Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Caught this guy sneaking around my back yard. I thought about making dinner out of him but they are so good at killing rattlers I didn't. They do taste good, better than diamond backs. And they do bite but can barely break the skin.

If I was starving and in the bush he woulda been dinner for sure. You can eat pretty much any snake, venomous or not.

He wasn't doing his duty as far as catching pack rats getting under my deck so I tossed him back over the wall.

Back when I was a youngster we used to pin down rattlers and grab them by the back of the head. Huge rush. But now I'm smarter than I used to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have never eaten any kind of snake but, my Dad has eaten fried rattlers while in the service. He said it was some good eating.

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
I was given a can of Oriental soup by a buddy from there. it was labelled in Japanese, which I don't read. It was "7 snake soup" & it was delicious!
I've also hat rattler Chili in Texas & it was good too.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, that was a King snake BTW. Immune from rattler snake venom.

I've had Diamondback many times. More as a kid when I was always running around in the desert.

Caught a huge Diamondback a couple years ago hiding under my trash can lid. I went to lift up the garbage can and my spidey sense alerted me to be careful. Sure nuf he was about a 6 footer and thick. Got him in the garbage can with a hook on the end of a paint stick. Boy was he pissed.
I drove him about a block away and let him go because at that time the pack rats were coming in like Lemmings.

Not sure about snake soup plonker. I'd have to smell it first. Sounds slimy. hehehe

Here's a shot of rattlers having an orgy. Not some place you want to trip into.

Attachments

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
7,807 Posts
Arizona blacks, blacktails and DB's where I am. Mojave's too but I've yet to see one. I did have some sidewinders out on Park Link Rd between 79 and 10 in the spring. Here's a couple lines I breed for fun and profit. High red coast garter from wild caught individuals in San Mateo and Santa Cruz counties, blue and green phase Baron's racers native to Argentina, Bolivia and Paraguay. Oh and I have desert kings that look just like your eastern.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
Lots of Blacksnakes here.
They won't do you much harm, but they can bite & they're mean & territorial. The latest "news" is they're short rear fanged & low toxicity venom, (so the invenomation is frequently mistaken for a bite infection)!
We have 2 living in the rubble bullet traps between the double walls at our firing point "hut" (no blue sky).
They have no ears so gunshots don't bother them but they HATE sulfur fumes from B/P guns.
It so bad (Imagine having a pair running fire hoses dropped on you from above) that I fire a B/P "blank" as I enter if its empty.

My (c)opyright
E&OE

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Most snake here in Oz will give you a wide berth if possible, except for the Tiger snake who does't need any encouragement to have a go.

·
7,807 Posts
Lots of Blacksnakes here.
They won't do you much harm, but they can bite & they're mean & territorial. The latest "news" is they're short rear fanged & low toxicity venom, (so the invenomation is frequently mistaken for a bite infection)!
We have 2 living in the rubble bullet traps between the double walls at our firing point "hut" (no blue sky).
They have no ears so gunshots don't bother them but they HATE sulfur fumes from B/P guns.
It so bad (Imagine having a pair running fire hoses dropped on you from above) that I fire a B/P "blank" as I enter if its empty.

My (c)opyright
E&OE
Ashamed to admit it but I'm not sure on the ID. There's at least 5 different species of snake in the US which can be all black - six if you count the coachwhips in some parts of the southwest. Doesn't look like a black pine or black racer and definitly not an Eastern Indigo so I guess I'd have to go with black rat although I can find no reference to those being rear fanged.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Taste Like Chicken

·
Platinum Bullet Member
47,564 Posts
Ashamed to admit it but I'm not sure on the ID. There's at least 5 different species of snake in the US which can be all black - six if you count the coachwhips in some parts of the southwest. Doesn't look like a black pine or black racer and definitly not an Eastern Indigo so I guess I'd have to go with black rat although I can find no reference to those being rear fanged.
I am by no means and expert and don't keep up with the latest news fang related,

however I have seen snakes like Plonkers all my life,
both here in RVA and surrounding counties, and a couple hrs south on the farm my grandparents ran,

most in this immediate area look similar to what Estaban has in his hand, but bigger, but I did see one that same color (as plonker posted) patrolling in my garden a few years ago as I rode by on the lawnmower, ,

he was long, didn't stop to measure but guessing close to 5'

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Caught this guy sneaking around my back yard. I thought about making dinner out of his but they are so good at killing rattlers I didn't. They do taste good, better than diamond backs. And they do bite but can barely break the skin.

If I was starving and in the bush he woulda been dinner for sure. You can eat pretty much any snake, venomous or not.

He wasn't doing his duty as far as catching pack rats getting under my deck so I tossed him back over the wall.

Back when I was a youngster we used to pin down rattlers and grab them by the back of the head. Huge rush. But now I'm smarter than I used to be.
Way cool, nice picture!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Way cool, nice picture!
Thanks. I catch them all the time. They are constrictors and squeeze their prey, including rattlers.

@ Petrov, that blue snake looks amazing. Seen some racers south of me near the Mexican border.

I almost stepped on a Mojave once. The quails outside the wall were making a ruckus so I went out to see what the heck the problem was. So I was standing next to some prickly pear, looked down and there was a small Mojave. Damned near jumped out of my skin. We are on the border of sonora, the Chihuahuan and mojave deserts.

Got to be aware of that viper like triangular head as far as poisonous one go. Then there's the coral snake - Red touches yellow, kills a fellow, Small heads.

Also my favorite poisonous lizard, the Gila monster with the blue forked tongue.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Snakes!

We moved to San Antonio from Michigan in late 2015. We built a new house in the last to be developed section of the neighborhood.

The first snake I saw was a photo of an approximate 7' Texas King Snake that my neighbor killed in his yard. A darn shame since they are not the problem the others present.

We have rattlers, copperheads, in some wetland areas probably moccasins, and coral snakes. There have been three different videos posted on our neighborhood's FB page; all of them videotaped in people's backyards. My wife spends the better part of her day gardening in our back yard; I am constantly preaching to her about checking around a plant before she reaches in...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We moved to San Antonio from Michigan in late 2015. We built a new house in the last to be developed section of the neighborhood.

The first snake I saw was a photo of an approximate 7' Texas King Snake that my neighbor killed in his yard. A darn shame since they are not the problem the others present.

We have rattlers, copperheads, in some wetland areas probably moccasins, and coral snakes. There have been three different videos posted on our neighborhood's FB page; all of them videotaped in people's backyards. My wife spends the better part of her day gardening in our back yard; I am constantly preaching to her about checking around a plant before she reaches in...
I have a pair of king snakes here and have not seen a rattler since they moved in. Moccasins are like really bad snakes. They don't rattle to warn you do they? Glad they are not over here.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
When a neighbour up the back was building, a brown snake took up residence under the bath and couldn't be coaxed out- he boxed it in, so if someone renovates they will get a surprise.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ive been close enough to pet bears or bobcats never bothered me put alittle garter snake In front of me and I'll probably scream like a girl I'm a sissy when it comes to snakes

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not many snakes here, I think we would run a mile, mind you The German war cemetary of WW1, WW2 is Cannock Chase in Staffordshire, It's full of are only poisinous snakes, The Adder, I don't think lethal to man, did we choose that location on purpose, I don't think so.

·
7,807 Posts
I saw Moccasins on a trip to Georgia to canoe through the Okefenokee (something I recommend everyone do once in their life - it's otherworldly in there). Moccasins not only have potent venom (unlike copperheads which they may be confused with at times) but they're ugly and have attitudes.
Saw the trans-pecos copperhead in Comstock, Texas in the 90's. Lots of them out that summer. Beautiful snake. Our group of collectors took a few back to CA. Those were the days. Southwest would let you take anything on the plane as long as there was plenty of duct tape on it.

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
They're just referred to as "blacksnakes" here. aka "Eastern Ratsnake". The rear fangs & mild venom is supposedly a "new" discovery.

My (c)opyright
E&OE

1 - 20 of 54 Posts