Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With assistance from a good friend I tried a new snap shooting format for the upcoming El Alamein shoot. Testing in 2007 using 22" yellow/black army snap discs at 300 yards had proved a little too challanging to see (and hit) for modern competitors!

The target chosen is the 30" x 18" duelling target so a six o'clock hold gives almost identical point of impact compared to our 33" round aiming mark.

Used random exposure anywhere along the butts, series of five rounds were shot at 4 and 5 second exposures and the last two shots (remainder of the box) were at 6 second exposures. The four second group was under 12” diameter but low on the target since shots had to be snapped off as soon as the target came onto aim. The five second group was a little larger at 12” and also low. The shots taken at 6 seconds, using the extra time to aim much more carefully, got two hits closer to the centre and less than 6” apart.

The photo shows the test groups. The five white patches show the four second group, the five black patches show the five second group and the unpatched holes are the two six second exposures. The two dummy rounds show the centre of each five round group.

The army shooting was always based on six second exposures and this snap format will be used at this years El Alamein event, to be shot in squads as part of the teams score. See you there

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Cruisey,
I can't take any credit for that excellent article, the chaps at Lang Lang deserve all the plaudits for putting on such a great shoot and getting the article out there. All the .303 events at Lang Lang are well worth attending

·
Gold Bulllet Member
712 Posts
I should make an effort to get down there mate, silly handgun requirements are taking a big chunk out of my shooting time ATM, as well as foxes vs lambs vs .222 last 8 weeks or so :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found a copy of the British army snap shooting target. It is hard to see since the bottom half is earth (ochre) coloured. The black "tin hat" section (22" across the base) is not much bigger than an actual tin hat.

I haven't seen for certain how this target is presented but believe it is raised up while facing. It would be quite a hard target if it lifted edge on and then turned to face like a duelling pistol target (and then turned to edge again).

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
From the picture it looks like the tinhat target is mounted on a stick. If so, it would have been held by someone in the butts; they would lift it vertically upwards and into view on command. On the command to pull it down, it would be turned edge on and then lowered.

That is what we did with the modern equivalent in the 70's and 80's. Given the dimensions I would guess that it was used at 200 yards, it looks a bit small for 300 yards.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
And to think some of them likely lads are still doing it in the 2020’s that’s way way cool.
Cheer’s All.

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
Yup I've shot on them that way.
They were attached to a 1X2 with 2 screws or nails. The target holder was down behind the protective berm as described. Because they weren't attached to the target frame they could appear in slightly different positions depending on how the presenter angled the wood so each shot had to be re-aimed.

If the shooter hit the cardboard or wood no harm no foul, it just made your hand tingle for a few seconds. But if they "hit the nail on the head" it was a lot more interesting. Smart holders wore gloves because the wood handles could leave pretty huge splinters in you.

A standard drill was 2 rounds (warming & fouling, 10 rounds "grouping" (smallest group anywhere on the target), 10 rounds "application" (for score, you tried to put each round in the "X", correcting for variables), & the 10 rounds snap. This neatly consumed a 32 round box of ammo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts