Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just navigated my way to this board and thought I'd stay a while........:D

I just inherited these rifles from my old man, and am curious as to what I can find out about them. I know that one is a Yugo 1924, and one is a 98. Short of that, I know nothing else about them. I can snap any kind of picture you'd like, so just let me know if anything will help. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
The model 1924 is thhe more valuable of the two (the model 98 being chopped stock) I see a royal cartouche on the butt that makes it made before 1934. If you want to provide you serial number (X the last 3 digits if you like) I can tell you what year.

If matched and decent bore, it can well exceed $400+.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Very nice! Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The model 1924 is thhe more valuable of the two (the model 98 being chopped stock) I see a royal cartouche on the butt that makes it made before 1934. If you want to provide you serial number (X the last 3 digits if you like) I can tell you what year.

If matched and decent bore, it can well exceed $400+.
Is the serial the 1482 that is stamped all over the rifle?

I've deciphered the codes on the 98k to have been from 1944, and just a hodge podge of subcontracted parts. The Yugo has 1482 stamped on the receiver, bolt handle, stock, safety(just 82), rear sight(just 82), and the floorplate.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Is the serial the 1482 that is stamped all over the rifle?
I suspect so.:rolleyes: Is it preceded by a letter A?
Is there something like APT.TEX3ABO[] KPATYJEAIL over KPAIbEBNHA CXC on the siderail???
If so, I'd say your value just went up a bit. That serial number, with those side rail markings would put it in the first 1,60 made at Ktagujevac from Oct. 1928 thu Dec. 1929. Pretty rare I'd say though how much it might bring up the value I couldn't say.
At this point some pics would be real nice. :)

·
Gold Bullet member
4,429 Posts
Depending on the maker (three lowercase letters behind the rear sight) and features of the rifle, your K98k could be worth a surprising amount even in current chopped state.

I bought a similarly cut K98 rifle about six months ago that turned out to be a pretty rare version, and I made a lot of money reselling it.

If you just want to restore it, though, spare parts are quite common and replacement stocks are being produced.

Good inheritance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suspect so.:rolleyes: Is it preceded by a letter A?
Is there something like APT.TEX3ABO[] KPATYJEAIL over KPAIbEBNHA CXC on the siderail???
If so, I'd say your value just went up a bit. That serial number, with those side rail markings would put it in the first 1,60 made at Ktagujevac from Oct. 1928 thu Dec. 1929. Pretty rare I'd say though how much it might bring up the value I couldn't say.
At this point some pics would be real nice. :)
I'll snap some more pics for you guys when I get home. But off the top of my head, KPAIbEBNHA CXC is on the side rail. I figured the serial was 1482, but since my 98 has crap stamped all over it, I thought I would check...................;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Manufacturer of the 98k is Gustloff Werke, Weimar, according to the code(BCD 4).

Here is the Yugo.

·
Registered
658 Posts
After reviewing those last pictures, it's clear that it is a piece of junk. I'd be glad to take it off your hands for $50 to cover your packing and shipping costs :p Seriously, those are two very nice rifles, and definitely something to be proud of!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After reviewing those last pictures, it's clear that it is a piece of junk. I'd be glad to take it off your hands for $50 to cover your packing and shipping costs :p Seriously, those are two very nice rifles, and definitely something to be proud of!
Thank you. I'd like to refinish the Yugo, and display it somewhere I think. The 98 I think I'd like to rebuild, mostly custom. So does the Yugo belong in this forum and the 98 in the other?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
"All military Mauser topics are welcome as this forum covers a lot of ground." That's from the official forum description. Your Yugo Mauser belongs right here. :)

As for refinishing, I wouldn't even do that unless it's really trashed. A refinished stock can slash $$$ off the value of a collectible firearm.

What is the finish btw? A lot of these early original Yugos sport a nice shellac finish. By "nice" I mean carefully applied, not slopped on like the Russian refurb jobs. It seems that this is actually the correct original finish. Best guess is that oil finish was applied later. Oil is the finish used on all later Yugos.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I second Northernug about not refinishing it - yours does not need it. Do only minimal cleaning to remove the rust and dirt - no sanding or anything that takes off the wood or metal finish.

If your K98k is a bring-back, is matching, and has not been drilled, it could rival the Yugo in value when restored. Your Yugo M24 is the scarcer gun, but many more people are interested in bring-back K98k's, even if not totally original.

If you have your heart set to do a custom sporter job, you should find a cheap, common Turkish Mauser to do it. Many of them were originally German made, so the quality is good but with much less historic and collector value.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts