Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in another thread that a local shop had several of these Garands from SOG in stock last week.
After the shop owner checked head space/erosion and that technical stuff he found the barrels to be wore out and sent these units back to SOG. He will not be buying any more.

I have not heard one single good thing about these rifles. I think they would be better served selling these for parts/parts kits for about $300 each.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
watch i bet they tear them down and sell them as kits and the recivers sold sepratly...by the way they get them allready in the boxes from century , they just repull of the shelf and ship they do not really look at the guns

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
"they just repull of the shelf and ship they do not really look at the guns"

Yep, which they do with all the guns they acquire from others & peddle as a middle man. Kalashnikovs or Kelvinators, don't matter to SOG. After this debacle maybe the nogs at SOG will start looking in the boxes for a change ........... Nah, probably not.

·
Registered
490 Posts
SOG strikes again..

Sorry to hear you're getting the short end from these guys. I won't do business with these guys anymore.

·
Gold Bullet member
335 Posts
watch i bet they tear them down and sell them as kits and the recivers sold sepratly...by the way they get them allready in the boxes from century , they just repull of the shelf and ship they do not really look at the guns
Thanks for the information.
So, those extra dollars for hand-picked is....a joke. hmmm. I suppose I've been forturnate in the few rifles that I bought from SOG in the past.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,793 Posts
I saw two in a local gun store and they were bad.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,350 Posts
All S(orry)O(ld)G(uns) knows how to handpick is their nose.
They handpick the gun off a pile vs having a machine pick the gun off the pile.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
All S(orry)O(ld)G(uns) knows how to handpick is their nose.
They handpick the gun off a pile vs having a machine pick the gun off the pile.
I have gotten some decent rifles from them in the past but I am glad not to have bought
any of this lot of Garands. "Handpicked" can mean NRA "poor to fair" when most in lot
are NRA "poor" condition.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I believe the grading is also done at CAI and so marked on the box. I could be wrong, but the "misgraded" stuff is likely all Century products. If SOG were to open boxes and handpick, then they wouldn't be able to sell at below Century's advertised (wholesale) prices (they're making money on their volume discount). For what it's worth, SOG's return policy and customer service have worked for me when I've had to return items that weren't as advertised.

I haven't seen CAI's Garands and have no affiliation with either CAI or SOG.

·
Registered
393 Posts
but why put the customer through the hassle of having to go through the return when all they have to do is accurately describe the product they are selling

as far as im concerned the fact that they may or may not be getting them from CAI has no bearing what so ever ,and most certainly is not a viable excuse for shipping that trash as anything other than a junk parts rifle

someone who buys one isnt dealing with who ever SOG got them from,their purchasing from SOG so the burden of accurate desciption lays on SOG's lap,and their deceiving descriptions/grading is so wrong on many levels

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I agree with your comment, and that's probably the reason a lot of guys choose not to do business with them. But the misgrading goes both ways; I've gotten Excellent stuff from both SOG and CAI that was advertised as Good (and quite a few of us have gotten CAI "cracked stocks" that weren't). I see your point and understand the frustration if you know nothing about SOG but most of what I've gotten through them has been great; return rate being 1/8, maybe 1/10 (higher on certain models, of course, I had to return some four No5MKIs before getting a truly nice one...at $159, IIRC).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice enough...

I live down the road from them and have always been able to take them back to the counter where - on occasion - I have had them pull a box/carton/crate and let me go through them for what I wanted. That can make for a very trying day if what you're looking is say Lugers and you see everything from Black Widows to guns with the regmnt/unit markings. But they don't seem to pay much attention to handpick I will admit. They're decent enough folks who I don't think are trying to rip anyone off insomauch as they are always willing to make good..just too much volume to do a good job handpiccking and I get the feeling that they don't always know what to look for.

·
Registered
945 Posts
just too much volume to do a good job handpiccking

OK, let's all agree that their volume is to daggone high to do any "handpicking".

Then, why in the name of all that's righteous, do they even offer to do it for an extra fee...?

If they can't do it, then why even to offer to do it, especially at an extra charge?

It's out-and-out "SOGOMY" of the unwitting buyers, pure and simple. Until their management philosophy changes, do not expect anything better.

Waiting for the ownership to change... -Bean

·
Registered
202 Posts
hmm... So far I've only had positive experiences with SOG. Sounds like only a matter of time until I get screwed over... I guess I'll just stick to ordering relativly low priced items from them in the future. At least they have good customer service.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Being the largest distributor for CAI, they could
also be called the "stepchild" of same or worse !
No dealer or distributor could be as mismanaged
as Century. Having their "paper factory" in Fl and
their warehouses and "rework" (as in CETME) plant
in Vt was a stroke of sheer madness. Can only guess
the owner got tired of Vt winters.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Judging from the complaints I've heard over the years, SOG comes in just a notch or two below "Hunter's Lodge" in Tenn.:eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts