Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we are from all over the nation, and the situation of local gov't is just that, local. I'm curious; how's the fiscal situation in the state and local gov't of the nearest community you live in?

Is the state budget in the red?

Is your local/city/county in the red?

If so, and you know, would you post it, please.

Please, lets not turn this into a political rant so it doesn't get locked or moved.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll start.

New Mexico has a $600+ million budget deficit for 2010.

Albuquerque is running a $60+ million budget deficit for the same year.

It doesn't look too good for next year, either.

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts

·
Banned
5,986 Posts

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Check your private e-mail. Just between you and I.

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Not a big fan of private side conversations about ongoing public discusions.. besides I have no private messages from you to read.. can't imagine anything that can't be discussed in public about any of the current threads. my replys would probably be public anyway.

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Not a big fan of private side conversations about ongoing public discusions.. besides I have no private messages from you to read.. can't imagine anything that can't be discussed in public about any of the current threads. my replys would probably be public anyway.
Sorry Ammo Sgt. it was meant for Unbekannt.

No hard feelings on that last thread AS. We may disagree, but I still respect your positions and insights.

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
No problem

·
Administrator
17,980 Posts
Broward County schools will be getting rid of 300 more teachers soon. They're starting with asking music, art and PE teachers to work half days, and of course, to give up half their pay. This doesn't look good at all.

In Miami-Dade County, the public health trust at Jackson Memorial Hospital is in serious financial straits and has furloughed over 1000 non-medical personnel and will be working on medical staff next, even after a 50 million dollar gift from the state. Jackson is THE primary public hospital in Miami-Dade and includes a trauma center, and burn center, and is also a teaching hospital in partnership with the University of Miami.

While we're on the subject of state and local conditions, don't forget to add your state's emergency management website(s) to the sticky.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,713 Posts
Iowa is pretty much screwed. Not as bad as say CA, but getting there. On the bright side, Our tax and spend Gov. Chet Culver will be signing a bill Thursday that changes Iowa from a "may issue" state to a "shall issue" state.

To late to save your career, Chet. You've spent us into oblivion.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
yeah, we have not seen the end of this recession.....and they keep claiming the economy is climbing out. I don't believe we've started a turn around until THE BLEEDING STOPS. Kansas is no different then all of you. And we have, I think, a solid 500 million shortfall....and they too are cutting from education.......

When will this end?

I noticed our glorious leader is supposedly laying EVERYTHING on the table to cutt from......

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Maryland is supposed to be 600 Million - 1 Billion in the red (likely much more in reality), however, due to budget gimmickry,shuffling money, and Federal stimulus funds used to fund everyday operations, they've kicked the can down the road another year, at least budget wise. The problem is, their just about out of road... BeSwift

·
Registered
475 Posts
As of last week, California was facing a $26.3 billion shortfall this year...maybe $40 billion next. In spite of having the 6th highest tax burden in the country (Source) we are essentially broke.

The Assembly keeps right on spending money like it's 2006, while our Big 3 sources of revenue (income taxes, sales tax and property tax) have all been declining.

My local town seems to be doing okay, but just down the freeway Vallejo declared chapter 9.

We live in interesting times. ;^)

·
Registered
255 Posts
We're holding our own here in the less than 600,000, maybe a little more than 500,000 people state. Everyone's pretty much in the black. We can have all the guns we want with no restrictions. I shoot to 500 yards + on a regular basis. Lotsa trout, elk, deer, antelope, ducks, geese, moose, prolly more horses here than people.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,713 Posts
We're holding our own here in the less than 600,000, maybe a little more than 500,000 people state. Everyone's pretty much in the black. We can have all the guns we want with no restrictions. I shoot to 500 yards + on a regular basis. Lotsa trout, elk, deer, antelope, ducks, geese, moose, prolly more horses here than people.
Where in WY are ya at? I got family in Lander. Girlfriend's Uncle is the mayor of Hulett, it's a pretty tiny town.

·
Registered
475 Posts
...prolly more horses here than people.
IIRC you pass on the meat dishes, but do you know if is it legal to hunt and eat wild horses?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts