Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked this past weeked if Japanese snipers had patches like the Germans, i. e., circles around the edge to denote the number of kills (his description?). My answer was I didn't think so, shoulder patches were rare in the Japanese Army, a sniper normally stayed in the combat area where he was assigned until killed, and "sicked " him on Vic Soto. (Vic, he has your address/email/phone #, you'll be hearing from him if you have not already.) Was I correct in no shoulder patches?

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,625 Posts
Doss, as you know I have collected Sniper rifles for some 40+ years, and have asked this question many times "patches, pins, whatever," for the Japanese sniper. Pretty much universal "No." There are some Crossed Rifle Pins (I'll post some pictures tonight) that are passed off as Sniper pins, however most agree they are Marksman level pins, not Sniper. I would imagine, like most snipers, they did not want to be captured in the field with a sniper patch or pin. Although, most Japanese soldiers would fight to the death anyway. Hmmm...not sure if I have helped or not - Skid

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DIE FOR THE EMPEROR, NEVER LOOK BACK, KILL TEN OF THE ENEMY BEFORE THEY KILL YOU, WHEN YOU BOARD THAT TROOP SHIP YOU ARE AS GOOD AS DEAD, etc.

Who needs a bloody patch or pin when you expect to be shot out of the top of a palm?
Yep, you confirmed my thoughts on the subject. But speaking of thoughts, I need to get with Okiedokee and find the Kanji for "sniper" A crossed-rifle patch over-stamped with "sniper" in Japanese, one black ring for 10 kills, two for 20, etc, and look out ebay, here we come.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts