Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
A 1920 date? Very, very nice...it would look nice on my 1931 Ishapore.
Send it on over and I'll give you a cookie.
SOG has/had them---so I bought two, both '41s.
-----krinko

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL - I got it to go on my 34, actually :)

SOG has/had uncut RFI bayos? Hmm... I didn't know that :( I definitely overpaid for this one, $81 plus ship. But then, how often do you see 1920 dated RFI uncut P1907 bayos for sale?

·
Gold Bullet member
896 Posts
SOG has been out of stock for quite awhile. $81.00 isn't cheap, but it is fair. You did not pay too much. Australian P-07s, much more common, average around $100.00.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hmmm...Needed a 1907 for my SSA 1918 rifle. Smoky Mountain Knifeworks had 1907's with scabbards. Ordered myself two and received a Enfield 1915, and a Remington 1915. Both in decent shape and good scabbards.

False advertising by Smoky Mountain! They said they were rough with broken handles and rotten scabbards. Not so, they were just fine. Especialy thrilled to get a Remington.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
"Australian P-07s, much more common, average around $100.00."

Holy Frijoles, Cisco!
I got a '44 Lithgow in an effing perfect Mangrovite'43 at the January MVAC show in Kansas City---paid $75 and told myself: "You need it for the 1944 rifle. Don't worry, maybe someday the price will catch up with you.".

Seven months from $75 and they're at a C-note???
Who do I sue about the whiplash?
-----krinko

·
2,700 Posts
Been watching P'07 prices for a while, looking at getting a couple more. They were around the A$175 (US$150) here. Still pulling well over the 200 for nice earlier ones- eg '20's and '30's, but the WW2 dated OA models are back around the $120 area. I suppose the price difference between here and the US/ Canada is because of the numbers of units exported a while back and the local demand. I've actually imported two, one from the UK and one from the US cheaper than local prices. I think any decent example for under a hundred is a good buy.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, in honesty, this is the most I have ever paid for a non-hooked quillion P1907, but it's only the second uncut Ishapore P1907 I've ever had a chance to buy.

Australian P1907's are often in the $60-80 range here at gunshows, and I consider uncut Ishapore P1907's to be much rarer.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Uncut RFI's suddenly appeared after a long drought. I snagged a '41 and more recently a '21. Now would be the time to grab one or two as the Vickers bayonets appeared and disappeared the same way. I grabbed two of those BTW.

FWIW, I've seen more hooked quillons and Vickers bayonets for sale than I have Moles. Only have one of those. For some reason they seem to have either suffered a higher rate of attrition, or somebody is sitting on a stockpile waiting for the market to ripen.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Are there any uncut RFI's at retail? I had to snag this one off the bay.
Not that I'm aware of. The '21 was misidentified on auction and described as having an inoperable catch. Not the case as all it took was Hoppes and Kroil to remove the petrified crud covering a rather nicely finished bayonet underneath. Pay very close attention to those photos and descriptions. I got it for my opening bid.

The '41 I picked up at a show from a pistol dealer who simply wanted the India bayonet (*uhgggg, how revolting!* ;) ) off her table.

Suffice it to say I paid and left the area before I could be arrested for theft. :)

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
This is the only long '07 RFI I've ever come across - deep bluing, unsharpened blade and early production ( March 1914).

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not that I'm aware of. The '21 was misidentified on auction and described as having an inoperable catch. Not the case as all it took was Hoppes and Kroil to remove the petrified crud covering a rather nicely finished bayonet underneath. Pay very close attention to those photos and descriptions. I got it for my opening bid.

The '41 I picked up at a show from a pistol dealer who simply wanted the India bayonet (*uhgggg, how revolting!* ;) ) off her table.

Suffice it to say I paid and left the area before I could be arrested for theft. :)
LOL - I think I bid on that one against you! About a month or so ago, right? I was going to go much higher, but forgot to go up my bid.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Claven, there were a couple of other bidders so perhaps one was you.

With that one, I simply tossed in a bid for what I felt it worth to me and let it ride. I forgot to check back! Monday after the auction had closed I noticed the email saying 'pay up'. LOL

That 1914 is a beaut! Thankfully someone discovered a cache of these RFI's someplace where they were cared for outside Indian jurisdiction. No chop saw, no grinder, and no black paint. Unlike the Dari marked blades which surfaced in Afghanistan, these still have a nice finish.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You might want to check with any Iraqi war veterans you might know, uncut P-07 bayo,s were being bought on the roadside for as little as $15.00 and brought home as souvenirs. I was there in 03-04 and seen that myself, saw pictures of soldiers loading up thousands of SMLES and 4,s into shipping baskets----what a shame. The history of the british military in that country is expansive, even seen old rusted webleys in unit display cases that were described as Iraqi, so close and I couldnt get my hands on any of it.

·
Banned
67 Posts
I handled a 1916-dated SMLE that was going back to be put on display in an Air Force unit museum. It was in reasonably good shape, considering. That was in 2006, in Qatar. I offered to take the piece of worthless junk off their hands, but it didn't work. They wouldn't let me keep the M16A1 (GUU-5) carbine that I carried, either, and I even offered to PAY for it!

I did stumble across a (free) US M1917 bayonet and scabbard last week - Vietnam-era, unfortunately. Everything except the handle and crossguard in VG condition - those parts had been let rust up badly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts