Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this may be a dumb question but you have to understand that I am very green when it comes to Enfields. SMLE means: short magazine Lee Enfield correct? Is there a long magazine Enfield? I guess the question is- why is there a need for a for a distinction of "short magazine"? I do not want to start another Cordite war either.

· Platinum Bullet Member
4,628 Posts
There is an "MLE", and it's longer. The "Short" refers to the rifle, nothing to do with the magazine. The short rifle was designed to provide a common rifle replacing both the long rifle for infantry use and carbine for mounted and other special uses.

· Registered
579 Posts
It comes

from the british military habit of cataloging items. Thus a 9'x9' tent becomes shelter, canvas 9'x9'.
A Norwegian army shirt becomes, shirt, man's, cold weather.
A short rifle with a magazine, following the Lee Enfield pattern becomes, Rifle, short, magazine, Lee Enfield.

· Registered
1,192 Posts
To understand the background, the British Army had only recently moved on from single-shot rifles - the Martini-Henry. The word "magazine" was therefore used to differentiate two different rifles in service at the same time:

Rifle (Martini-Henry)

Rifle, Magazine, Lee-Metford (hence MLM Mk1, and then MLE Mk1 for the Lee-Enfield)

When the "short rifle" was adopted in 1907, it appeared in the stores system alongside the Long Lee Enfield, which was still on general issue - hence the two rifles again had to be described separately:

Rifle, Magazine, Lee-Enfield (MLE)

Rifle, Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield (hence SMLE or Smellie)

The British Army has always used stores terminology designed to assist indexing, in the form "Item, description, description, use", viz:

"Paper, toilet, abrasive, soldiers"

"Paper, toilet, soft, officers"

etc....

· Registered
1,347 Posts
I recently listened to an audio book on XM Sonic Theatre, a Sherlock Holmes story written in the style of the originals but not of Sir Authur's hand. In this story, a character surmises that the rifle used in a sniping incident was probably an Enfield, the older style with the "long magazine". Gave me a chuckle. Best wishes. Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.