Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1942 Maltby No.4Mk.1 that is wood bubba'd. It has a solid steel butt plate. It has the same profile and dishing of a regular butt plate but with no trap. Any ideas where it came from?

· Platinum Bullet Member
4,628 Posts
Appears to be an early ShtLE MkI buttplate.

edit to add: I'd buy a new buttplate for my No.4...those old steel MkI buttplates aren't exactly being picked up off the ground under Enfield trees any more. ;)

· Premium Member
892 Posts
That butt plate was made specifically for the No. 4, so it is not and early SMLE one. Have one in my parts box, do not know where I got it or who made it. Quite possibly a WW II production exigency. A Canadian collector claimed it was from India, but no documentation or source.

· Registered
1,192 Posts
As ansleyj says, its definitely a No4 item (shape of the top tab) and these do crop up on wartime rifles. I'd agree that its most likely a British production exigency that was never properly recorded. Whereas, for example the Mk2 rearsight had to be officially approved and documented because of its effect on shooting and tactical use, perhaps there were other parts allowed as "buffer stock" to avoid delaying rifle production - clearly a buttplate lacking a trap has no real significant effect on the rifle's use.

· Platinum Bullet Member
4,628 Posts
A new one on me...good to know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.