Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I see all these interesting auctions for various little tidbits of parts here and there in Europe advertised on ebay, I mean, its hard to look away when someone has a mess of vintage sniper scopes or zf41 mount, or such like that in a mess of parts, but I wonder, ya know, some of these auctions are for parts that are really up there like a grand or more($1000 or more money), I mean, I hear of folks getting a scope here and there from Europe, but I wonder if there is a problem or a supposed restriction or worry of getting gun parts from Europe "LEGALLY", at least in the $500 or more range, ya know. I mean, I think there could be problems for the usual parts, like barrels, for instance, maybe high capacity magazines, ya always wonder about customs, I mean, I had a $80 dug relic gun part shipped to me once from Latvia, and what a waste of money, not even good as a paper weight cause it rust stained my important papers.
But I generally look the other way on foreign auctions, I don't want to maybe break a law or have anything confiscated by customs or such. I mean, have any of you seen the inert ww2 german mines being sold out of Latvia, I mean, good gosh, I can't imagine what could happen if that shows up in a x ray or a knock on a door of "what was this about?", ha. How to people have the nerve to buy such?

I do know one thing, I have read on the internet over the years folks say that you can't have anything from Europe without becoming a importer or such, or having to have the government involved in saying you can import an vintage scope/etc, and I find those statements as bunk, considering all the folks I see talking about there vintage scopes and never mentioning they got an import permit to buy something off ebay.

I mean, when I think about it, I remember years ago I bought $400 in enfield No.4 mark 1 parts from Canada on ebay, stuff arrived past customs in bout three days air mail, no problems.

·
Silver Bullet Member
802 Posts
With the situation in the Ukraine, I have held off doing any business there but I have done some in Bulgaria and China. I checked feedbacks first and received great communication, registered signature required packages in about 7 business days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I do know that all foreign mail has to be "signed for", figured that out when I couldn't get to the door on time for the mail lady and have to go into town for foreign mail I have received, little things like two e-books about sniper ww1 and ww2 german used sniper equipment for ten bucks apiece from the seller on ebay. I had bought a low cost vintage scope mount off ebay from Bosnia Herzegovina, and even then it was a nail biter for a commercial steel scope mount setup made by zrak, even though not a high dollar item. But none of that stuff was old gun parts or military gun parts and not a lot of money.

·
Silver Bullet Member
802 Posts
No all foreign mail has to be signed for but these sellers were reputable enough to do so. I'm looking at a Zrak scope as we speak but it's in Canada. At least with Paypal you have some recourse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Platinum Bullet Member
58,907 Posts
I have sold to Italy and a few other countries, and bought parts from a member here in Spain,

no issues, not a bit of drama, just do as recommended and look at feedback and any reputation on the boards,

I have heard of some fake mounts coming out of eastern Europe (think it may have been a thread on gunboards,,, cant remember)

so buyer beware

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course, my main concern is buying "legally", like not having things confiscated by customs or breaking some sort of law, I mean, I see folks buying a lot of stuff off ebay all the time for a lot of times big big bucks, and they seem to be able to do it, or maybe are getting lucky.

·
Gold Bullet Member
701 Posts
before ebay went anti gun i used to buy complete barreld mauser actions minus bolts with nothing more that a money order and they got sent US Priorty mail and never seen a ffl....
also.. a "Demilled " receiver acording to european laws isn't cut at all.. they demill the lowers.....
10 yrs ago fully intact thompson receivers were able to slide in through the mail...

·
Registered
456 Posts
There are two things to consider, at least, for legality. What is allowed, legally, to be exported from their country. Also, what is allowed to be imported, legally, here. Like ul4evr said, different countries have different ideas about what a firearm is, and when it stops being a firearm. Therewas a guy in Russia selling a PPSH frame on ebay. Here, once a automatic....

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Oh yeah, I mean, common sense goes a long way, the usual things we know we aint supposed to have. What gave me these concerns lately was a group of super auctions out of Germany, so many rare scopes, some "sniper" so called even though they were likely sporting, various scope mounts, etc, I bid on five items to save on shipping, all sporting goods, and next thing ya know ebay cancelled the auctions. When they got relisted, they were all listed as not sniper goods but "can be used for sniper rifles". I mean, vintage 50's to 80's banner scope mounts that aren't sniper stuff but have been known to be put on Bosnian m48 snipers, ya know. Its like suddenly maybe bringing in "sniper" stuff might be illegal, especially if there was $1500 of vintage old obsolete goodies. Then there seemed to be the high amount, I mean, I got to wondering if that was a problem, so next time around I only bid on several items and let the other things get away. I mean, maybe there is a monetary limit now for goods brought in.

One thing that really bugs me are dug relic parts, I mean, some of ya have seen them, where some of that stuff seems re-useable, I find it interesting the balls some folks have in winning some of those items, even rusted out or badly corroded dug receivers, seems like folks getting away with that, which really bugs me considering there have been three separate auctions for so called sniper scopes and mounts and such cancelled that I have been a bidder on, sometimes not the high bidder, like 1930's to 1960's claw mount scopes and mounts are like verboten or its because the auction topped over a grand and then the aucitons get slammed by ebay, all from overseas. Its actually cost me big money cause two times seller relisted with higher buy it nows, and a seller told me he had to put a buy it now cause ebay had slammed his auctions twice in a row.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Dug items (relics). I have a No1Mk3 dug up on the Somme. Barrel bent, no wood, and heavily rusted (pitted) A friend in the U.K. popped it in the mail years ago and it arrived no problem. I think it still has one in the chamber, but there is NO WAY that bolt will ever open!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts