Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first Enfield i ever bought is a 1906 Con'd II* that is sadly sporterized forward of the inner band. Its also missing the bolthead charger guide, but is otherwise complete. Even though it will never be cost effective, i want to restore it to its 1906 configuration at some point. I thought about having SMLE wood inletted onto the cut forend. I know this would be pretty weak structurally, but its DP marked anyway and won't be fired. I recently found rossriflerestoration.com makes reproduction Ross, Long Lee, and SMLE stocks and it occurred to me to get a repro long Lee stock and have it cut down, as the original was, and refitting the volley sights, etc. I have a repro top handguard, nosecap and outer band. I guess i'm looking for opinions from the experts on proceeding, and if anyone has used the above stockmaker Given that SMLE I forends are pretty much unobtainium, suggestions are appreciated.

Dennis in Nashville

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have purchased a Mk III* fore-end and handguards from Prestigious Wood Stocks. They are nice and require a lot of fitting and profiling but that is to be expected for new furniture. My only complaint is that the brass wire is not run through the back of the fore-end but that's not a big deal and pretty easy to do if you want to.

·
Registered
Gunsmith
328 Posts
I have used No4, SMLE MkI and MkIII furniture from Prestigious and have been largely happy with the results. There have been some spots for improvement but so far he has taken criticism well and incorporated it into his production. The rear handguards for the MkI furniture are a little off right now, I need to email him about those and hopefully he will correct the minor issues (shelf for the ears is too short, rear half circle cut has rounded corners).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.