Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just won an auction on a 91/30 that looks like a Finn with the exception of [SA] or D stamps. Also no drain hole forward of magazine, that would be a first for me. Every Finnish Mosin I own has this hole, I assume it is for drainage. Anyway I think I did good and will enjoy owning it regardless of the pedigree. I've bought from this seller before and his rifles are always better than described. What do yall think.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=79913097

·
Gold Bullet member
11,316 Posts
Hmmm... maybe

Might be Finn-capture, but hard to tell. Seems like the CAI imports with the letter-prefix translation above the original prefix is a mark of later, non-Finn'd rifles, but that's just my guess.

Looks like the rear band is an early (dragoon?) band. Either way, for the price, it's a fine buy.

Congrats.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I see nothing about the rifle that indicates "Finnish" except for possibly the look of the stock. It is very nice older refurbed piece for the price. It has an original "solid" Dragoon rear band and a "PM" stamping. The "drain hole" that you are referring to is actually an access hole drilled to facilitate the removal of the cleaning rod nut. Congrats. DDR

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
Nice rifle Cajun. Nice price.

I agree, the stock does seem to have a finish that resembles some of my finn capture 91/30's.

I've bought from Vladimir as well, and he is a great seller. I doubt there will be any rude surprises with this rifle.

T

·
Registered
675 Posts
The seller sure does a good job with the posting of pictures. I wish they all would take the time to do that. If they would put forth the effort their sales might even go up.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I learned something new today. Just why would the finns want to remove the Russian cleaning rod retaining nuts anyway. This will be my first Soviet re-build without wacky shellacky .I'm digging that.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
Well, I learned something new today. Just why would the finns want to remove the Russian cleaning rod retaining nuts anyway. This will be my first Soviet re-build without wacky shellacky .I'm digging that.
The hole is just to make it easier to remove the cleaning rod nut if there's ever a need to. If you've ever bought a rifle with no cleaning rod and tried to install one, only to find that the nut is packed full of several decades worth of crap, you understand why it's nice to have an easy way to remove them.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,572 Posts
Hard to go wrong at that price. Vladimir is a nice fellow from St Petersburg, Russia. I just got a gun from him. Seems to me that he is trying to be another jack the dog.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice score either way. Its intersting in that it looks like the rear sight is not pinned like typical soviet refurbs, at least it isn't obvious in the pics.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Nice looking rifle and at good price to boot. mike Radford is correct about Vladimir(Vagg4) being a nice guy I bought my Jungle Carbine from him a couple of years ago and recently bought an Arisaka type 99 from him.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Another way you can take the cleaning rod nut out is taking the screw from the nosecap and screwing it down into the threaded portion of the cleaning rod nut and lift it out.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The ZHS and prefix on sn of W(looks like) are of interest to me, as well as the stamping on the top of the tang. I only have one other with any kind of a stamp on top of the tang. When I get it I'll post more detailed pictures of the tang, thats the only area Vladimer did not cover with great detail.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Rifle

"Another way you can take the cleaning rod nut out is taking the screw from the nosecap and screwing it down into the threaded portion of the cleaning rod nut and lift it out."

Hmmm, sounds good in theory =+) I have a few 91-30's that have a cleaning rod nut really stuck - will not come out of the stock with the humble strength I can muster.....so I leave them be - The nut is crammed full of muck over the decades =+)

Pahtu.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts