Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am finally restoring an old project of mine, an SMLE No 4 Mk 1, savage i believe marked US Property, and have finally got the rest of the small parts and a new buttstock (mine had a large piece splintered off and filled). What i am wondering is what type of finishs anyone restoring one has used and how they have worked out. Think the original was Suncorite or black enamel.
Also any sources on a wood stock for my Ishapore 308.
Thank you for any advice you may give

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
just being slightly picky. No.4s are not SMLEs. If it is marked US Property then it will be from the Stevens-Savage plant.

I'm not an expert on North American production but you will find umpteen posts on this forum about their finish.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Savages had a sort of thin grey phosphate finish out of the factory. Thats why many of them now have a pitted bare metal finish...

If the Savage went through a British FTR in 1948-55, then it would now be wearing beech furniture and a black Suncorite finish.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If you want to attempt to duplicate the black "stoving" enamel of the FTR process, send me a PM. I came up with a "trick".

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Thunderbox any ideas on howe to remove the Suncorite?
If its been put on properly by being baked, then as far as I know there is no way to remove it apart from grinding/polishing it off with an abrasive.

Often civilian owners have used old surplus suncorite and have not baked it, and that can sometimes be removed my methylated spirits and wire wool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts