Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nearly perfect SC 03A3 serial number 4871xxx. It is all correct except for the bolt parts which are Remington. What is the correct finish for the firing pin rod? I bought one from eBay advertised as blued, but it is actually a black parkerized finish. I have the option of returning it, however I have now read that a SC in my SN range should have a parkerized firing pin rod. Is this correct and should the firing pin rod be a green/gray park or black like the one I have now?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
should be natural finished blue..not high polished, not flat black... rough blue finish.
not parkerized. not black park, dark grey park or light grey park....black oxide is the commercial term for hot salts blue.
natural finish...is machined, debured, degreased and black oxide coated..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Here are my parts. The bottom one is the one i got from eBay that I thought was parkerized. Looking at it again, it does look like a gray/black park. The one above it is what I would call blued, but it is a deep blue-black. I think this is what Chuck was talking about when he described the black oxide finish. I guess I'm still learning. :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
upper rod is blued {black oxide} the lower is parkerized...phoshate coated.. the upper would be correct . the safety sleeve should be marked G on the front edge were it mates up to the bolt

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is easier to tell if it is a Smith Corona sleeve by the scalloped (not straight) 'top contour' of the sleeve right in front of the safety wing.
3 makers of the scalloped safety sleeve,, B.P. Bay Products, B.F. Bonny Forge, and G, General Machine..
only the G marked are original SC , the rest would be a replacement.
I have a few Bay Products sleeves. They are all marked BP on the right side. If the Bonney Forge ones are similarly marked it would be safe to say that a scalloped one without a telltale marking is probably a Smith Corona. Disassembling the bolt to confirm the presence of the G would be needed for a positive ID, but at a glance that should give you a pretty good idea. Does this make sense to you guys?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Original finish on my SC bolt. Note the "belt" just in front of the knob on the cocking piece, rounded corners of the safety with serifed letters, scalloped bolt sleeve, and slight swept curve of the bolt handle. ALL distinct features of SC bolt parts.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.