Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p...il&utm_term=0_a17d16ad3c-7b10c731be-128234781

Regarding the above carbine by Delton. Here is what I am seeing, basically a 16 in ch pencil barrel version of the XM177E2 carbine we had in VIet Nam but of course this Delton is a flat top and we had carry handle "Car 15's " then. And our butt stock was aluminum and not polymer.

Other than those differences, this Delton appears to be basically as good as the old CAR 15 was and that was good enough at the time ...it was for me.

Now tell me what I am missing beyond select fire and muzzle "compensator".

Additionally if there is a bottom level AR Carbine..market price and capable of filling most civilian needs for rec. firing and home defense, I think $430 Delton might be the lowest you can go and feel its reliable and trustworthy. Just a thought, what do you think ?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
A stock (flat) trigger guard and an A1 pistol grip are the only differences I see, other than the ones you have listed. Also, having a melonite barrel as opposed to a chrome lined one. You mentioned material differences in the buttstock, isn't there also a difference in the number of positions the collapsible stock will go? 2 for the CAR, 6 for the Delton.

Just my comments...from an AR novice, not expert. I own 7 various AR's, but I'm not a fan. They are great for targets and hunting, but if things get serious, I'm grabbing a Kalashnikov.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,652 Posts
https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p...il&utm_term=0_a17d16ad3c-7b10c731be-128234781

Regarding the above carbine by Delton. Here is what I am seeing, basically a 16 in ch pencil barrel version of the XM177E2 carbine we had in VIet Nam but of course this Delton is a flat top and we had carry handle "Car 15's " then. And our butt stock was aluminum and not polymer.

Other than those differences, this Delton appears to be basically as good as the old CAR 15 was and that was good enough at the time ...it was for me.

Additionally if there is a bottom level AR Carbine..market price and capable of filling most civilian needs for rec. firing and home defense, I think $430 Delton might be the lowest you can go and feel its reliable and trustworthy. Just a thought, what do you think ?
The 1-9 barrel is probably a better choice today then the 1-12 twist rates of yesterday (can shoot 55 and 62gr bullets), the melonited barrel is also nice feature on a budget AR, Delton generally makes good stuff on par with PSA although they normally use an AR15 BCG VS a FA model but they also include a H1 buffer (atleast the last few kits I bought from them all did). I'm with you, this might be one of the better buys in a complete AR and probably as low as I'd go for for a trustworthy rifle I'd depend on.

·
Registered
21,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike, I was thinking same thing, if you want to ride a bike, this is your basic Schewinn and it will do the trick. I think Delton offers the common man a Schwinn to ride hard and get great service out of.

Its probably as good of a AR shorty carbine as the CAR 15 was back in my day in Viet Nam. Its eclipsed by the M4 (as is the CAR 15) but I think that Delton is a good buy at $430.

I also thing PSA today is a solid AR manufacturer and they pretty much set the prices for basic AR components and complete weapons. I think (opinion) they are a driving force that caused Ruger to begin selling at $499.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The only real difference between the XM177E2 and that thing is the barrel, the rest is just furniture. The XM had a 11.5" barrel with a moderator or the long flash hider which brought the overall length out to almost 16. Bushmaster used to have a model back about 1990-something that had a 11.5 barrel and a long flash hider bringing the total length to 16". The Del ton is a decent rifle, that one especially !!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,095 Posts
The only real difference between the XM177E2 and that thing is the barrel, the rest is just furniture. The XM had a 11.5" barrel with a moderator or the long flash hider which brought the overall length out to almost 16. Bushmaster used to have a model back about 1990-something that had a 11.5 barrel and a long flash hider bringing the total length to 16". The Del ton is a decent rifle, that one especially !!
SGW and a few others offered the 10.5 or 11.5 with fake moderator.
Some offered a 16" with slip over fake moderator as well..
Back in the day,

Del ton makes good stuff. Buy with confidence

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.