Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
5,469 Posts
Wish I knew where to look..

Does this help ?

Figure of merit for the SMLE against others of the period.

These tests were done in 1904 with the Prototype ShTLE when it was simply known as the 'Short Rifle Mk1'

(When it refers to "one of the short barrels" or "short rifles" it is refering to the "NEW" short rifle.the ShTLE)

Source :
LEE-ENFIELD Rifle Mk1. "The Short" : Communicated by the Director of Artillery, Royal United Services Institution Journal 48 Part 1 (1904 Jan/June)

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Pattern

Font Parallel Number Pattern Monochrome

· Registered
82 Posts
It was the 'Bisley Lobby' of long range enthusiasts who were responsible for the P13/14 saga-all the late 19th/early 20th century military rifles were too concerned with immensely long range instead of what eventuated as short rifles just before and then after WW1 and into WW2-something shorter, handier and lighter for troops constantly being burdened with evermore new weapons and equipment. This of course, resulted in the Assault Rifle range of weapons with a deliberately short combat range late WW2. What a shooter can do plugging away at a fixed target is very different to trying to see and hit a man in a drab uniform trying to keep a low profile at 1,000 yards or more!

· Registered
22,036 Posts
We need to find the Bisley Championships records. The SMLE was shot extensively as the 'Service Rifle', against international teams and thus there used to be a huge amount of long range data..
From memory it was found to be generally more accurate than mauser styles at very extended ranges - and prone to vertical disperal rather than the Mausers horizontal dispersal due to the locking lug positions.
Wish I knew where to look..
Hmm...never saw that in print but so much about fire arms history / performance is buried in mountains of records / books and not readily accessible . At the distances being discussed here, I do think Mauser sights are a disadvantage and Enfield sights a better sight. As for locking lugs....we got to find the soothsayer who knows the facts on this ..LOL.

I suspect the British Empire run "Indian Army" , who routinely used long range fires in NW Frontier probably recorded some amazing marksmanship performance if one could dig in the right places to surface the after action reports.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts