Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a compliment to my rifle collection, I'm an active buyer of photographs showing Japanese troops carrying or otherwise using rifles and handguns. Below is one of my favorite photos. It shows a young soldier in full gear holding a Japanese T-30 rifle with mounted bayonet. I'm not a uniform expert, so can anyone advise as to the approximate time frame this photo may have been taken?

C/

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Ref: 'Japanese Military Uniforms 1841-1929" by Ritta Nakanishi. Page 39, 1874 uniform, crap, before the T-30. Page 47. dark top, white pants, same cap, illustration 30 "Summer tunnic and trousers model 1904."

Page 51 shows your man in a blue uniform, same pouches (Murata?), suspenders holding pouches, same cap, book notes M1886 uniform, while the uniform was introduced too early for the introducion of the rifle it could have been carried over until the next change. My guess is April 27, 1901, 10:30 AM CDT, about the best I can do.

The book, in Japanese and English, was copyright in 2001. RZM Imports, Inc. was the US Import Agent, 203/264-0774, [email protected].

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Great pic! I hope we haven't been bidding against each other on eBay too often.
Anyone see the photos from Attu that closed last night?

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
The shoes may be the IDing factor, haven't seen anything like them in the book, guess it goes to bed with me tonight, nothing good on TV.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great pic! I hope we haven't been bidding against each other on eBay too often.

Nah, I doubt we've competed against each other. I bought this photo about 10 years ago. The last item I bought that was photo-related was an album around 2001.

C/

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ref: 'Japanese Military Uniforms 1841-1929" by Ritta Nakanishi. Page 39, 1874 uniform, crap, before the T-30. Page 47. dark top, white pants, same cap, illustration 30 "Summer tunnic and trousers model 1904."

Page 51 shows your man in a blue uniform, same pouches (Murata?), suspenders holding pouches, same cap, book notes M1886 uniform, while the uniform was introduced too early for the introducion of the rifle it could have been carried over until the next change. My guess is April 27, 1901, 10:30 AM CDT, about the best I can do.

The book, in Japanese and English, was copyright in 2001. RZM Imports, Inc. was the US Import Agent, 203/264-0774, [email protected].
Interesting and precise time frame estimate. I'll keep an eye out for the book at the Springfield Show this coming weekend.

C/

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Doubt it will be at the show. Ordered it when it first came out and it's the only copy I've ever seen. With my memory I'd have bought a second copy if it had showed up, have been dragging home dups. of books already on my shelves for years

1 - 8 of 8 Posts