Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the quality of the attached pics, they were taken at the Warminster weapons Collection a good few years ago when a 1 megapixel digital camera was the dogs danglers.

Hope you like them.

Cheers,
Simon.

·
Banned
904 Posts
battle damaged SMLEs

Yes, and the one on the right hand end looks like it may have been fired with an obstruction in the barrel...maybe after the muzzle had been pushed into the mud. And that first one on the left...maybe a grenade exploded in the cup.....

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Two things I note though,#5 had a catastophic detonation in the chamber,judging from the outward expansion of the metal(not from"incoming")and her bolt still held it's position,as it should,and in #6,if you look carefully,you can still see the shard of wood(?) plugging the muzzle. Heh heh,before I elarged the photos,I was under the impression that they were ALL of the same rifle! Talk about your "bloody hell"! I would have deserted after that day......

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
Have one that came from the Somme. Those are in great condition compared to it.
No wood, and the barrel is bent at about a 45 degree angle. (still one up the spout), but if it hasn't gone off since 1916...........
No1Mk1

·
Gold Bullet member
11,323 Posts
John, I've noticed you have mentioned items retrieved from the Somme before. Any chance we could be treated to a pictorial display of your Somme/battlefield finds?

TIA.

·
Gold Bullet member
542 Posts
The Somme :confused: didnt the germans dig in and the british think they had destroyed them with artillery ,the germans came out of bunkers sfter the bombardment??.

I find WW 1 an uncomfortable part of history :( .

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
John, I've noticed you have mentioned items retrieved from the Somme before. Any chance we could be treated to a pictorial display of your Somme/battlefield finds?

What I did mention was that rifle. the only other battlefield pickup that I own is the remains of a 577-450 round from Isandlwana.

In any case, I am Kumpewter challenged. I NEVER learned how to post pics. I bought a digital cameral two years ago and never learned how to use it.
However I can identify every part in a SMLE or a 45-70 Springfield from muzzle to butt trap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts