Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.auctionarms.com/Closed/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=8249455.0

So I hemmed, hawed, and hemmed some more over whether or not to buy this. I've been wanting to get a Dreyse for quite a while. It seemed like the Model 41's or the Model 62's never showed up in decent shape (if at all) like they are found over in Germany. I saw this carbine two weeks ago and spent the entire time justifying it. This is the most I've ever spent on a firearm and I think now that I have this, my gun buying days are done for a long time. I know it's no steal but that's the price to pay for having the larger availability of firearms on the internet.

The fact that it's a little more rare than the normal Dreyse helped seal the deal.
According to this site:

http://www.waffensammler-kuratorium.de/zngewehr1873/bazngew1873ti.html

The carbine is one of 500 made by Spangenburg & Sauer Suhl and delivered to Baden for use by the Gendarmie. Can't wait to fire it. Should make for a fun project.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Whoa,they gave their police what? when?

WOW! They gave their Police needle guns when our Sheriff's were getting Colt Peacemakers and lever action Winchesters or even Spencers???? 1873? I've heard of outdated, but WOW! That's positively obsolete! And they still had needle guns in 1889, after the Lebel and the Commission rifle!

I hope they didn't need them much, they probably were great, and worked great. I just didn't expect to see new needle guns being made or refurbed that late, perhaps 1871 mausers, but not needle guns!

·
Registered
342 Posts
i think you do it well. It is a nice rifle and not common here in Germany..

if seen only 1-2 in the last 10 years to sell...

Baden "bought" these rifles before the Franco-Prussian war starts, so the production starts first after the war ends. Now Baden don't want the rifle anymore (they want now metal-cartrige-rifles), but Spangenberg (maker of the rifles) keep the contract alive. The Prussian War Ministry arranged an agreement... Baden takes the rifles, and Spangenberg gave an allowance....

BTW the German army (expect Bavarian, Werder Pistol and Saxonian S&W like revolver) used till 1879 only single shoot percussion pistols... the Prussian one with smooth bore......

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Germans weren't fightin' Injuns on the frontier.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
Oof, that's a lotta money. But damn neat and nice shape.

And as for the police, in a relatively civilized and affluent area with a homogenous and settled population, how much firepower do you really need? Like FGD said, no injuns, no train-robbing bandits, no claim-jumpers or homestead-raiders...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Oof, that's a lotta money."

Same thing I thought. That's why it took me two weeks to decide. In the end I figured it's a)rare, b)the one rifle I've always wanted, and c)I'd probably never have this chance again. But then again guys are paying $2000 and up for new Shiloh Sharps, G-43's, or SVT-38's etc.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You did well. Great rifle. Took me five years to find a Dreyse in any condition. When I did it was a beauty. An excellent condition Dreyse under $3K here in the US...I would say grab it. The fact that yours is excellent and rare...agian you did well.

Congrats
RP

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You stole it. When you get tired of it, please let me know...
I was hoping you might chime in Wapruf2. That's good to know. Do you know of any other sources of information for the Dreyse system and the '73 carbine in particular? I know about Das Zundnadelgewehr by Wirtgen, but it seems to be out of print and I don't know any German besides a few basic words.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
1,707 Posts
If you have no German you are in a lot of trouble when it comes to needleguns since the majority of work on them is in that language. The best English language discussion of the type is in Walter, THE GERMAN RIFLE. As far as German texts are concerned, Wirtgen is a good place to begin; you can still find it thru German o.p. book dealers - try www.zvab.com. Vollmer's series published by DWJ is also very good, but for a 1-vol. reference you can't beat Wirtgen.

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,234 Posts
Yes, the price was a little painful now, but they ain't makin' any more of 'em! ;) It's an exceptional rifle & the price matters little as long as you enjoy it. SW

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I'll be taking a crash course in German! Or using babelfish a lot. Ha!

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
1,707 Posts
You should learn German if you are going to collect 19th Century or earlier German materiel since there is little in English on it. Also collect early German/English dictionaries and German encyclopedias and German (only) dictionaries. Note that measurement and weight systems varied among the German states prior to 1871. Spelling and useage change over time; be aware that German ordnance terminology is not known by your average German instructor unless you are extraordinarily lucky.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ah, but now I read German......and a fascinating read it is! Thanks for the link! And nice rifle. Do you have any plans to make a new needle and try firing it?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I plan on getting some music wire for a needle, but I need to have a new brass holder made for the needle. From what I've gleaned off the two needle rifle websites I've been looking at, the holder fits into the rear of the striker. Not to mention I need to figure out a way to make sabots and get a mold made.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Beautiful find. :) Good luck on making cartridges, more work than I care for!
By the way I would pm you but it says you donṫ accept them. The coin is a Marine Ordnancemanś Santa Barbara, patron saint of Ordnancemen, cannoneers, fusiliers, etc. Off topic, but I am sure that a few who carried a Dreyse also wore a Santa Barbara medal!
Dennis

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've yet to figure out how to configure it so I can accept PM's from everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts