Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
As to the bayonet having gold paint on it. You can find US Civil War items.. ie...swords or other items with gold paint or bearing traces of. It was common for Vets to paint such things at the time. This bayonet "could" be such an item.

I do believe that some of these M1849 bayonets found their way over here during our Civil War. As the US and Confederate governments had purchased Austrian muskets for their armies.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
As Panzer says, large quantities of the Austrian M1849 rifles were purchased by both sides in our Civil War- mostly by the Feds. Interestingly, after the war these rifles were available to the public at a time of a great surge of people moving westward. I read an article some years ago that related the rifles were available for $2.50, but for $3.50 the buyer also got the bayonet, sling, and cartridge box.
The bayonet was not much needed by a west-bound 'pioneer' but I have one in my collection that was converted to a scythe by having the lock ring removed and the blade forged to a swept shape by some local blacksmith.
This was found in a small antique shop in Colorado; I have no doubt it made it's way out here and was then converted into an agricultural tool ...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought bayonet and a couple british holsters at a coin shop for a wopping 55.00 was happy to get the holsters bayonet was a bonus .
Many thanks for the information again greatly appreciated

Tom

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Yes it should be austrian model for Jaeger Rifle Augustin (chamber rifle )M1849, Haubajonett M1849, overall lenght 718mm, socket lenght 109mm, blade lenght 609mm, MRD 23,6mm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.