Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need the firing pin and all other associated parts for a Snider Enfield.

I recently purchased one that is missing all of the firing parts inside of the block.

Everything else is good.

Any info or ideas?

I prefer a Martini to a gin and tonic.

I will take my whiskey sours over a Martini.

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
Just a hint. the firing pin retaining nut is simply a bored out nipple for the muzzle loader it was converted from
The pin itself is a simple machining job.
If you can find another snider for a pattern and someone with a lathe it would be no problem. Same with the firing pin spring.

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
Gents,

This is the Martini board, not the British Muzzle loading rifle forum. Say Martini in your post and you can stay. If not I am going send you to the British Pub...

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gents,

This is the Martini board, not the British Muzzle loading rifle forum. Say Martini in your post and you can stay. If not I am going send you to the British Pub...
Mission accomplished.

Did I win the coveted brown star award?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a hint. the firing pin retaining nut is simply a bored out nipple for the muzzle loader it was converted from
The pin itself is a simple machining job.
If you can find another snider for a pattern and someone with a lathe it would be no problem. Same with the firing pin spring.
Thanks John.

I have the nipple intact.

I just need the spring and firing pin.

How is the spring and pin retained in the block?

I am trying to visualize how this goes together.

Thank you gentlemen for putting up with my warped sence of humor.

I like Martini rifles too and have a heavy barrel 45/70 Martini project that I will complete after this one with a little luck.

I thought I had all of my Martini receiver needs met back on the old boards when I purchased one on the trader from a new poster.

I received a poorly made Afghan fake, so I will continue looking for another project receiver.

Odd enough I have all of the other parts on hand.

·
Registered
532 Posts
.... I am trying to visualize how this goes together .....
If you are just wondering about incorporation of the "piston" (firing pin/striker) and "piston spring" into the breechblock, hopefully this will help .... Note that the nipple retains the piston and spring in place ...

Now go and mix yourself a Martini ...

·
Registered
532 Posts
ret_marine2003:

The piston/striker would be a pretty basic machining job I should think ... and I'm sure that a suitable coilspring would be obtainable from spring suppliers. As long as the spring is strong enough to perform its primary function of keeping the striker tip retracted, I don't imagine that exact strength/tension is a crtitical factor.

If you wish, I can take measurements of the piston/striker and spring from one of my Sniders - let me know what Mark your rifle is (i.e. I, II or III) just in case there is a significant difference in the dimensions. My guess is that only the MkIII is likely to differ in any material respect ...

Are you enjoying your Martini?

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
Grant! Say Martini!

The warehouse hardware stores---Home Depot-Lowes usally have a section with springs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts