Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pics from the recent conflict. Note the old and new versions of the SVD, as well as the Western sniper rifles used by the Georgians. The silenced snipers are cool looking - would love to read a good shooting report on them.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Talk about a Mosaic of cammo.........

Second frame , Top left ,guy shooting the SVD is wearing German "splinter" it looks like

Third frame, top row, third pict with two guys shooting teh Rem 700 and wearing a black headset seems to be in 'Mossyoak"

Third frame, top left picture, Coupla gus in Brittish cammo, and the PKM guy is wearing German "Fall Oakleaf"

And plenty of other American&Soviet cammo, alot of digitals, but those three really put "Pizzaz" into the world of combat cammo

Any one here can tell me what the modern designation of that Fall Oakleaf cammo?Any manufacturers known? I sure want a set!!!!
Cant beat German "Flec" to dissapear in the Tundra with, and Fall Oak looks like it would do quite well, too.

·
Banned
3,553 Posts
Is it just me or are the Russians a Rag Tag crew????......doesn't look like much cohesiveness to me.....but I bet they are still darn good soilders.....Nice Guns!!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The silenced rifles are the VSS Vintorez in 9x39mm. An interesting rifle that got a lot of attention during the Georgian crisis last year.

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn20-e.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10t5s7ViyO4&feature=related
The VSS Vintorez is in use in the Russian army since the late 1980's, it was adopted for and extensively used in Afghanistan and since in Chechnya, it's available at squad level, together with the Dragunov, it means for mounted infantry like on the pictures shown here, there is one of each on each APC, a very versatile and effective combination.

The Vintorez has a 300M range to be compared with the 50 to 75M of the silenced MP5 SD, the 300 Whisper was created to provide similar service & range on a M16 system but its use by SF is very scarce.

kelt

·
Registered
232 Posts
Talk about a Mosaic of cammo.........

Third frame, top left picture, Coupla gus in Brittish cammo, and the PKM guy is wearing German "Fall Oakleaf"

And plenty of other American&Soviet cammo, alot of digitals, but those three really put "Pizzaz" into the world of combat cammo

Any one here can tell me what the modern designation of that Fall Oakleaf cammo?Any manufacturers known? I sure want a set!!!!
Cant beat German "Flec" to dissapear in the Tundra with, and Fall Oak looks like it would do quite well, too.
The Oakleaf type is commonly called Partizan and manufactured by SPOSN.
DPM varient is called Smog and produced by Splav.

Some of the Digital in these pics seem to be of the New Russian Yeger pattern which is thought to be designed after the Finnish pattern.

Frontline Russian combat units have of late been notorious for either finding sponsers for new Uniforms or buying (capturing) their own. In barraks they can regularly be seen all in regular Flora but as soon as mobilized or in operation it becames a big hodgepog of whatever works. It does not seem that uniform standards are much adheared to by front units.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yeah, with all those different camo patterns it's no wonder there wasn't more friendly fire incidents (or maybe there was?)

I saw a lot of pictures of captured Georgian soldiers and was wondering if anyone knew whatever happened to them? Were they released at the end of the conflict, still being held, or did they just "disappear" if you get what I mean?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Interesting photos and thank you for posting them.

I agree they are a bit "rag tag looking."

·
Registered
490 Posts
I think the problem with all the different Russian camo is due to all the different units that were probably involved in the operation. I am currently reading a book about the Chechnya wars and the author described all the different Russian units that took part in the battles, and how there was huge amounts of blue on blue incidents due to different uniforms, incompatable radios and such. What a mess!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Cool Picts!

Hello all. Thanks Tom-M for the photos. Those are some really great shots of uniforms and weapons. I have to agree with the others about the mixing of uniforms. How can you tell "who's who?" I really like the pict of the guys with the M4 and the Remington 700. I wish it was a little more clear to make out the pattern of camo. Anyone know what type it might be? Thanks again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah, with all those different camo patterns it's no wonder there wasn't more friendly fire incidents (or maybe there was?)

I saw a lot of pictures of captured Georgian soldiers and was wondering if anyone knew whatever happened to them? Were they released at the end of the conflict, still being held, or did they just "disappear" if you get what I mean?
I was wondering the same thing. I have a feeling that they're fertilizer in some field, or working in reopened Siberian mines, for life.:eek:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I could post photos but I don't think Vic would appreciate them. War is ugly and the photos I have of the dead Georgians are definately not pretty.

I'll just post a photo of a young wounded Russian instead and also a sniper photo from the conflict that wasn't posted

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think the problem with all the different Russian camo is due to all the different units that were probably involved in the operation. I am currently reading a book about the Chechnya wars and the author described all the different Russian units that took part in the battles, and how there was huge amounts of blue on blue incidents due to different uniforms, incompatable radios and such. What a mess!
There was not much of any Blue on Blue issues in Georgia that where reported.

Chechyna (pre 2000) was different. The Chechen's themselves were wearing Russian uniforms and identified themselves lightly. They also excelled at getting Russian units to either crossfire on each other or just out right duke it out. Russian units learned this and how to counter it.

Different units have started to be identified by the Uniforms or variety of by the Georgian intervention. Choice of camo has in many ways been to ID friend from foe as the standard does not do that. Some VDV units in Chechnya where actually buying surplus Swiss alpenflage for the fact it made them distinctive.

Post 2, pics 2 through 3 is a good example. I'd bet money those are 45 independant VDV troops. The majority of Fleckar-d uniforms is a dead give away. They have seemed to have picked up some goodies along the way though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.