carbine one cold day at the range. The bullet stuck in the barrel but appeared just forward of the chamber. Couldn't get it out with my flimsy aluminum sectioned rod at the range so when I got home I tried to punch it out with a wooden dowel from the muzzle. Gave it a few punches and it proceeded to stick. Couldn't pull it out so proceeded to whack it harder. Shattered the end and then I had a mess stuck in there - so bad Kroil oil wouldn't even go through the mess. The gunsmith had to clean up this mess and I sheepishly handed him his $75. Moral of story - never use wooden dowell - use a steel rod!

It would be better to use a brass rod - not so much chance of screwing up the bore. Tapping from the muzzle may very well spread the soft aluminum rod around the bullet nose, wedging it in even tighter. Don't ask how I know!

Also, I have seen where a short brass rod, shaken up and down, removed the offending bullet.

HTH for next time.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Hi Guys! Six month ago i was at a rifle match, competing in the military rifle class, i had a very accurate 308Win spanish K98. The week before the match the rifle printed five shot in 2" at 200m (circa 220yrd). I was very confident about my performance... I shooted the first round,hoping an X ring... look at the spotting scope... nothing. I shooted the second round,... look at the spotting scope... nothing, disapponted I shooted the third round,... look at the spotting scope... nothing!!! I shooted the other five rouds allowed and left the firing line. A friend of mine asked about my performance and i told the story.. He took a look at my rifle and said: "Sure you missed the target, your sight is set for 800m !!". When the target came from the pits i saw a nice tight group north of twelve o'clock on mine... end of the story.

However i have two more exciting story to tell: A fellow i know bedded his 270W hunting rifle without using the "relasing agent" and another fellow fired a second round to push out the stuck bullet of the first one. Both of them weren't very happy...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts