Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bid on a CZ SP01 Phantom at an online auction a couple of weeks ago. The description said "SP01 Phantom pistol, 18-round magazine, 98%". THe auction pics were not wonderful so I kept the bids down and much to my surprise, I won.

Went over to my FFL Thursday night to pick it up and saw the CZ box and thought, "Oh good, they found the original box". As the pictures show that was not all :grin:.I found the second mag in unopened package, the cleaning goodies, manual, a clean warranty card, and the pistol in the bag covered in the light shipping oil they use. 98% my ass, it's more like NIB. Oh well.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
Sounds great. Always a gamble on those auction sites anyway. Glad you came out on top.
Bought a Lyman D-7 scale off evilbay years ago that was advertised as comeplete. When I got it, no instructions, no big deal on that part, but no beam lifter was in the box. Posted negative feedback about the seller. He posted back that I was a cry baby. Later changed his user name.
Another time bought a bayonet for my K98 that was matching to the year. When received, the blade had been filed. It would easily fit the bayonet lug but had a burr somewhere and you had to tap it lightly with a hammer to remove it. Contacted the guy and he at least sent me back $10.
It's always a crap shoot to me to buy from these auction sites.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have decided that except for the one or two big distributors that use GB I am done buying from individuals online.

I can't say I've been "burned" but recently got a Ruger GP-100 that had been fired much, much more than I was led to believe and also got another stainless Ruger GP-100 and a S&W 64-7, both advertised as "like new, carried by security guards and hardly fired" with stock photos on the auction of a nice revolver. What I received were two heavily holster buffed and fired more than a little revolvers, that had the burn rings hastily scoured off the cylinder face. The Rugers were pictured with the wood insert Lett grips but the one I received had a beat up set of Hogues on it........well, the Lett grips are like a $40 price difference! When I contacted the dealer they said they were reaching the "bottom of the barrel" on them and the best were sold first so I got the bottom feeders. Wow, nice excuse! Send someone a beater and say "oh sorry all the nicer one's have sold"

For me, it's more fun to buy at gun shows and shops, the thrill of finding it in person and having it in hand right away, is much greater than the point and click, wait to receive and hope to not get burned!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know I got VERY lucky with this buy. I have bought other guns off the internet with oddly mixed results. I have bought guns where the stock is better than the pictures suggested, but the bore has turned out to be a bit ropy, and vice versa. Other guns have come to me at prices that I cannot understand as the piece is clearly in fine shape but nobody else bids. Such is life with auctions, internet or otherwise.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The seller probably used 98% to play it safe. With some buyer God forbid if the gun was listed as 100% and the buyer finds anything even inside the gun not 100% I actually hate to use % grading because my 95% might be John Doe's 90% or 98%. It's looks like you got a nice one for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts