Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the Garand I got from SOG is a piece of garbage. I paid the extra dough for handpick and the stock is barely hanging on the damn thing...I feel violated. I will not post pics as this is so embarassing...There is nothing good about the gun. The bore is PITTED TO HELL and seriously...THE FRICKIN' STOCK RATTLES ON THE GUN.

I wasn't expecting a mint Garand, but this is something else entirely.......

Who in the hell does SOG think they are. They run the ad with a gorgeous M1 (don't get me wrong, I knew I wasn't getting something that nice) and they send a trashed rifle. This gun reminds me of a what one pulls from the bargain bin barrel, but it cost $750...

I WILL be getting my money back one way or another. I WILL NOT pay to return it to SOG, if they want it back to screw someone else with, they can pay.

Please don't get screwed like I did, buy from CMP. That is what I will be doing with my money, NOW.

·
Registered
291 Posts
An alternative

If you are looking for a quality shooter that will also look really good you already have the answer. Starting 9/17 the CMP will be taking orders for their newly put together M1 'Special" at not much more than you spent. Not pricey when you consider private enterprises providing the same at twice the price.

Not sure this rifle will have the same collector appeal of been there done that in conflict but it seems that the CMP rifles have their own provenance. Just look at the paper work trail when one is sold - M1Ds for example. People even hold onto the shipping cartons.

I know a lot of people at my shooting club will be ordering these. I am also right on the edge of ordering one myself.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hate to hear that. With all the surplus M1 Carbines from CAI and now the SOG Garands they can't be good. Can't be sure be more than likely they came from South America also.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I heard two places they are coming from---Taiwan and Guatemala. Seems the Taiwanese guns are in better shape, but not by much. Whoever previously owned my gun must have dropped it daily just to see what would happen. Well, what happens is a rattl-ey beater stock...

·
Gold Bullet member
529 Posts
Well, the Garand I got from SOG is a piece of garbage. I paid the extra dough for handpick and the stock is barely hanging on the damn thing...I feel violated. I will not post pics as this is so embarassing...There is nothing good about the gun. The bore is PITTED TO HELL and seriously...THE FRICKIN' STOCK RATTLES ON THE GUN.

I wasn't expecting a mint Garand, but this is something else entirely.......

Who in the hell does SOG think they are. They run the ad with a gorgeous M1 (don't get me wrong, I knew I wasn't getting something that nice) and they send a trashed rifle. This gun reminds me of a what one pulls from the bargain bin barrel, but it cost $750...

I WILL be getting my money back one way or another. I WILL NOT pay to return it to SOG, if they want it back to screw someone else with, they can pay.

Please don't get screwed like I did, buy from CMP. That is what I will be doing with my money, NOW.
Was this one of the recent Century Imports?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Post some picts, please. Like a compare and contrast; one in advert-to-the recieved.
Ive never ordered anything from them, and I'm wondering what a hand pick would get me.

R

·
0 Posts
Post some picts, please. Like a compare and contrast; one in advert-to-the recieved.
Ive never ordered anything from them, and I'm wondering what a hand pick would get me.
Yeah, I'm kinda curious to see its condition.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
A local shop has 3 of these that on the exterior I would rate G-. They are full of grease and I did not look at the bore condition.
He is asking $795 for his...I did not know what the dealer cost was. $750 is crazy for what you describe.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I was thinking of ordering one of these (good thing I read this!). Thanks for the heads up! Can you post some pics?

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
At least Conservatives are'nt dead set on ending ownership of firearms!!!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I would post some pics, but I have already boxed it up. I have never felt any rifle this loose before. The bore looked like a completely corroded sewer pipe (worse than the worst Mosin I have ever owned). Seriously, it looks as if it was shot with corrosive ammo only and NEVER cleaned. There was no hope for this gun. The Guatemalan who dropped it and mis-cared for it can have it back. I'm sure he's probably screwing up a perfectly good AK as we speak, LOL!

I have already sent an email and requested a full refund for the gun from SOG. I will not keep this thing, even for a $300 discount. It would cost at least $150 to replace the stock and I have no idea how much a barrel runs, soooooo...Off she goes back to SOG.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i seen 4 at a shop today not 100% sure there from SOG he ordered me a M44 from them. any way the M1's he got in he was disappointed in the condition of them.the stocks were almost black but were wood. very dirty looking a few others at the shop said they did not like the looks of them. but the M44 he got for me was in excellent condition all matching # along with 2 other ones he ordered.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
The ones I saw had the smaller century billboard style import markings on the barrel mid way between the sight post and wood.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am glad I read these post I was going to get one until i have found out the bores are shot out. I guess i buy a cmp.

·
Registered
264 Posts
A good functional M1 is going to run you around $1000 IMO. That is the reality of it.

I got one of the last CMP RG Dane M1s. It was mislabelled as a Greek RG. First thing I noticed was that the barrel was completely shot out and the stock looked like firewood. But you get what you pay for and I accept that. The rest was fully functional.

So I purchased a refurbished SA stock for it. It is now in the hands of Gus Norcross (M14 guy) and am getting a new barrel put on by him.

Total cost to get a tight shooting M1 for me at least will be around $800.
($400 RG CMP, $100 Stock, $200-$300 for rebarrel job including barrel)

For anyone contemplating getting one of these, don't give up on it. Any Garand is well worth saving and the parts are still out there.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
when i got the SOG flier i just laughed,,750.00 yeh right i knew they would be crap..what about the 700.00 pattern 14 enfeilds for 700.00 that shoot 303, i will stick to No.4s for 89,00

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sorry to hear that you got SOGed, RiG! :( ... you are not the only one.

Kim

1 - 20 of 78 Posts