Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it has been discussed before but it seems to becoming more available :

Lee Enfield SMLE 4.5MM Steel BB Rifle (solware.co.uk)

Lee Enfield SMLE 4.5MM Steel BB Rifle
The SMLE Lee-Enfield Air Rifle

Fires .177-Steel-BBs powered by 12 gram Co2 capsules.

Same size and weight as the original SMLE with Wood furniture.

Metal fittings. Bolt works like the original. Detachable magazine (spare mags are available). Sling Swivels fitted. Adjustable rearsight. Working safety-catch.

Brand new and boxed with user manual. 12-months warranty.

·
Registered
778 Posts
It is silly for us in the states, for what is considered a child's toy, to be transferred via gun shop with associated fees. I wish it were chambered for lead pellets rather than steel BB's. I gave away my only air rifle years ago so this would be cool to have in .177 lead pellet ten shot rotary mag.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At leat in England & Wales it is only transferred by an RFD (Registered Firearms Dealer) so as to ensure you are over 18 years old. No licence or paperwork.

It is very different in Scotland - you have to apply to the police for a Licence to own an air rifle (just the same as for a .303 rifle).

Air weapon licensing in Scotland: guide - gov.scot (www.gov.scot)

Air weapons consistently account for around half of all offences allegedly involving a firearm in Scotland. While the overall number of offences reported is significantly lower than ten years ago, air weapon misuse is particularly associated with antisocial behaviour such as common assaults, reckless conduct with a firearm, vandalism and serious assaults. There are regular reports to the police and in the media of domestic animals and wildlife being targeted, as well as less frequent injuries involving people. Thankfully fatalities are rare, but they can and do occur.

Unlike other firearms and shotguns, there has not been any requirement in the past for people to register low-powered air weapons – defined in the Firearms Act 1968 as an air rifle, air gun or air pistol – or to be licensed to have such a weapon. Part 1 of the Air Weapons and Licensing (Scotland) Act 2015 – "the 2015 Act" - introduced a new system of licensing for low-powered air weapons in Scotland.

·
Silver Bullet member
278 Posts
It is silly for us in the states, for what is considered a child's toy, to be transferred via gun shop with associated fees. I wish it were chambered for lead pellets rather than steel BB's. I gave away my only air rifle years ago so this would be cool to have in .177 lead pellet ten shot rotary mag.
Thats $457.93. Nice, but pretty steep for an air rifle. Could come up with a real SMLE for, or at least near, that price.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats $457.93. Nice, but pretty steep for an air rifle. Could come up with a real SMLE for, or at least near, that price.

With around 16,000,000 LEs being manufactured I guess the tooling and set up costs were paid off many years ago - with a new rifle and the costs to be amortised over (probably) just a few 1000 I don't think it is an unreasonable price, for a 'novel' full size and weight LE.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts

Metal fittings. Bolt works like the original. Detachable magazine (spare mags are available). Sling Swivels fitted. Adjustable rearsight. Working safety-catch.

Does it accept the M1907 Bayonet ??

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not know - but they say it is an accurate copy and it 'looks' like it should.

I have sent them an email to find out - will report back when I get an answer.

Tool Wood Metal Fashion accessory Rectangle

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well, I already gots four of the real ones! If It IS the same size and weight as a real SMLE, then consider it a bargain to what you would pay for a similar Enfield training rifle in .22lr.

A Keystone Firearms mini- Mosin Nagant in .22lr has a MSRP in the states of $479.

·
Silver Bullet member
278 Posts

Is this the same model shown in you tube videos? Looks like they improved on the original version?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Might be fun to restock it in DP timber and laugh when people tell you not to shoot it.
Any reason not to use pellets in a smooth barrel with this one? Is it single shot or magazine/strip fed?

I already got my British Co2 fix with the licensed Webley MkVI copy.

Looks like they “Lithgowed” the nosecap for easier windage adjustments. That’s a plus.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts