Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member and the Revered Sir Jim
48,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. -- Little Ellie Dipatre has had quite the week. At Nocatee Community Park, while playing with her friends, her Mardi Gras necklace fell into a bush. She bent down to get it and boom!

"I went to grab it and I put my hand down and it bit my finger," she said.

Doctors say "it" was a pygmy rattlesnake very similar to the one you see in the picture. She was bit in the ankle, then again on the finger.

Two separate, distinct fang marks indicated she was bit by two separate snakes.

"Never once thought we'd run into a snake out here," mom Stephanie Dipatre said.

Ellie's mom said when she saw friends running towards her, she knew something was wrong. She left her son's football game, and sprang into action.

"We called 911 immediately, and they got her to Baptist South, started putting the anti-venom in her and transferred to Wolfson," she continued.

The 8-year-old, Ellie, stayed in the hospital for four days. Her entire right side swelled up and she felt very weak. Doctors say if she hadn't been seen so quickly, she may have had her finger amputated.

"It didn't hurt right away, but then it started hurting really bad," she said.

Ellie must undergo physical therapy and have several more blood tests done. To help her cope, her mom bought her Steve, a stuffed snake.

She says he'll have to do, because she's never going near the real thing again.

"Scared of them," Ellie said.

Pygmy rattlesnakes are typically found in the southeastern U.S

·
Diamond Bullet Member and the Revered Sir Jim
48,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woodsrunner, she must have taken the seminar taught by my second wife. Ugh.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,907 Posts
Oh I know about snake bites and don't even want to think about going there! This thread develops and just maybe I'll tell a snake story or two!

Did I tell you I HATE SNAKES!!!!.....Indiana ain't got nothin on me!

Warmest regards, story to follow.

JPS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.