Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On another thread i began a list of the sniper rifles I'm aware of that are currently or recently issued to the military or police of the world.
This is certainly not beginning to be complete or held out as anything but casual fun, so don't beat me up if I left off your favorite.
It might be fun to see how many of these you have ever seen or to look them up on he internet. Additions welcome!

Here's a beginning list of what the world seems to think are "sniper" rifles. We might call the less accurate ones "designated marksman rifles" to fit modern squad tactics, but if they are speciallized rifles equipped with optics for a skilled trained shooter to take out chosen targets at fairly long range, they are "snipers" to me.

Worth mention is the Russian "super round" caled the 14.5X114mm, but I'm not sure what the long range rifle they built is called.

1) M24 Remington and M24 "overhaul" XM2010, plus earlier Remington 700 variants such as US Marine M40 - US
2) Barrett M107A1 and earlier models such as M82A1 -US and UK
3) M21 Sniper (Accurized M14) -US
4) Garand M1C and M1D -US
5) Parker Hale Model 82 -UK
7) Mauser 86SR-Germany
8) Sako TRG-21/41- Finland
9) SIG-Sauer SSG2000 -Switzerland
10) Steyr SSG69
11) RAI Model 500 Longe Range Rifle -US
12) FN-30-11- Belgium
13) L96A1- Accuracy International PM -UK
14) Stehr-Mannlicher SSG-PI--Austria
15) SVD Dragunov and later variations -Russia
16) H&K scoped MSG90 -Germany
17) L1A1 (FN FAL) scoped -Belgium
18) Galil Sniper -Israel
19) Accuracy International AW -UK
20) SIG SSG550 Sniper Rifle - Switzerland
21) FR-F2 -France
22) AS50 Semi-Auto Rifle -UK
23) C7A1- Canada
24) VAIME SSR Mk 1 -Finland
25) H&K G-3561
26) H&K PSG-1 and G3 variation -Germany
27) McMillan C15 Longe Range Sniper Weapon (LSRW) - built for Canada
28) McMillan TAC-338
29) Accuracy International L96 -UK
30) Blaser Tactical 2
32) Noreen ULR
33) Nighthawk Precision Rifle
34) Savage Law Enforcement
35) Sako Tactical
36) Sig Sauer Sig50
37) Sig 3000
38) Stehr HS
39) Steyr ssg 04, 08 and 69
40) Zastava .50 "Black Arrow"
41) Winchester Model 70
42) Sig Sauer 716
43) TKIV-85 -Finland
44) PSL -Romania
45) SV-98 -Russian Federation
46) Zastava M76
47) Tabuk -Iraq
49) Al Kadiesh - Iraq
50) PGM Hecate -France and Switzerland
51) HK G28 (modified MR308) -Germany
52) HK417 "DMR" - France

This is not a complete list by any means and rifles may have many variations and names from country to country.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 10 and 14 are not the same rifle if you consider the PI, used by the Austrian army and the Saudi Armed Forces, and the PII (or even the P IV) used by police forces around the world.

The HK 417 with 20" barrel is used as "DMR" by the French Army.
The HK G28 (modified MR308) will be or is used by the German Army, also as "DMR".
The PGM Hecate II is used by the French Army as long range sniper, and also by the Swiss army.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought 10 and 14 were different variants -I'll try to look further. I'm familiar with the PII as used by police.
I added the others.

This is a pretty ragged and casual collection, but getting more interesting as I look up more of these I have never seen.

Wait until I start the "Anti-material rifle" list for the big stuff -a few made this list, but only when I know they are used as true snipers, like the Barretts.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 10 and 14 are not the same rifle if you consider the PI, used by the Austrian army and the Saudi Armed Forces, and the PII (or even the P IV) used by police forces around the world.

The HK 417 with 20" barrel is used as "DMR" by the French Army.
The HK G28 (modified MR308) will be or is used by the German Army, also as "DMR".
The PGM Hecate II is used by the French Army as long range sniper, and also by the Swiss army.

·
Registered
680 Posts
14 (P1) is one of the variants of 10 (SSG-69). There's also the P2 and P4 (IV) that I know of.

If you want to get into the possible variants of each sniper rifle, your list will go on forever.

You don't give a timeframe that you're interested in, but there's a whole bunch of WW1 and WW2 era snipers not on your list (G98, K98's, 1903's, Enfields (303 & 308), Swedish mausers, Argentine 1909s, Russian Mosins (PE, PEM), Finnish mosins, Japanese... Arisakas

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm trying rather casually to make a list of more or less contemporary rifles that might currently be in use by major armies or police.
I started with ones I knew and dragged in some I didn't know, just as a rainy day excuse to think about sniper rifles, but I don't know if such a list exists elsewhere on the web. It would be interesting to add pictures and descriptions for real identification, plus links to reviews, bit that takes more time than I have!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The L42 is still in limited reserve.

·
Registered
333 Posts
China: FY-JS in 5.8mm, and AMR-2 in 12.7mm, one comes with 3-9 scope, the 50 cal one comes with 6-24 scope, i think.
not sure the JS in 7.62x54 is field by the army or not, but since it use the same round as type 85 sniper and fill a gap between the 5.8mm and 12.7mm, i think it will replace the type85.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.