Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month, I had an opertunity to go rafting down the Grand Canyon. It was an incredible trip!! In adition to my leatherman that I carried on my belt I carried a little kit in my pocket. I packed an aluminum soap dish (I polished the inside with brasso so it could be used as a singnal mirror) with the following items.

-25' of 12lb test fishing line
-20' of garden wire (about .015 dia)
- 2 1/32 oz jig headed hooks
- 4 bullion cubes
- 2 Ricola cough drops (regualar not sugar free)
-10 "Strike Anywere" matches that I had dipped in parrafan to make water proof
- 2 "Magnum" condoms.
- 2 of the Cogan's brand fire starters (about the size of an ear plug)
- 1 tiny tube of super glue

I taped it up with about 3' of 1" thick duct tape, I put in a in a heavy duty pastic and vacum sealed it to make it water proof
I ended up giving it at a FLight Surgeon in the British Army. I would appear that Doctor's in the Brith Army dont get any survial training and she was greatfull for it
Now, I have to make up another one, any hints or suggestions??

·
Registered
154 Posts
How much room did you have left? I'd suggest a ziplock bag (useful as a "canteen"), and maybe a couple of fish hooks and weights. Other ideas, a P38 can opener, small knife (or single edge razorblades), possibly a small compass. Not knowing exactly how you see it being used, another direction might be needed for the contents...such as maybe some more medical type stuff (neosporin and such), etc...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Condoms in survival kits are usually used as water carriers, if you are worried they might puncture ,put it in a sock to protect it. But using a magnum condom might on the other hand be just bragging. In this case where you made a survival kit for a specific purpose( rafting down the GRAND CANYON) I think your choices were good, water purification tablets might have been a good addition , you could cook in the aluminum soap dish but boiling enough water to survive at 1/2 cup each time might have been hard to do. Maybe more fish hooks and line,might have been good, you are on a river.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
8,652 Posts
What about first aide ? (snake bites ect.)?
The only effective first aid for snake bite (venomous) is to keep the victim from exerting himself/herself as much as possible and get to a hospital. I just sat through a presentation by an ER doctor and snake venom expert recently, and most all first aid steps formerly considered effective (suction via mouth, Cutter kit, Sawyer Extractor; tourniquet; wrapping of affected limb; ice), have been shown to be at best ineffective and in many cases counterproductive. If you can't reach medical help, disinfecting the bite area is of some use.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
i bought a passle of the little skoal-type cans from Centerfire systems several years ago. What I managed to get into the can:
1 fishing line 20' with artificial bait and small sinker attached
several matches (can't remember the count)
1 sf of aluminum foil folded carefully into a tiny square (sink, cook plate or signalling)
1 blister of anti-biotic cream (used generic anti biotic cream and made my own blister from plastic wrap)
1 blister benadryl cream
2 tylenol caplets
2 benadryl caplets
2 Needles/thread
1 razor blade
2 large safety pins
small length of steel wire (for snares)
cotton ball (tender)
I wrapped each one with 1/4" wide strips of duct tape. (2 strips x 2' long)

In another I replaced the razor blade with a very small swiss style knife.

I'm going right off the top of my head...i was thinking there about 25 items total in the little can. I saved my list somewhere...if I can find it I'll update this list.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would add a high decibel flat whistle, these can be heard for a very long distance. If you get lost or injured being found quickly is the most important thing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Survival kit

I see many saying things like, "add this", or "why not add that", etc. Lets face it, noone can think of every "what-if" scenario and be prepared for it, lest you want your survial kit to be as large as a carry-on suitcase! I doubt that would be very practical. I think any forethought to a survival kit, be it whatever is to be commended, not criticized. How many times do we hear stories of people being caught in the wilds, only to wind up worm food because they didn't think ahead. Again, you can't think of every scenario, but if you can think and be prepared for something, thats surely better than being stranded with only your hammer in your hand!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I see many saying things like, "add this", or "why not add that", etc. Lets face it, noone can think of every "what-if" scenario and be prepared for it, lest you want your survial kit to be as large as a carry-on suitcase! I doubt that would be very practical. I think any forethought to a survival kit, be it whatever is to be commended, not criticized. How many times do we hear stories of people being caught in the wilds, only to wind up worm food because they didn't think ahead. Again, you can't think of every scenario, but if you can think and be prepared for something, thats surely better than being stranded with only your hammer in your hand!!!!
When a person asks for suggestions, as the creator of this thread did, it is not criticizing when one helps with those suggestions. We are all here to learn and grow from information and suggestions given by other forum members, it is the basis for forums of this type.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts