Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, who can give me some info. What binoculars, ie. the magnification, were used by U.S. snipers during W.W.II?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
Sniper and binoculars

I thnk about 6X was used by all sides. Occasionally higher power, but then holding steady was a problem...:)

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
By the way, they did use some 7X50's, but usually anything stronger required a support of some type...:)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
We had 7X50's in 68/67

That had 1944 and 1945 build dates on them. So they where only limited buy what they wanted to carry.

I still have one set of 7X50's the fell in my duffel bag. I should take few pictures for the kids.

I never saw any 6X30's in two years in the RVN. I'm sure they must have been around in any case.

Cheers
MJ

·
Registered
641 Posts
Don't know about sniper's bino's. But the U.S.Navy solicited the general public for bino's. They were wanting Zeiss and B&L in either 6X30 or 7X50. I have a pair of binocular's made by Zeiss in 6X30 that have U.S.Navy BU.SHIPS, No. 5245-1942 and the name Mr. Burton E. Henry. If the Navy was asking for binocular's, the Army may have been also.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
There are not many photos of US sniper teams with binoculars in WWII. When it came to sniping tactics and equipment the US was probably one of the worst participants in WWII. Most first hand accounts from WWII talk of sniper rifles just handed out (hopefully to someone who was a first class narksman). Some of the receivers had never fired a rifle with a scope attached. Of those lucky enough to actually receive training - most basically got marksmanship training. I have heard next to no accounts of actual US sniping teams operating in europe- shooter and spotter. The Marines probably had it closest to right, but the terrain they were used in was generally wrong.
That being said; I would be willing to bet most US Army snipers that did'nt ditch their 1903A4 for an M1 Garand - probably picked up a pair of German binoculars (6x30).

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
Sniper and Binocular question.

Name a Liberal Pro-gun politician.....John Dingel (SP) of Michigan, but probaby darn few others...;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts